Airport status

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

@Denver98 was saying that Delta asked KDEN if they could park 300 airplanes here... they were turned down.

Considering that UAL is the biggest tenant at DEN, I’d expect to see lots of blue tails parked at DEN.  AAL is going to park 450 jets, 130 wide body jets and 320 narrow body jets.  If I had to guess there will be a lot of Red, White and Blue holding down concrete in TUL, SAT, AUS and DFW.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, philip_g said:

Commercial crews yesterday were flying to Las and had no idea the tower was closed. How do you not brief this?

There's a "Flight Hazard" TFR around it due to the unstaffed tower.   Not sure how you'd miss that.

Edited by EricJ

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

There's a "Flight Hazard" TFR around it due to the unstaffed tower.   Not sure how you'd miss that.

They did a TFR because all the nutty people in trainers went to do touch and goes in their 172 and mix it up with the heavy metal.

• Like 1

Back in the 80s I was flying into Scotts Bluff NE (KBFF). It was an uncontrolled field with airline service. I reported turning base for 30, I immediately heard the first call from the airliner (Frontier 737) "Frontier 1234 on a 5 mile final for 30, you better get that plane out of my way!" What an ass!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Back in the 80s I was flying into Scotts Bluff NE (KBFF). It was an uncontrolled field with airline service. I reported turning base for 30, I immediately heard the first call from the airliner (Frontier 737) "Frontier 1234 on a 5 mile final for 30, you better get that plane out of my way!" What an ass!

I had the same experience, only airliner never communicated beyond announcing initial call 10 miles out.   I kept announcing my progress with each landing leg, which I’d begun long before airliner announcement.

Short final I was and over the top flew the airliner and landed ahead of me. It was a complete shock to me, and a lesson learned. 

20 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Well, it looks like Delta is taking my advice. I just read a news article that they are parking all their wide bodies at KMZJ....

https://news.yahoo.com/delta-united-other-airlines-sending-195832455.html

Buy stock in Ascent Aviation Services!

https://ascentmro.com/

I'll bet Kingman is filling up, too, and probably Goodyear.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

I had the same experience, only airliner never communicated beyond announcing initial call 10 miles out.   I kept announcing my progress with each landing leg, which I’d begun long before airliner announcement.

Short final I was and over the top flew the airliner and landed ahead of me. It was a complete shock to me, and a lesson learned. 

They both should have their license pulled!

The thing is, if he would have asked nice I would have gladly broken off my approach. As it was I completed my landing and was off the runway about 30 seconds before he touched down.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

They both should have their license pulled!

The thing is, if he would have asked nice I would have gladly broken off my approach. As it was I completed my landing and was off the runway about 30 seconds before he touched down.

I did approach the pilots in the cockpit of the plane ( no security or TSA back then) and asked them WTF?

The reply was, they never heard nor saw me.

It was beyond frightening as we all could have become statistics that day .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1