Moving Around the Country in Mooneys

jgarrison

Is there a place to post needing rides to pickup or drop off Mooneys or help moving Mooneys around? If not, how hard would it be to do that (i.e. add a topic line on MS with needs or opportunities)?

With the Virus thing happening, I am guessing a lot of us don't want to airline right now (or ever). Getting your planes to maintenance and a ride home could be a challenge also. I currently have planes on both coasts that I need back in TX. For example, I could fly someone's Mooney out to them from TX if we could coordinate and then fly the subject planes back home.

I have more on my plate than I can handle already, but I could possibly help coordinate if someone could help me think through the mechanism of how this would work.

5 hours ago, jgarrison said:

Is there a place to post needing rides to pickup or drop off Mooneys or help moving Mooneys around? If not, how hard would it be to do that (i.e. add a topic line on MS with needs or opportunities)?

With the Virus thing happening, I am guessing a lot of us don't want to airline right now (or ever). Getting your planes to maintenance and a ride home could be a challenge also. I currently have planes on both coasts that I need back in TX. For example, I could fly someone's Mooney out to them from TX if we could coordinate and then fly the subject planes back home.

I have more on my plate than I can handle already, but I could possibly help coordinate if someone could help me think through the mechanism of how this would work.

Someone (@HRM?) is looking for a ferry pilot, TX to NC. Maybe that could work for you?

5 hours ago, jgarrison said:

What I have found is that you just have to post it. I did and received quite a few offers--now it is just a question of logistics.

I’m going to bid for a 6 month leave of absence from AAL.  I will keep my non-rev and JS benefits, so, I’d be happy to help move mooneys around.  If you need help, let me know.  I just hope I’m senior enough to hold the VSLOA.  

• Like 6

Let’s think through how this could work....

Some basic logistics...

Some basic cost sharing...

Some basic distances...

Then there is the pro pilots... which may be required in some cases...

issues... insurance... experience... currency... (IFR or not)

1) NJ pilots often have the need to drop a plane off for service... to be picked up again a few days later...

Often a trade of rides has worked pretty well...

2) longer distances... like getting the tanks resealed... several states away...

That would require chains of people wanting to go to the same place... and return close to the place they left... or commercial flights would be required... economics leans towards cheap commercial flights planned in advance...

3) really long distance... Taking an O from NJ, and bringing back an Acclaim.... the only help I would need... wait... that dream is really on hold for a bit... :)

4) Awesome opportunity to fly in a different Mooney... Go out in a Standing O, come back in an M20C!   :)

5) For the right CFII... delivering a plane from TX to the new owner... and giving some TT on the way home...

Jimmy, Is this anywhere close to what was being asked?

6) Start a thread called shared rides...

7) write a first post of what needs to get done

• a certain plane needs to get moved
  • from point A to B
  • within a range of dates...
  • pilot requirements...

8) see what kind of responses show up...

9) Sounds like an experiment that can easily be mis-interpreted... the clearer the writing, the better the communication...

10) Got anything moving between TX and NJ?

If the thread gets wings.... We can get Craig to create a section specifically for this type of activity...

Best regards,

-a-

6 hours ago, jgarrison said:

As of this date, 3/19/2020, I don't think that would be possible in California, as the whole state has been forced to "shelter in place".  Reviewing the rules associated with that declaration by the Governor, that means GA, except as relates to health service flying, is shut down.

6 hours ago, jgarrison said:

@jgarrison, if you have need for pilot or ride I can help in MN/Wi/Illinois/Iowa or Michigan.

have C will travel!

F, C, J, numerous variation of K’s 

(not to mention pipers from warrior up through Malibu)

I have or know of planes needing to be moved either to or from TX.

TX to NY

TX to NC

TX to PA

PA to TX (I see an opportunity here)

FL to TX

CA to TX

I am going to think through a process by which to coordinate this and other movement needs. Anthony, as usual, has some good points. Always open to ideas.

On 3/19/2020 at 8:10 PM, donkaye said:

As of this date, 3/19/2020, I don't think that would be possible in California, as the whole state has been forced to "shelter in place".  Reviewing the rules associated with that declaration by the Governor, that means GA, except as relates to health service flying, is shut down.

Don,

I respectfully disagree. I am driving to Eureka CA from Las Vegas next week to test fly my Mooney - it has been AOG since October.

As it happens neither the governor, state public health officer, nor any local public health officer has the authority to order people to shelter in pace or order businesses to close.
The article and video break it down nicely.

I’m in full agreement with the article posted.  Where the problem may surface is the inconvenience of having to explain/defend the law while you and/plane/car are effectively held hostage under the “shelter in place” “order.”  Simple acts such as getting fuel (because someone with a freshly inked name tag said they couldn’t activate the fuel pumps during this order...) could be an interesting ordeal.  

@donkaye @cbarry

https://covid19.ca.gov/img/EssentialCriticalInfrastructureWorkers.pdf

recreational aviation is still okay.

