Now is a Great Time to Self Quarantine

GeeBee

55 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

...what happened to the good old days of "pop".  I'll have a pop.

And in other parts, everything is a "coke".  Even fizzy lemonade is a coke.

Pop is Midwest through and through.  I learned to fly at a little airport north of Lafayette, IN and it was called "pop"  just like it is in KS.   Oddly in Maryland people call vending machines "Pop Machines" but they typically don't call soft drinks pop.  Regional colloquialisms are weird.  

7 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Pop is Midwest through and through.  I learned to fly at a little airport north of Lafayette, IN and it was called "pop"  just like it is in KS.   Oddly in Maryland people call vending machines "Pop Machines" but they typically don't call soft drinks pop.  Regional colloquialisms are weird.  

I speak Maryland-eese.  Born and raised.  Historically - back when I was a wee one - people did refer to a soda pop and occasionally a pop.  I want to say that is more eastern shore Maryland-speak.

Just now, aviatoreb said:

I speak Maryland-eese.  Born and raised.  Historically - back when I was a wee one - people did refer to a soda pop and occasionally a pop.  I want to say that is more eastern shore Maryland-speak.

Interesting! So the "gone to hospital" or "off to university" of the Brits should not surprise someone from a state that goes "down the ocean" or "downey oshin". 

My mother was a stickler for communication when I was a child. If I ended a sentence or question with a preposition the conversation stopped until I rephrased. My mom was a fan of the phrase "behind the at"...if any child in her presence asked "where's he at" or "where's it at" , that was her reply.   She got a lot of tilted head dog looks from kids who had no idea what she meant.   It wasn't until I moved to Baldamercity in my twenties that I really encountered the Merlin accent.  

You'll enjoy this.

https://www.robinsweb.com/maryland/merlin.html

On 3/23/2020 at 4:50 PM, Igor_U said:

Ross,

That is really typical, one upgrade leads to another. I've done my GTX335 install and replaced the RHS panel, added number of CBs and such. Good luck.

Having '67F as well, I'm curious about the the curtains. Were those options or standard equipment? Do you have a picture of parts holding them?

Regards,

Hi Igor,

Standard as far as I know.  I removed them during an interior refurb 10 years ago.   They look very retro.  I will take a few pics once they are reinstalled.

20 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Interesting! So the "gone to hospital" or "off to university" of the Brits should not surprise someone from a state that goes "down the ocean" or "downey oshin". 

My mother was a stickler for communication when I was a child. If I ended a sentence or question with a preposition the conversation stopped until I rephrased. My mom was a fan of the phrase "behind the at"...if any child in her presence asked "where's he at" or "where's it at" , that was her reply.   She got a lot of tilted head dog looks from kids who had no idea what she meant.   It wasn't until I moved to Baldamercity in my twenties that I really encountered the Merlin accent.  

You'll enjoy this.

https://www.robinsweb.com/maryland/merlin.html

I like that link - it is spot on - but for the spelling of Merlin is conveying the sound natives make when they say Maryland.  But the sound of the word Merlin has an errr sound when said in most places in the country.  The way a native says Maryland is Marilyn like Ms Monroe's name.

I have friends in Yerp.

Edited by aviatoreb

11 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I like that link - it is spot on - but for the spelling of Merlin is conveying the sound natives make when they say Maryland.  But the sound of the word Merlin has an errr sound when said in most places in the country.  The way a native says Maryland is Marilyn like Ms Monroe's name.

I have friends in Yerp.

In Hah-erd (Howard) Canny (county) they say Merlin...two syllables.

Just now, aviatoreb said:

I think you are right.  My home town in Bethesda area and Rockville, its Marilyn.

Bethesda is kind of the Beverly Hills of the state...culturally, it's more DC than MD.  I worked there for a number of years.  My office was in the twin towers on corner of East West highway and Wisconsin.  When you were a kid that area was where the hotshops were located. I like that area but I am happy to be out in the sticks now!

Anybody see this? @aviatoreb?

he United States will see an earlier turning point in the fight against coronavirus, according to Michael Levitt, the Nobel laureate who correctly calculated that China would get through the worst part of its outbreak faster than other health experts believed.

The Stanford University biology professor believes that a similar outcome is possible in the U.S. and other parts of the world.

“What we need is to control the panic,” Levitt told The Los Angeles Times, while agreeing with strong measures to battle the outbreak, including social distancing mandates. In the grand scheme, he said, “we’re going to be fine.”

