Annual Inspection; new A&P/IA see things others haven't

Great MSer details, Tigers!

It is extra cool when an MSer calls the factory for support, and shares the details here! :)

Old grease gets pushed out...

each time an oz of grease goes in... a very similar amount comes out the other side.... hence the reason for removing the other grease zerk...

high viscosity grease is good at pushing out lower viscosity grease... a good self cleaning situation...

Lower viscosity grease tends to tunnel through higher viscosity grease... leaving a lot of old grease behind...

This was discussed earlier in a thread of why in some cases opening up the prop to clean out old grease is a good way to go...

Something to consider when a different type of grease is going to be used...

If a giant blob of grease has been injected in the prop that doesn’t belong there... it will take a while to spread out... and the imbalance will cause a vibration...

PP summary only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I know there isn’t a requirement to IRAN or OH the prop but after reading the anecdotes of horror (and the relatively low cost of an IRAN/reseal) it’s not a bad idea while the engine is out of commission.

Let’s say that the engine run tests are without anomalies (no leaks, cycling issues, or vibration). How long of a warranty would be reasonable in this situation in lieu of the propeller being removed and inspected?

I forgot to make it clear that Hartzell’s ***official stance*** on my situation is to have the propeller removed and inspected; the Hartzell technician made it clear though that running it and using it as is if it doesn’t have any issues would be fine. He recommended that I contact the FSDO but that seems like it could shake the beehive.

Airworthiness is in the eyes of there mechanic.  A guy looked at my old 150 just after it came out of annual.  He said it would take 7 AMU's to make right, and that was in 2003.  I learned my lesson.  Don't believe everything you hear out of the mouth of a mechanic.

We all like it when they come up with squawks, because that make us think they're so meticulous.  

Airworthiness is in the eyes of there mechanic.  A guy looked at my old 150 just after it came out of annual.  He said it would take 7 AMU's to make right, and that was in 2003.  I learned my lesson.  Don't believe everything you hear out of the mouth of a mechanic.

We all like it when they come up with squawks, because that make us think they're so meticulous.  But a tear in the floor?  Really?

I would want to see pictures of the tear in the floor.    I would also be checking the dates on the tags on your hoses.   It is always good when owners get to know their plane and the maintenance.   I keep asking where all that extra grease in your hub has gone.   I would have to guess it has pushed the piston back and when you try to adjust the prop you are going to have a grease explosion.   and You will probably blow out a seal.

3 hours ago, Yetti said:

I would want to see pictures of the tear in the floor.    I would also be checking the dates on the tags on your hoses.   It is always good when owners get to know their plane and the maintenance.   I keep asking where all that extra grease in your hub has gone.   I would have to guess it has pushed the piston back and when you try to adjust the prop you are going to have a grease explosion.   and You will probably blow out a seal.

I can snap a photo of the damage and post it. It is quite odd as I can't imagine what would cause this tear. Its not structural so its merely cosmetic in my opinion. I might have to delay the hose replacement work; I'm going to wait and see what the estimate is. Might not be worth my time doing it myself under part 61 Preventative Maintenance. The ignition wires are quite worn in places with the wear through the silicone sleeve past the braid. When I spoke with Hartzell today they said that the hub can actually take a lot of grease before it will "fill" like the photo Cody posted. My math puts it at about 80oz in the entire assembly plus whatever the factory loaded it with during assembly.

7 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

I know there isn’t a requirement to IRAN or OH the prop but after reading the anecdotes of horror (and the relatively low cost of an IRAN/reseal) it’s not a bad idea while the engine is out of commission.

The cost of an IRAN/reseal needs to factor in the possibility that the prop shop will find your blades require overhaul, or wor$e, cannot be overhauled and will require a new prop.  My prop had gone through 3 overhauls in 20 years.  When I sent it in for an IRAN, the prop shop came back with NOPE, YOU BUY NEW PROP.

I'd do a prop IRAN for a reason, but not just because it happened to be off the motor.

The cost of an IRAN/reseal needs to factor in the possibility that the prop shop will find your blades require overhaul, or wor$e, cannot be overhauled and will require a new prop.  My prop had gone through 3 overhauls in 20 years.  When I sent it in for an IRAN, the prop shop came back with NOPE, YOU BUY NEW PROP.

Don’t you mean new blades, I assume the hub is still good?

9 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Don’t you mean new blades, I assume the hub is still good?

The cost of purchasing new blades and repairing the hub (it needed a reseal) was about 10% less than purchasing a completely new prop and had a lead time of 8 weeks instead of 2 weeks

20 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

I can snap a photo of the damage and post it. It is quite odd as I can't imagine what would cause this tear. Its not structural so its merely cosmetic in my opinion. I might have to delay the hose replacement work; I'm going to wait and see what the estimate is. Might not be worth my time doing it myself under part 61 Preventative Maintenance. The ignition wires are quite worn in places with the wear through the silicone sleeve past the braid. When I spoke with Hartzell today they said that the hub can actually take a lot of grease before it will "fill" like the photo Cody posted. My math puts it at about 80oz in the entire assembly plus whatever the factory loaded it with during assembly.

$1200 from PHT in Tulsa 5 years ago for an F.  Call them up.  That was for the fancy brown ones with integrated fire sleeve.  don't go cheap.

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

$1200 from PHT in Tulsa 5 years ago for an F.  Call them up.  That was for the fancy brown ones with integrated fire sleeve.  don't go cheap.

I bought new firesleeved hises for my C last year for ~$980 (definitely less than an even AMU). Someone in OK, I can check if you need to know.