WTB sheet metal trim for vacuum step.

On 3/21/2020 at 7:53 AM, bluehighwayflyer said:

That fairing has been missing from my C model since my dad purchased her in 1982.  I have been meaning to fab a replacement that whole time but still haven’t gotten around to it.  :)

Thanks for the reminder and good luck in your quest!  I really think some graph paper and scrap aluminum is all you really need, though.  I have never seen a used one for sale that looks as good as what I could make myself.

Jim

Not sure if mine has one or not....While social distancing myself at the hangar I'll check, hopefully its missing and I can fab one up and gain some speed..... :D

Okay I finally remembered to look at my 67 that was built in Dec 66.  It doesn’t have any sheet metal trim at all.  Just an opening from which the step extends.  I apologize for the delay in looking at it and sorry it’s not useful.

On 3/19/2020 at 8:18 PM, Ragsf15e said:

Interesting.  They really just made changes  to the design as they felt like it.  Do you have flush rivets all the way back like the previous years?

Yes, it has the flush rivets.  Clean wing.

Now it is essentially an MSE except with with Johnson bar, Hydraulic flaps and No inner Gear Doors.

John Breda

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 8:18 PM, Ragsf15e said:

Interesting.  They really just made changes  to the design as they felt like it.  Do you have flush rivets all the way back like the previous years?

Yes, it has the flush rivets.

Now essentially an MSE except with Johnson Bar, Hydraulic flaps and No Inner Gear Doors.

John Breda

On 3/20/2020 at 9:18 AM, FloridaMan said:

What speeds are you seeing? I get 155+ ktas here in Florida at cruise power settings. Up north it’ll cruise in the yellow at 5,000ft msl on cold days. 

Close to sea level - 150 kts

10,000 feet, 75% power, 158-160 kts

10,000 feet - everything forward  - 168 kts

17,000-18,000 feet - 75% power 175-180 kts

John Breda

1 hour ago, M20F-1968 said:

Close to sea level - 150 kts

10,000 feet, 75% power, 158-160 kts

10,000 feet - everything forward  - 168 kts

17,000-18,000 feet - 75% power 175-180 kts

John Breda

I’m guessing you’re turbonormalized? I envy the fuel burn you’re likely seeing at those speeds. 

1 hour ago, FloridaMan said:

I’m guessing you’re turbonormalized? I envy the fuel burn you’re likely seeing at those speeds. 

You guessed correctly.  Fuel burn at 75% power, about 23-24 squared is about 10.5 gallons per hour.

John Breda

26 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Rob,

Consider a couple of stainless screws with your spring cleaning...  :)

(friendly harassment for THE step guy)

Best regards,

-a-

I was embarrassed to post them when I looked.  They are small and not apparent until you take pictures....  Plane is a mess too.  We don’t have a real wash rack, so need to go to another airport or use the portable rig...but now they fenced us out of the hangar area....which is worthy of another thread.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 12:38 PM, RLCarter said:

Social distancing today, my step has the fairing, so no sheet metal work for me :(... guess I’ll clean for a while....

Seriously.  I would think by nature in that part of the state y'all are always social distanced before social distancing was cool

• 3 weeks later...

Are you still looking for one of the step trim pieces? I’m going to make a new one for mine and will part with my old one which isn’t in bad shape if you still want or need one. It will be available once I make my new one. This is off of my 66C.

Thanks,

David

EE5D01C6-B3D0-4B87-A125-996684315407.jpeg

E573489B-D97D-4E5B-BB5C-87C2D34DDBB9.jpeg

84959A01-014E-4CD1-8BC1-75D3D45893EA.jpeg

Just now, charlesual said:

Definitely want it. I was trying to fabricate one today. Came out pretty botched. If I had a template, it would be so nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I’ll try to get mine fabricated this week and then let you know that I’ll be ready to send it out.  It’s yours if you cover the shipping.

Thanks,

David

On 4/21/2020 at 7:26 PM, charlesual said:

Thats awesome!! Thank you so much. Looking forward.
Charles Davies
13123 April Circle
Lovettsville, VA 20180

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Monday I can send this your way.

Thanks,

David