Question about the Positive Control System

It’s not a replacement for an autopilot. It’s closer to a knee on the steering wheel, or letting your right seat passenger hold the wheel while you unfold a map on the interstate. 

Properly maintained or repaired, they’re a good aid in the cockpit. They’re not hard to fix when they break (lots of manuals and advice available here) and I’m pretty much just letting mine ride a couple years into the future.

• Like 1

I have an M20E with the PC system and no AP.  I've got mixed feeling on PC.  It's nice on long, straight flights, especially if you run into turbulence.  It's also nice when flying in IMC (keeping the wings level while you're looking at charts, setting radios, etc.).  I don't care for it as much when flying in the pattern or maneuvering, but of course you can just disable it by holding the button down or putting something over the button to hold it down.  If mine ever stopped working, I probably wouldn't spend much to get it fixed.  I am hoping TruTrak gets certified for Mooney soon and will probably put one of those in when that happens.

Bottom line: it's okay but I would definitely not make it a major consideration, either positive or negative, when deciding whether or not to purchase a Mooney.

I’m very happy with it, when traveling it holds the GPS line perfectly but if set to track a VOR it does have a tendency to chase the needle a little bit. 
As far as like or dislike when hand flying, I’ll admit that I did not like how heavy the controls felt even with the disconnect button pressed, then I found out recently that the disconnect was not working properly! Now that the disconnect is working properly actually I think PC is the deal!  

I would definitely consider adding altitude hold if/when it becomes available again.

Edited by Culver LFA

For 1960s technology... it is brilliant..!

As an AP it is a B&W TV...  modern for its day.

If you are expecting a 70” HD color TV... you will need a more modern AP... some digital ones are on the horizon...

It comes down to one rhetorical question... How much do you want to spend?

The basic PC system only holds the wings level... without it, the plane will drift into steep turns depending on the fuel balance... Or your ability to fly and do other things at the same time...

updates are available on the used market to add following a course... and altitude hold...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-