M20J fuse for components hardwired to the battery?

Adi

Hey folks,

I bought a 1983 M20J whose clock, cabin lights, and fuel flow memory, are all INOP.

I spoke to Mark at Top Gun and he said he thinks it's likely a fuse in the tailcone compartment that was either removed, or has gone bad. He said he can look at it for me, but it's also possible for me to replace it directly. I'm trying to figure out where that fuse is and what kind it is. I looked in my POH & in a service manual, and this part of the electrical system is not mentioned anywhere.

Does Mooneyspace have any experience with replacing this fuse? :)

Adi

@Adi It should be a 5A standard glass fuse in a very standard looking inline holder.  Easy to see and the only one like it in the area around the battery in my case.  I also have an '83 M20J.  Soon after purchase, the same fuse blew on me, strangely enough.  It has not failed since in +800 hours in +8 years.  I bought schematics to track down just his problem.  Picture attached for your reference.  What is your SN?   This is labeled as 24-1214 thru 24-1417.  If you are outside this range, I will send you spare schematic if I have it (PM me).

-dan

Screenshot_20200314-204002_Photos.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adi said:

Hey Dan,

Thank you very much for that! My sn is 24-1381. Where did you buy the schematics?

Adi

I got these from eflightmanuals.com 5212-VO was the "part number" for the J repair manuals and schematics.  It includes electrical schematics for all J's, but you and I are too close together (I am 24-1412) so we are the same set of docs.  

Before hitting SEND, I checked their website, and they do not have the same manual anymore.   Sold out?  There is an all Mooneys from 68-84 maintenance manual, which is better than nothing.  Others may know other sources...someone who posts images from the manuals all the time... @M20Doc ?

5 hours ago, Bolter said:

I got these from eflightmanuals.com 5212-VO was the "part number" for the J repair manuals and schematics.  It includes electrical schematics for all J's, but you and I are too close together (I am 24-1412) so we are the same set of docs.  

Before hitting SEND, I checked their website, and they do not have the same manual anymore.   Sold out?  There is an all Mooneys from 68-84 maintenance manual, which is better than nothing.  Others may know other sources...someone who posts images from the manuals all the time... @M20Doc ?

As an MSC I have a complete library of Mooney manuals from which I screen shot and post pages here.  The wiring schematics for Mooney are generally one large drawing for the entire plane and can’t be easily read once posted.

Clarence

Back in the late 1980s, I got a paper manual from Mooney for my 1978 M20J. It included envelopes that had folded paper schematics. When unfolded, they were a sheet of paper maybe 2 x 3 ft. That manual is long gone. I got a current manual a couple of years ago and it was two pdf files: one for the text and one containing scans of all the schematics. The schematic scans are hard to read as the scan resolution makes it difficult or impossible to read the wire numbers. Steve Rue (Mooney Service Parts Manager) told be that the paper versions are not available from Mooney - all the have is the pdf files.

Skip

If you have the schematics on a flash drive, your local print shop can print one out large enough to read. Mine is about 3 by 4 feet. A pain to lay out on the dining room table, but a godsend for being able to trace a wire from one end to the other.

• Like 1

The M20J Service Manual Vols 1 and 2 can be downloaded from the links below.   The schematics are in Vol. 2.   I don't have any trouble reading the schematics on a decently-sized desktop computer screen.

http://mooney.free.fr/Manuels M20J/M20J/Mooney Service Manuel M20J Vol. 1 of 2.pdf

http://mooney.free.fr/Manuels M20J/M20J/Mooney Service Manuel M20J Vol. 2 of 2.pdf

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

The M20J Service Manual Vols 1 and 2 can be downloaded from the links below.   The schematics are in Vol. 2.   I don't have any trouble reading the schematics on a decently-sized desktop computer screen.

http://mooney.free.fr/Manuels M20J/M20J/Mooney Service Manuel M20J Vol. 1 of 2.pdf

http://mooney.free.fr/Manuels M20J/M20J/Mooney Service Manuel M20J Vol. 2 of 2.pdf

Thanks Eric!

Not sure who scanned these, but the quality is much better than the ones I got from Mooney.

Skip

• Like 1

I took out the fuse when I accidentally killed the battery one day accidentally turning on the cabin lights. There are numerous threads on this. When I decided I wanted the clock back I reinstalled the fuse and removed all of the cabin light bulbs.

I am an electrician by trade (among other skills).  When I got prints made, I had the electrical diagram laminated.   Then I take a straight edge and I use color coded marksalot at the turn point of wires of interest.  If you need to, you can use your bare finger to erase the otherwise permanent ink.

this method makes tracking the individual wires easier and more accurate.

just sharing

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, EricJ said:

I get my hopes up every time I see a link for the schematics, but I have yet to find a single copy where I can read the page for mine - 24-1492. If anyone has a legible version, please let me know.

TIA

1 hour ago, Oldguy said:

I get my hopes up every time I see a link for the schematics, but I have yet to find a single copy where I can read the page for mine - 24-1492. If anyone has a legible version, please let me know.

TIA

Maybe @M20Doc or someone else here has an old paper copy that they can get scanned. Both the file I got from Mooney and the link above are mostly illegible for that page. :( If no one here has it, you might call around to some of the MSCs that have been around for a long time like Maxwell, LASAR, Top Gun. 

Skip

• Thanks 1

Just now, PT20J said:

Maybe @M20Doc or someone else here has an old paper copy that they can get scanned. Both the file I got from Mooney and the link above are mostly illegible for that page. :( If no one here has it, you might call around to some of the MSCs that have been around for a long time like Maxwell, LASAR, Top Gun. 

Skip

I have paper copies of some, they are quite large.  I’m not sure how I’d scan them at work on a desktop scanner.

Clarence

1 hour ago, Oldguy said:

TIA

Ouch, that one is pretty bad.

2 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I have paper copies of some, they are quite large.  I’m not sure how I’d scan them at work on a desktop scanner.

Clarence

A good photograph is just as useful.   The trick on a large document is good, even lighting, getting it flat, shot straight, etc.

45 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

Clarence,

A commercial copy or blueprint shop would have a large format scanner. Easy to try @EricJ's suggestion and see if you can get a better copy.

Skip