66' M20E Panel/Overhead Lighting

Hey guys. Does anyone know what type of bulb is in the overhead lamp to imluminate the red light for the panels during night flying? I don't think my airplane has backlit instruments because I didn't see a switch for said lights. As of right now the overhead lamp is inoperative. I'm assuming it is just an old bulb but I could be wrong. Any guidance in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Also, if anyone has a better solution to panel lighting I'd love that as well! I do carry a headlamp that switches between white and red light. 

4 hours ago, Keith20EH said:

BF079071-2AA5-4D39-8C25-DAB6EC9B383F.jpeg.0e3cd3954fc4ec81a89d09a9e5857fb3.jpeg

I took one of those and wired LEDs into it. Works great. Of course, that was about 5+ years ago--I think you might be able to just buy an LED in a GE67 base.

Just in case you didn't know... because I didn't when I bought our '66 E... the dimmer switch for the panel lights is on the ceiling next to those overhead bullet lights. I didn't realize that and I thought my panel lights were burnt out and I couldn't locate a switch either. I'm not saying that's your issue, but it sounds very much like my own "learning opportunity." :)

Just now, Ross Taylor said:

Just in case you didn't know... because I didn't when I bought our '66 E... the dimmer switch for the panel lights is on the ceiling next to those overhead bullet lights. I didn't realize that and I thought my panel lights were burnt out and I couldn't locate a switch either. I'm not saying that's your issue, but it sounds very much like my own "learning opportunity." :)

Hahahah I figured it out pretty quickly when i looked up. A buddy of mine has a cessna 172 with some light strapped to the top so once I couldn't find the switch I looked up and there it was. Although...I only have one. I don't know if I can get a second one or if I even need it. Thanks for the heads up though!

7 hours ago, Keith20EH said:

just pulled this out of my E, takes 2, cheap at about $2 each.  It is GE67

Thanks Keith. @siu1526sent me this link and I think these should fit in that slot 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F333022209753

4 hours ago, siu1526 said:

I replaced mine with LEDs. I got tired of burning my fingers when grabbing the map light..

I used those

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F333022209753

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were you able to get red one's?

11 hours ago, siu1526 said:

Unfortunately not. Those are the only ones i found, but i didn’t look for them in red.. The map light housing on my has a red lens. Are your map light similar to mine?

3061fc07495bf91d69456a01fa5d418c.jpg

I think my filter is red too I just didn't think of that in the moment. Thanks 

I looked on aero lites web site and they had  1.cool white 2.warm white 3. red  , for the #89 led bulb. Any recommendations for color for overhead light . I have a 1967 m20c is there a list of bulb numbers available?

i would go with the cool white. I believe they are a bit brighter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 5:25 PM, Oscar Avalle said:

Purchased these ones and they unfortunately did not work. I tried both bulbs, Master switch was on. Moved the dimmer switch in all directions. I tried everything to see if I could get them to work but they didn't. I don't know if it's an issue with the airplane or the type of bulb. 

6 hours ago, Tahir K said:

Purchased these ones and they unfortunately did not work. I tried both bulbs, Master switch was on. Moved the dimmer switch in all directions. I tried everything to see if I could get them to work but they didn't. I don't know if it's an issue with the airplane or the type of bulb. 

My guess is you have polarity reversed. Incandescents (OEM) don't care, but LEDs (unless they have a polarity sensing circuit) do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HRM said:

My guess is you have polarity reversed. Incandescents (OEM) don't care, but LEDs (unless they have a polarity sensing circuit) do.

So I should buy incandescents instead of LED bulbs?

5 minutes ago, Tahir K said:

So I should buy incandescents instead of LED bulbs?

It depends...

Some people have the ability to to troubleshoot electronic circuits...

Other people just want to replace what broke with the same stuff...

Can you do the trouble shooting yourself?  Do you want to?

Do you want to hire a mechanic to do this?

Or do you just want to swap out the old bulb with a new one...

Some projects look easier than they really are.

Some LED projects require a new style dimmer to work...

Other simply require leaving a old style bulb in the circuit... (properly)

:)

PP thoughts only, not an electrical engineer...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

It depends...

Some people have the ability to to troubleshoot electronic circuits...

Other people just want to replace what broke with the same stuff...

Can you do the trouble shooting yourself?  Do you want to?

Do you want to hire a mechanic to do this?

Or do you just want to swap out the old bulb with a new one...

Some projects look easier than they really are.

Some LED projects require a new style dimmer to work...

Other simply require leaving a old style bulb in the circuit... (properly)

:)

PP thoughts only, not an electrical engineer...

Best regards,

-a-

I feel like if I know what the problem is and what I needed to do to fix it...I could do it. I would rather not have to pay a mechanic if the simpler and cheaper solution is to just get an incandescent bulb. I guess I'm trying to go with the simplest and cheapest fix (seems to be incandescent light bulb) but if there's an easy fix to the LED bulbs I would prefer those.