Landing Gear Issue

Rusty Pilot

All was normal on preflight and runup until I raised the gear after takeoff (1974 20C with electric gear) and the manual handcrank rotated with the electric motor.  I stayed in the pattern and lowered the gear with electric gear selector switch with the handcrank once again rotating with the electric motor.  The gear indicator on the floor and annunciator light both showed the gear in proper position.  I had someone on the ground verify gear was down.  Once I landed I noticed the handcrank engagement switch was pretty far forward (80%) or so toward the manual operation position.  I plan to put the plane on jacks Saturday with a local A&P, cycle the gear and try to reposition the manual operation switch.  Have you encountered anything like this?  Do you know of anything we should be looking for?

It is your emergency extension disconnect. It is engaged. As long as the handle is still rotating, you are probably OK. If you ruin that disconnect coupling, you are in a world of hurt. They are very hard to get.

Don't even think of flying until you get this resolved. 

Did you check the engage lever? That should be a memory item.

You don't need to jack the plane to disengage the crank, just push the button back where it belongs. I did a manual extension in flight during my transistion training. Be glad the handle didn't grab your headset cord like it did mine . . .

Removing the belly, jacking the plane and looking at the spline gear is probably a good idea. Hope everything checks out alright.

The damage that might have occurred would be at the Emergency disconnected spline gear.   Remove the first large panel behind the nose well and then pull the cable off the E disconnect and inspect.

It's probably not.   But while you are there check for proper engagement and disengagement of the E disconnect.  The lever that went forward is connected by bowden cable to the lever on the disconnect.

20170201_222815.jpg

20170113_152723.jpg

20170201_211013.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great pics, Yetti!

+1 add check status of emergency gear system on every pre-flight... for all electric gear Mooneys...

The older models are protected from the back seater’s feet... newer Mooneys are more at risk for somebody activating the system accidentally...

The spinning handle comes as a surprise...   it’s been written about a few times on MS...

A great TT topic...

Best regards,

-a-