Dead Mag in the new Mooney

6 hours ago, Daneshgari said:

It did leave the factor that way. It was discovered during the transition training paid for by Mooney. Ironic. 

How much time are you into the transition?  At 35hrs and it just being discovered I would question the quality of training you are getting. I might not have the full story on that side. there have been a large number of accidents recently, and I believe poor training to be a factor in many of them. 

19 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

How much time are you into the transition?  At 35hrs and it just being discovered I would question the quality of training you are getting. I might not have the full story on that side. there have been a large number of accidents recently, and I believe poor training to be a factor in many of them. 

Time for a re-read!  Perry’s co worker is being given training not him, the hot mag was discover in this training.  I assume that his is already complete.

Clarence

11 hours ago, Daneshgari said:

It did leave the factor that way. It was discovered during the transition training paid for by Mooney. Ironic. 

The invoice is in, waiting payment. I have taken care of Eric for his time and expenses of course in the interim. Mooney has approved it as far as I know.

5 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

4 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

I missed that part

you tend to miss a lot as a troll, dear friend. The Mooney specific trainer employed by Mooney Pros, Inc., Eric R,  happens to also own one of the most respected Mooney Service centers and is very tuned into proper maintenance of not only the aircraft but as a vetted Mooney CFI, knows how to train.

• Like 5

Not being involved in the maintenance of this Mooney we can only guess, so here’s mine.

The P lead wires were crossed somewhere in production.  It makes no difference to the operation of the engine, both magnetos are impulse coupled so it will start with no harm to the engine.  

The “hot” mag can be caused by a simple broken wire, or some internal magneto issue, which it sounds like because the magneto is being replaced.

Clarence 

Thank you for all the input , right, wrong , mischievous or indifferent. There must be more engineers among us who want to resolve issues of this great product, than the ones, who seek fame on the social media. There seem to be two different issues, one cross-wiring, which was from factor, second the hot mag, which could have happened any time during its life. Both were discovered by Eric at the transition trading for my coworker at our company. The mag, will be replaced by MSC at Lapeer, once the stay-home order is released, due to the virus. Stay healthy, stay vigilant and value your lives. 

Perry

• Like 4

On 3/21/2020 at 1:25 PM, chriscalandro said:

I don’t think so. That Twin Diamond is tough to beat. At least with economy. Sure there are bigger airplanes that have more power and travel farther and faster. But those are different use cases. 

I flew in one recently and it’s a pretty amazing airplane. And I’m pretty sure it cost much less than the new Mooney. Which is the point I’m trying to make. 

Even if the cost was exactly the same.  Would you pick the Twin Diamond or the Mooney?

Is this the same airplane that has $35,000 gearbox overhauls every hundred hours? 
I’ve been watching the banter back-and-forth, and I don’t think there’s any Cirrus or twin diamond that can do that trip you posted on 41 gallons at the same speed.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Is this the same airplane that has $35,000 gearbox overhauls every hundred hours? 
I’ve been watching the banter back-and-forth, and I don’t think there’s any Cirrus or twin diamond that can do that trip you posted on 41 gallons at the same speed.

we should discuss in another thread.

47 minutes ago, Daneshgari said:

Hello all. The new mag is in and initially looked like that the problem is actually the ignition switch. We will see if that is the case. Jay at Lapeer MSC is better than great in diagnosis and repair. Stay tuned. 

It may have ignition switch issues, but it is a beautiful airplane. (I saw you taxi past - you are two hangars down from me). - Bob

2 hours ago, Daneshgari said:

Hello all. The new mag is in and initially looked like that the problem is actually the ignition switch. We will see if that is the case. Jay at Lapeer MSC is better than great in diagnosis and repair. Stay tuned. 

I had the exact problem. I replaced the ignition switch, p-leads and then finally had an IRAN done on the magnetos that only 35 hours on them. The Kelly Aerospace (Junk) magnetos that I bought had a bad capacitor one causing the hot mag and the other had a bad bearing After only 35 hours. I have since read about plenty of bad experiences with Kelly Aerospace magnetos. Good luck! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kmyfm20s said:

I had the exact problem. I replaced the ignition switch, p-leads and then finally had an IRAN done on the magnetos that only 35 hours on them. The Kelly Aerospace (Junk) magnetos that I bought had a bad capacitor one causing the hot mag and the other had a bad bearing After only 35 hours. I have since read about plenty of bad experiences with Kelly Aerospace magnetos. Good luck! 

I had a Kelly magneto overhauled, it lasted 3.2 hours home, failed runup after a fuel stop 10 nm from my home field . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. The dead mag or may be just the P-leads or the switch are still intermittent. Next we will change the switch and see how it will fair. Changing the left mag helped, but not the rpm drop is not always consistent. Sometimes it is there sometimes it is not. will report back once we got it figured out. 

Perry

• Like 1

Perry,

There is an edit button for the posts you write...

right at the bottom of the box...

Does sound like a switch/p-lead challenge when the mag drop is inconsistent...

It would be really helpful if you could download engine data to savvy...

Savvy makes it really easy to visualize the reams of data that occur during the run-up...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

On 4/5/2020 at 9:21 PM, Daneshgari said:

Hi everyone. The dead mag or may be just the P-leads or the switch are still intermittent. Next we will change the switch and see how it will fair. Changing the left mag helped, but not the rpm drop is not always consistent. Sometimes it is there sometimes it is not. will report back once we got it figured out. 

Perry

If the problem can be repeated on the ground I would bypass the ignition switch and P lead wires.  Disconnect the P leads and run 2 new 18 gauge wires (with alligator clips on one end) from the magnetos, through the vent window.  Start the engine and ground the the wires one at a time to the seat rails.  It’s exactly what the magneto switch does.

Clarence

4 hours ago, Daneshgari said:

How do I get to see what it is saying. Is Savvy a program that can do that? If so, how do I upload the data to it.

You will need to have some method of connecting your SD card to the computer you use to log in to Savvy, so once you have the card connected and can see it in File Explorer, do the following:

1. Go to www.savvyanalysis.com and sign up for an account if you do not have one.
  2. Log in to your account and hover your cursor over "Flights".
  3. Select "upload new". A new screen should appear.
  4. If the next screen shows multiple lines for breakdown and analysis, click the line for analysis, otherwise....
  5. Click "Select Files" and highlight the data file on the SD card you want to load.
  6. Once loaded, you can again hover over "Flights", select "Flights" from the drop down and the information for the individual flights you just loaded should be available.

If you have any problem with this, please feel free to PM me and I will do what I can to walk you through the process.

• Like 1