Recommendation: shoulder harnesses

Alpha Aviation.  If you have a Johnson Bar, I recommend getting the push button and inertial reel shoulder belt.  If you have electric gear, you can save a few bucks and get the fixed harness and lift buckle.

https://alphaaviation.com/mooney-m20-a-thru-k-front-fixed-strap-shoulder-lap-belt-replacement-upgrade-lift-lever-buckle/

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Not sure you can get “Full” shoulder harnesses, I’ve only ever seen 3 pt for Moonies

I have seen pictures of it but have no idea who, what, when or how.  I know it has been done but it maybe field approval type mod. not an STC????

10 hours ago, Stormy105 said:

Thanks, but no 3-point installations. I flew F-4s and had 30 years of Part 121. Had a 65 Mooney for three years in the 70s; no shoulder harness then but also I was bulletproof. Older and wiser now!

Ed

Are you going to wear a Helmut?

• Haha 2

It depends on what you want.  If you want easy, there are retractable choices.  If you want maximum protection contact Jack Hooker at Hooker Harnesses.  I have a set in my Cessna 140 and they are wonderful.  If my Mooney did not already have retractables I would most certainly use the Hookers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JimB said:

I have the Hooker Custom Harness PN 202340 in mine M20F. Haven't tested them out yet :blink: but they appear they would do the job. Well made. 

Wow, I'd love to see photos of that and understand how they anchor.  I really like the idea.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JimB said:

I have the Hooker Custom Harness PN 202340 in mine M20F. Haven't tested them out yet :blink: but they appear they would do the job. Well made. 

5 minutes ago, Ross Taylor said:

Wow, I'd love to see photos of that and understand how they anchor.  I really like the idea.

Slip into the harness, then pass it around her waist . . . . .  :lol:  :D

I've seen discussion here with pictures. It's much cleaner in a plane without a back seat. Not sure if there is a steel cage rod in the correct overhead location, or if they passed over the back seat, which would be bothersome when traveling with baggage and downright unpleasant for any backseat pax . . .

search Google and include Mooneyspace in your terms, and you may find the earlier thread(s).

Google instructions: "your search string site:mooneyspace.com", so, for example, "hooker harness M20F site:mooneyspace.com".

The "site:mooneyspace.com" restricts the search to results on mooneyspace.com.

3 hours ago, JimB said:

I asked them at Oshkosh last year if they had an STC for Mooney's and they said no.  If they did, I would install them. 

Other than an STC with an AML, I cannot install them.  We do not have the equivalent of the FAA 337 system in Canada.

11 hours ago, Stormy105 said:

Good one!   Only if they open a class for mature Moonies at Reno! And it would have to be one size smaller: not as much hair!

Thats hilarious.  I would love to have a Mooney class at Reno.  I currently race in the biplane class at Reno.  That extra wing above me is a serious obstacle for visibility to other aircraft and the oncoming pylon.  Mooneys would be pretty stinking cool.  

Maybe a highly modified big engine clipped wing "PRIMARY CATEGORY" Mooney could catch Findley in the sport class?  

• Like 1

My understanding is a STC or 337 not required for a shoulder harness unless you do a major alteration.  FAA wants older aircraft to have shoulder harnesses and requires only a log book sign off by an A&P.  You should be able to buy a basic Y harness from Aircraft Spruce and figure a way to attach it to your roll cage above and behind you without doing a major alteration.

When we recently redid the interior of our C, we wanted to add shoulder belts in the rear seat.  My hope was to put in inertial reels up front, but sheeeeez they are expensive.   We upgraded the front to push-button style buckle to avoid Johnson bar knuckle-scrapitis, with fixed length shoulder harnesses.  Then we moved the front belts with traditional lift-the-flap buckels and shoulder harnesses to the back seats.   Got a decent price on the new ones from airbelts.com.   I had to return them for shortening, which they did with no hassle and low cost.

• 1 month later...

The installation can be a Minor Alteration ( NO STC required)   but the belts have to have a TSO tag ON EACH SEGMENT OF THE BELT

Usually the inertia reel is mounted behind and to the left of the pilot .on the vertical fuselage tube between the windows, There is an AN tubing clamp that tightens around the tube.

Some people use regular lap belts and make up a long belt with eyes on each end  They pass that belt through the secured back seat belt and drop each end over each shoulder and when the put their own lap belt on they slip  each loop of the back seat onto their lap belt and secure all. 

Not recommended by me (too much fwd motion in a crash) but some do it and as its not secured the airframe I guess no sign off is used. 

17 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Hooker Harness?  The only thing I find is a 2012 website with some 2008 pricing

Yeah, pretty useless website.  But, I bought my shoulder harness from them in November 2017...so, they were still around then.  Wife made me take the HOOKER patch off the webbing, however:D