Landings

28 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

My best landings are the ones where I am talking out loud to myself throughout the landing. I find that if I am announcing what I am doing along with saying my airspeed and power settings out loud it keeps me focused and on point.

My best landings are the ones no one else sees, the opposite is true for the ugly landings..... As far as talking out loud to myself... been doing it for years, sometimes I just don't listen :D

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

I slammed one in yesterday.  2 of my worst landings in recent times have been at the place I trained out of and have landed a gazillion times at.  not happy.

My CFI was an air force pilot.  He called those a "Welcome Aboard!" poking fun at the Navy pilots who essentially plop down on the carrier and hope the wire catches them.

• Like 1

During my PPL flight training my CFI accused me of being a Naval Aviator in a previous life as I had a tendency to dive for the deck on landings. As a retired Air Force pilot and instructor I don't think he meant  it as a compliment. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, bonal said:

During my PPL flight training my CFI accused me of being a Naval Aviator in a previous life as I had a tendency to dive for the deck on landings. As a retired Air Force pilot and instructor I don't think he meant  it as a compliment. 

I think Navy pilots touch down around 600fpm, to make sure the suspension compresses and the tail hook reaches the wire. A couple hundred feet of float is a bad thing when your entire landing zone is only 500-600 feet long . . . .

There are some here on MS who can speak both to landing procecures and to the challenge of landing on an airfield that can be a couple hundred miles away from where you left from, with zero landmarks and nothing at your departure point either.  In WWII, it was said about ded reckoning that "you reckoned right" where the ship was from your current position, or you were dead. That's never been a problem for an Air Force pilot . . . .

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, r0ckst4r said:

My CFI was an air force pilot.  He called those a "Welcome Aboard!" poking fun at the Navy pilots who essentially plop down on the carrier and hope the wire catches them.

When I plant one I usually say "take that runway!"

My brother, the Southwest Captain, says he always knows when the new FO in the right seat is a former fighter pilot, regardless of the service branch. He says everyone quickly realizes this guy/gal has been flying solo for the last x number of years.... without anyone in the seat next to him/her to critique their landings.

• Like 1

Did your therapist say that Verbal Mediation was good for you?  :)

For some reason the act of talking out loud while you are doing the same thing... helps with getting it done properly...

Like all those pre-landing things and all the other memorized check-list items...

• Gas
  • Under carriage
  • Mixture
  • Prop
  • Switches... like those speed brakes....

Don’t be afraid to say it out loud... and touch each item it goes with...

It helps you from Accidentally skipping over things.

Of course your cognitive therapist isn’t going to know you are flying a plane... :)

PP thoughts only, not a cognitive therapist... 

Best regards,

-a-