PC uncommanded turn

Hello,

I have a PC system in my M20C and had an issue with it on a few occasions.  When I return to level from a banked turn, the system wants to turn left and I have to fight it or disengage it.  This occurred after both a right and a left turn.  After about a minute or so, it will stabilize and stay wings level.  The AccuTrak and AccuFlite were both off when this happened.

Last night, I took a flight performing a number of left and right turns with and without the disengage button pressed including a steep turns and I was not able to get this to happen again.  It is an intermittent issue and I can overpower it or disconnect it with the button, but I am concerned this will happen in IMC where it could pose a larger problem.

Any thoughts on what to check?  

Thanks,

Chris

9 minutes ago, cferr59 said:

Hello,

I have a PC system in my M20C and had an issue with it on a few occasions.  When I return to level from a banked turn, the system wants to turn left and I have to fight it or disengage it.  This occurred after both a right and a left turn.  After about a minute or so, it will stabilize and stay wings level.  The AccuTrak and AccuFlite were both off when this happened.

Last night, I took a flight performing a number of left and right turns with and without the disengage button pressed including a steep turns and I was not able to get this to happen again.  It is an intermittent issue and I can overpower it or disconnect it with the button, but I am concerned this will happen in IMC where it could pose a larger problem.

Any thoughts on what to check?  

Thanks,

Chris

I usually just restart microsoft flight simulator when my PC is giving me an issue.

If there is a leak on left or right side of the system, it will turn away from that side.   If there is vacuum loss, it will turn whichever way your rigging wants to go or will be sluggish to respond.   If your TC is messed up, no telling.  

I would start by checking vacuum on the right side of your system.  Usually these things can be fixed with some electrical tape. 

Edited by Browncbr1
  • Like 2

Thank you everyone for the advice.  I inspected the lines as best I could and the aileron and rudder servos.

I found that the forward rudder servo (the one with the red line) has a small tear in the boot.  I am somewhat skeptical that this is the cause due to the intermittent nature of the issue, but it seems to me that this needs to be fixed before further troubleshooting.  Fortunately, I have 2 spare rudder servos so that isn't a big issue.  I'll report back once it is swapped and I have a chance to take a few flights and try to repro again.

1 hour ago, cferr59 said:

Thank you everyone for the advice.  I inspected the lines as best I could and the aileron and rudder servos.

I found that the forward rudder servo (the one with the red line) has a small tear in the boot.  I am somewhat skeptical that this is the cause due to the intermittent nature of the issue, but it seems to me that this needs to be fixed before further troubleshooting.  Fortunately, I have 2 spare rudder servos so that isn't a big issue.  I'll report back once it is swapped and I have a chance to take a few flights and try to repro again.

Sounds like you’ve found the problem.  Rudder will definitely cause it to turn.  I’ve heard that flexseal tape works great on rubber boot tears..

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

leave out the negativity, and the world is a nicer place...

People will appreciate YOU, even better.

Best regards,

-a-

While I certainly agree with the sentiment, I'm confused by its appearance here  . . . .   :wacko:

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

leave out the negativity, and the world is a nicer place...

People will appreciate YOU, even better.

Best regards,

-a-

I recommend the block feature for that user.   I’ve really enjoyed not seeing anything he posts. :)