Airport status

Hey Omar,

haven’t seen anything yet...

There is some maximum fear mongering going on television earlier today... 

That included shutting everything down for a month...

Sounds easier than reality can allow...

PP thoughts only, not a public health expert...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

California San Carlos general aviation airport is restricted to "essential flights only" due to shutter-in-place mandate for their county.

You can read all about it................@Flash post under, General Mooney Talk, Now Is A Great Time To Self Quarentine. 

45 minutes ago, 59Moonster said:

SLC is shut down! However that is from today's earthquake not COVID-19.

This morning O'Hare was class echo because the tower has too many infected. 

It was MDW that the tower is shut down at.  ORD was still good to go.  Though I still don’t think they’d sequence a Mooney in for a full stop. 

Dare County Regional in NC is the first I'm aware of to close on the East Coast.  Dare County went one step further and requires proof of residency on the outer banks to get in...

https://www.darenc.com/departments/emergency-management/entry

Brian

03/008 Aerodrome Airport Closed Except 1HR Prior Permission Required 252-475-5575 OR 252-475-5576. 17 MAR 19:30 2020 Until 31 MAR 23:00 2020. Created: 17 MAR 19:17 2020
03/009 Aerodrome Airport Closed Except MEDEVAC. 17 MAR 19:30 2020 Until 31 MAR 23:00 2020. Created: 17 MAR 19:17 2020

California San Carlos general aviation airport is restricted to "essential flights only" due to shutter-in-place mandate for their county.
You can read all about it................@Flash post under, General Mooney Talk, Now Is A Great Time To Self Quarentine. 

I read that post but did not see anything specific to the airport. Certainly one can extrapolate non essential travel to include private aircraft. My home airport, KRHV, is also in the shelter in place zone. I listened on LiveATC today and planes were coming and going. Tower never asked a pilot if they were essential or not. It was pretty quiet, but weather was poor also.

1 minute ago, larryb said:

I read that post but did not see anything specific to the airport. Certainly one can extrapolate non essential travel to include private aircraft. My home airport, KRHV, is also in the shelter in place zone. I listened on LiveATC today and planes were coming and going. Tower never asked a pilot if they were essential or not. It was pretty quiet, but weather was poor also.

San Carlos Airport admistrative office is closed per recorded announcement.   Recording also states airfield is open, but only for essential flights.

1 650 573-3700.

San Carlos Airport admistrative office is closed per recorded announcement.   Recording also states airfield is open, but only for essential flights.
1 650 573-3700.

But nobody calls the administrative office. Listening to ATIS business as usual. Doing a flight brief there are no NOTAMS. I am pretty sure you could come and go and nobody would ask you to state your business.
  • Like 1

Just received this email from the KRHV administrator:

Santa Clara Airports Update

03/18/2020

If you would like to see the web version of this newsletter, including images, click here: http://Countyairports.org/resources/Pages/Newsletters/20200318-Update.aspx

With all the ongoing uncertainty, I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know what is going on with the County Airports.

We continue to staff the airports to ensure they remain open and operational. Airport staff members are on-site at Reid-Hillview seven days a week between 0800-1800 with intermittent coverage at San Martin Airport. As part of the daily activities, operations staff routinely inspecting the entire airport, including the twice-daily airfield inspections and multiple daily inspections of the aircraft parking areas.

In addition, the FAA plans to continue regular staffing in the Reid-Hillview air traffic control tower. Several of the on-airport businesses are still available too, providing fuel and aircraft maintenance.

While we have closed the terminal building to the public, you may still reach airport staff via telephone or email using the contact information listed below. Please keep in mind that the accounting staff are working a reduced schedule and are available on a limited time-frame.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, philip_g said:

LAS tower is shut down

At least with LAS Vegas Approach took control. MDW didn’t have that fallback so it seems it got overrun with training T&Gs while the heavies were trying to land with what I assume was VFR self announced communication. 

1 hour ago, SkyBound said:

Note that the local municipality does not have the authority to shut an airport down for health reasons. The FAA must approve it. See this recent guidance from FAA Office of Airport compliance:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TRfyvLfeZ6kbxG7xOO1bu4Nx97B729FZ/view

--Alex

Thank you for this Alex.  I printed a copy,  just in case :)

• Like 1

San Luis Obispo [SBP] control tower has altered their daily operational times due to staffing issues.    With that, the tower controller on duty the other day during the emergency declaration, did remain on duty for quite some time after the announced closing time, making sure all was well with aircraft that were turned away during the disruption.  Super professional actions I'd say. 

2 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

aircraft that were turned away during the disruption.

What, we can't land without someone in the tower??? I'm now based at my 5th airport [counting 6 weeks at one while moving], ain't none of 'em had towers but I sure seem to have landed a lot . . . . . Even saw airline jets at KCOD, which also does not have a tower . . . . .

28 minutes ago, Hank said:

What, we can't land without someone in the tower??? I'm now based at my 5th airport [counting 6 weeks at one while moving], ain't none of 'em had towers but I sure seem to have landed a lot . . . . . Even saw airline jets at KCOD, which also does not have a tower . . . . .

Of course we can land without a tower person.   I rather enjoy using non-towered airports myself.......................I was just commenting on how I considered our controller to be quite polite and quite professional.  Just my opinion of course. :)

The airport I’m based at CYKF is about to accept a large number of airliners being parked by major carriers.  Runway 14/32 and the parallel taxiway are to be closed to make parking space.  The local flight school has closed down as has one FBO.

Interesting times.

Clarence

8 hours ago, Nick Pilotte said:

At least with LAS Vegas Approach took control. MDW didn’t have that fallback so it seems it got overrun with training T&Gs while the heavies were trying to land with what I assume was VFR self announced communication. 

That's why the FAA put in a temporary TFR over both MDW and LAS to keep the smaller traffic and T&G's out... :(

Edited by daytonabch04

Honestly, if they are still trying to land commercial traffic, I really do understand the activation of a TFR.  All it would take is one NORDO fool not talking and not really watching (or narrating a YouTube video talking about how cool he is) to cause a midair or tumble to the ground because of wake turbulence and that would virtually close it to GA like KORD is.