TRANSPORTATION AND LOGISTICS
Sector Profile
The Transportation Systems Sector consists of seven key subsectors, or modes:
- Aviation includes aircraft, air traffic control systems, and airports, heliports, and landing strips. Commercial aviation services at civil and joint-use military airports, heliports, and sea plane bases. In addition, the aviation mode includes commercial and recreational aircraft (manned and unmanned) and a wide-variety of support services, such as aircraft repair stations, fueling facilities, navigation aids, and flight schools.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

@donkaye @cbarry

https://covid19.ca.gov/img/EssentialCriticalInfrastructureWorkers.pdf

recreational aviation is still okay.

TRANSPORTATION AND LOGISTICS
Sector Profile
The Transportation Systems Sector consists of seven key subsectors, or modes:
- Aviation includes aircraft, air traffic control systems, and airports, heliports, and landing strips. Commercial aviation services at civil and joint-use military airports, heliports, and sea plane bases. In addition, the aviation mode includes commercial and recreational aircraft (manned and unmanned) and a wide-variety of support services, such as aircraft repair stations, fueling facilities, navigation aids, and flight schools.

Remember that the shelter in place order is not limited to state law but also is affected by the laws of local jurisdictions. For example recreational aviation is not per se essential travel under my reading of the order issued by six (or perhaps more, now) counties in the Bay Area.

19 minutes ago, Flash said:

Remember that the shelter in place order is not limited to state law but also is affected by the laws of local jurisdictions. For example recreational aviation is not per se essential travel under my reading of the order issued by six (or perhaps more, now) counties in the Bay Area.

Also, I would not be real thrilled about getting on a Commercial airplane for either the trip to or the trip back from ferrying an airplane.

I had a pleasant experience along these lines just 2 weeks ago.  My plane was at N87 for some work.  I flew it down and took the train back.  Two weeks later the COVID issue was heating up an a fellow Mooneyspacer flew me down to pick it up.  Worked out well for both of us.  OWD to N87 - 1:40min.  Zero Covid risk.  It is nice belonging to this group.

Felt quite safe flying over JFK at 7500 ft.

John Breda

• Like 2

If it makes you feel any better...

Many airlines are still operating, for the moment, at levels far beyond what the market is demanding. Airplanes are flying around 80% empty. Airlines have stepped up their cleaning protocols. Cabin air is refreshed completely every 3 minutes, and that which is recirculated goes through HEPA filtration. Should be possible to get some space, at least more space than next to someone in a Mooney.

That said, I am not trying to sell you on commercial air travel.

Thoughts from the sidelines, haven't been in a big airport since the very beginning of things starting to teeter, a few weeks ago...and wondering what the future holds for the career until this is all over.

Edited by Immelman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Niko182 said:

I think we should make a forum just like beechtalk has. I for example will be needing a ride in 3ish weeks from CA to phoenix. Im also happy to help ferry from CA to texas.

I’m not sure what BT has...

But, the way new forums have been handled in the past...

1) Start a thread (like Jimmy has done here already)

2) Add to it...

3) see if it works...

4) Adjust it...

5) Fine tune it...

It won’t take very long to see if the idea takes off... :)

Best regards,

-a-

15 hours ago, Immelman said:

If it makes you feel any better...

Many airlines are still operating, for the moment, at levels far beyond what the market is demanding. Airplanes are flying around 80% empty. Airlines have stepped up their cleaning protocols. Cabin air is refreshed completely every 3 minutes, and that which is recirculated goes through HEPA filtration. Should be possible to get some space, at least more space than next to someone in a Mooney.

That said, I am not trying to sell you on commercial air travel.

Thoughts from the sidelines, haven't been in a big airport since the very beginning of things starting to teeter, a few weeks ago...and wondering what the future holds for the career until this is all over.

I've been teleworking for 3 full weeks.  This means that I'm spending 5-7 hours per day on online teleconferences.    Multiple trips for meetings I was supposed to attend are canceled, including my attendance to big conferences that were canceled in the U.S. and Europe.   I was supposed to go to Vienna in early May.   That's not happening.  My typical commercial butt-seat-mile count averages 30,000-50,000.  This year, 0.0 and counting.  

I'm getting really tired of being at home on telecons almost full time, and would consider a long trip in my C using personal time off just to get out of the house- after I get a nose gear door fixed Saturday, that is.  :)

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 5:47 PM, Niko182 said:

I think we should make a forum just like beechtalk has. I for example will be needing a ride in 3ish weeks from CA to phoenix. Im also happy to help ferry from CA to texas.

When you are ready for your trip from CA to Phoenix, hit me up, I may fly over to pick you up - as long as you are comfortable riding in my 'C' :)

I would enjoy the flight time.

need to get from the Jacksonville area to KCAK with my instructor the first or second week of April.  Will be purchasing a nice M20j and hopefully flying it back to KSGJ.  Anyone interested in ferrying two people who will "share the fuel" cost please let me know.  Wife won't let me fly commercial and it would be a long rented car ride.