Dead Mag in the new Mooney

Hi All. Just found out that in my new Mooney with only 35 hrs the mag II was hot and also the wires were crossed from the factory. Right mag to left and left mag to right. The guys (Jay) at Lapeer MSC fixed it and we are awaiting the new mag from continental. Eric Rudningen was the one who discovered it in the transition training for my coworker. I bet if we can help Mooney to fix their quality issues, they can actually make money. No wonder why they spend two to three times more on each new unit verses the other manufacturers. They fix and repair things constantly. It is a great product that need a great process of production. 

Perry

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hi all. If we had electric mags we wouldn’t worry about hot mags. Right wrong or indifferent, the quality of a machine that we fly and our lives depends on it is not open for negotiations. The state of art in manufacturing is way passed over the times that we all should play the role of a test pilot. With today’s technology we should be able to put this beautiful and prefect design of flying machine in the hands of pilots fast, cheap and easy. No need to argue any other options. It happened to Harley, it happens to GM and many other great American products. We shouldn’t kid around this. It is the pride of our county. 

Perry 

On 3/17/2020 at 6:54 PM, Daneshgari said:

Hi All. Just found out that in my new Mooney with only 35 hrs the mag II was hot and also the wires were crossed from the factory. Right mag to left and left mag to right. The guys (Jay) at Lapeer MSC fixed it and we are awaiting the new mag from continental. Eric Rudningen was the one who discovered it in the transition training for my coworker. I bet if we can help Mooney to fix their quality issues, they can actually make money. No wonder why they spend two to three times more on each new unit verses the other manufacturers. They fix and repair things constantly. It is a great product that need a great process of production. 

Perry

Mooney will never be profitable building 20-30 planes a year.  They have a superior product, but not enough capital to gear up production or a serious sales strategy.

I had the idea, find some folks that love the product and a chunk of free time during the year.  Mooney gives them a new acclaim and $2000 expense account and their job is to cold call, doctors, small business owners, attorneys, real estate folks, etc.  The salesperson would make commission, and get to fly around in a new plane, guys with some sales skills would be lining up for the opportunity. 

With a little homework you can find out who is departing IFR and where they are going, target the cirrus guy. Show up at a fly in. All you would have to do is get them in it. It will sell itself.  

What makes Mooney a superior product? 

I have to strongly disagree here. Mooney has been making the same product since the beginning with little modification or improvements. Offerings from Cirrus, Diamond for the same money get you loads of additional comfort and features when compared to Mooney. 

speed isn’t everything and that’s what Mooney repeatedly keeps finding out. 

1 hour ago, chriscalandro said:

What makes Mooney a superior product? 

I have to strongly disagree here. Mooney has been making the same product since the beginning with little modification or improvements. Offerings from Cirrus, Diamond for the same money get you loads of additional comfort and features when compared to Mooney. 

speed isn’t everything and that’s what Mooney repeatedly keeps finding out. 

You must have never flown a Cirrus, they do wow. I would recommend flying one without engaging the autopilot, you’ll see.  I’ll say cirrus is a better company, not a better product.  

Everyone has an opinion, not saying you are wrong. 

Speed isn’t the only aspect, range is the biggest strength. 

Here is my flight yesterday, I took 71 gallons, I had 31 remaining.  No Cirrus or Diamond could carry two people, and light bags that distance non stop.  Certainly not using 71 gallons

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N98FL

• Like 1

I have several friends with Cirrus (cirri? Plural?) from a 1st gen SR20 to a new 22T. 

The same range is achievable in both the Cirrus and Diamond.
Both are exponentially more comfortable
Both are Lighter, composite airframes
The electronic and remote systems are DECADES ahead of the current Mooney offerings

The twin Diamond uses less fuel than a modern single engine Mooney and has a higher useful load.

Facts.

Edited by chriscalandro

Look, I’m just pointing out that there is a reason Mooney failed and sells so few units compared to competitors. All within a healthy growing GA market. 

when you do the research the reasons are clear. 

now the older used Mooney?  For the price there’s nothing that beats it, but the used market doesn’t keep a manufacturer in business. 

and neither do QA issues as mentioned above. 

