M20M bravo tks speed brakes in icing condtions

pkofman

I remember learning years ago not to take off in slushy conditions because the gear can freeze and then not deploy.  I can’t say I have ever encountered conditions like that.  Runway snow removal is something we do very well in Minnesota.  

• Like 1

I actually have been in  the situation where only one speed brake deployed and would not retract. Perfectly sunny day,  It was not ideal under any circumstance,. I did pull the breaker and the speed brake closed with a serious "thud" , that might be a way to get one of both to close in a frozen situation should they inadvertently become frozen. Not something to plan on as a SOP but perhaps  the springs are strong enough once they lose power

In that case the sp's needed service work and it was not a cheap repair.. 

Edited by pkofman
spelling
  • Like 1

I have had the single speed brake deployment challenge once... or a few times until they got sent out...

It was recognizable... and less effective...

And... put away before the landing phase begins... :)

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

I fly an ovation with speed brakes and known Ice tks (fiki).  My plane panel is placarded prohibiting the use of the speed brakes in icing conditions for the reason stated earlier, they freeze in the extended position and having one deployed while the other retracts makes landing MUCH harder (it is doable just lots of extra work) In heavy ice it is key to be very careful how much flaps you use and of course since you don't know your new iced up stall speed, speed brakes and flaps can be a recipe for an accident.  my tks supliment states, no speed brakes in ice as well.  I have have learned to be careful with the speed brakes after I have exited icing conditions and then attempted to deploy the speed brakes on final and had only one deploy so now, if I have been in precipitation or ice and the temperatures are still in the too cold range, I don't use the speed brakes.  

• Like 1

Sound advice.
Richard Collins used to use his P210 for transportation a lot year ‘round all over the country. I recall reading an article where he said that he only used the FIKI capability to escape icing and that he wouldn’t launch on a flight with FIKI that he would have foregone without it. These little airplanes have a lot of utility, but they are not airliners. 

Skip

THIS!!

I read a lot of Collins, and when l began flying aircraft with hot props, hot plates and boots I started to diminish icing in my threat matrix.

Boy, icing up in something with real known-ice capability reinforced to me how dangerous ice is, how quickly it can accumulate, and how easy it is to underestimate.

It’s hard to read about people treating TKS in a piston as anything more than emergency equipment to help one’s odds escaping icing. There is a reason ATC and turbine pilots appreciate and take note of icing reports. Icing has killed people and it is no joke. Please stay conservative out there!
  • Like 2