Edited by chriscalandro
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

Look, I’m just pointing out that there is a reason Mooney failed and sells so few units compared to competitors. All within a healthy growing GA market. 

now the older used Mooney?  For the price there’s nothing that beats it, but the used market doesn’t keep a manufacturer in business. 

but... why all the negativity?

There is nobody being happy about the factory being closed...

Maybe you are bright enough to see the reasons for the closure...

All I see is the same negativity brought up over and over again...

as if celebrating their failure...

The factory could use some good ideas, some finance, and less negativity about them or their products...

Got any ideas that help?

Negativity hasn’t gotten many things to market... (I’m sure there are some, so don’t go researching them...) :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I don’t drink the same koolaid as some others around here. I call it what it is. 

Close the doors. Get the engineers together. Start over with a different name, brand, and product. The Mooney name will never attract the quality of engineering it deserves. Not with the historic lack of stability, tarnished name, or lack of modernization and innovation. 

Mooney as a company has no path to survival. Let it die. Make progress. Start new. 

Edited by chriscalandro

Check the koolaide you are drinking, Chris...

Try not to confuse negative attitude for factual statements...

The doomsday outlook reflects poorly on you, and doesn’t help anyone.

Are you interested in being helpful?

Are you interested in raining on everyone’s parade?

Have you gotten a resolution for your rain water challenge?

Are you looking for help still?

Try to stay focussed...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

Why doesn’t everyone here that feels different than I pool all their money and buy out Mooney?

I solved my problems. It wasn’t the fuel cap. 

Your life seems to be looking up...

Why not share a solution to your challenge?

If you shared some good news... that might actually help somebody else... :)

Is helping somebody else not something you want to touch?

Stating that you solved your problem is nice... pat yourself on the back... and send a post to let everyone know you took care of yourself...

You know you have had the same problem for months... several people have spent time trying to help you out...

Ever think that you may have an idea that might be helpful for somebody else?

Its not like its too much trouble, or you don’t have time...

In the same amount of time, and space, you could have mentioned some good detail... with what you already took the time to write...

Generally MS is about helping each other out...

• Stay positive
  • Share some help
  • get some help in return

Complaints and negativity wears on everyone...

Gloating or self congratulation is equally unappreciated...

Times are tough lately... let’s avoid dragging it out...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

I don’t think so. That Twin Diamond is tough to beat. At least with economy. Sure there are bigger airplanes that have more power and travel farther and faster. But those are different use cases. 

I flew in one recently and it’s a pretty amazing airplane. And I’m pretty sure it cost much less than the new Mooney. Which is the point I’m trying to make. 

Even if the cost was exactly the same.  Would you pick the Twin Diamond or the Mooney?

Edited by chriscalandro

26 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

Even if the cost was exactly the same.  Would you pick the Twin Diamond or the Mooney?

Go Mooney!

Twin engine planes don’t always behave as predictably as single engine planes... for all pilots...

Probably can’t make friends exposing this idea on DiamondSpace... :)

The Mooney is still a better plane...

And it’s variable costs are light years better...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

I owned a new out of the factory D42VI for a year in 2018 with FIKI. A very nice plane for good weather flying. Throw rough air, rain, cross wind and ice is would not handle it anywhere close to Mooney. It wouldn’t fit into my normal hanger and about 30 Kt slower even flying in the yellow ark. Great people at the factor, but anywhere else service is very limited on those engines. I had many quality issues with it. Things coming apart etc. they fixed it all. The annual was twice as a Mooney etc. I would buy it again as a recreational plane if it was a bout 2 ft shorter wingspan. That is the plane I sold to by this Mooney. All problems are gone with the weaknesses of the DA42VI abilities. FWIW. 

Perry 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

and neither do QA issues as mentioned above. 

It’s not really fair to blame Mooney for the failure of a Continental manufactured magneto,  the crossed P lead wires yes, but in this case it would make no operational difference to the engine.

Clarence