This view stands in stark contrast with other public health officials who have said that we may be weeks or even months away from having the COVID-19 pandemic fully under control.

Levitt, who received the 2013 Nobel Prize in Chemistry, was able to predict with a high degree of accuracy when China would begin to see a decline in COVID-19 cases in a report he shared with friends early in February. He forecast China would see around 80,000 cases, with about 3,250 deaths. As of March 16, China had 80,298 cases and 3,245 deaths.

Or this?

After Nobel Peace Prize-winning scientist Michael Levitt claimed that coronavirus panic needs to be controlled, Fox News medical correspondent Dr. Marc Siegel agreed.

“There is too much mathematical modeling going on,” Siegel told “Fox & Friends.

Siegel said that projections from Johns Hopkins University and other institutions are based on “numbers they don’t really know.”

“[Levitt] is looking at China and saying ‘wait, a minute, there was a slow down here. There was a control that went on here whether it was because the virus didn’t sustain it’s spread or because public measures worked.' Both are optimistic ideas and we might see the same thing here [in the United States].”

Siegel reacted to Levitt's projection of an earlier turning point in the fight against coronavirus. The Nobel laureate correctly calculated that China would get through the worst part of its outbreak faster than other health experts believed.

I have to agree that a lot of "modeling" has been done, using baseline numbers that everyone knows cannot be accurate, resulting in widespread panic. [Toilet paper, anyone?]

Ideas? Agreement or not, and reasoning behind them???

Let's please have a rational discussion.

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

Bethesda is kind of the Beverly Hills of the state...culturally, it's more DC than MD.  I worked there for a number of years.  My office was in the twin towers on corner of East West highway and Wisconsin.  When you were a kid that area was where the hotshops were located. I like that area but I am happy to be out in the sticks now!

I know.  Quite right.  But still growing up there I have an ear for what the accents sound like from different parts of the state.

Yeah - me too - I am in NY but 7.5 hrs drive north of NYC and over the mountains and even beyond all the standard country homes of the rich and famous, right up against the border.  Right now I am very pleased to live in the middle of nowhere.  Or more like the edge of nowhere.

7 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I am very pleased to live in the middle of nowhere.  Or more like the edge of nowhere.

Nowhere is often very nice. Check out Eclectic, it's only 8 miles away, all 1001 people in the last census.

Eclectic.thumb.png.0580b132c6261778b4de8723ff4dbf20.png

Sadly, most people not from around here won't even recognize the "big cities" on the map other than Atlanta. But it's nice! It's quiet, not crowded, and it's dark at night. There ain't no Rush Hour, and a traffic jam is more than 3 or 4 cars at an intersection.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

Nowhere is often very nice. Check out Eclectic, it's only 8 miles away, all 1001 people in the last census.

Eclectic.thumb.png.0580b132c6261778b4de8723ff4dbf20.png

Sadly, most people not from around here won't even recognize the "big cities" on the map other than Atlanta. But it's nice! It's quiet, not crowded, and it's dark at night. There ain't no Rush Hour, and a traffic jam is more than 3 or 4 cars at an intersection.

No where is nice.  Very nice.    So I see you live very very close to the last A in Alabama.  hahah....

We have lived here for almost 18 years by choice.  We also have great night skies.  Look up KPTD and we are 1.5 miles to the airport.  In the winter we sometimes get aura borealis.  We live on the river and sometimes there is a bald eagle I see on a little island on a tree a few hundred yards from the house.  At night there is no sound other than wind whirring through trees.  It is a good place to seclude in the best of times.  And certainly in the worst of times.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shadrach said:

It was funny it's Pop going west till you get South Daakoota then it turns to sodaa

12 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I just went to FlightAware and I was surprised to see the system is full of airplanes everywhere.  Into jfk etc everywhere.

Well, there are still flights, but the normal volume is not there.

I've heard with as few as one passenger.

It isn't good. That said, the number of flights in and out of our airstrip (03NC) seems to have increased--GA is a great option right now as the title of this thread attests.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, carusoam said:

I got an email from the airport today...

A reminder... airports never close...

open for solo flight rentals... dual is Still a challenge...

I heard one airplane in the pattern...

Best regards,

-a-

That’s not what surprises me - it’s that there’s still a lot of heavy iron flying / are these passenger planes full of paying customers?

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

I just went to FlightAware and I was surprised to see the system is full of airplanes everywhere.  Into jfk etc everywhere.

I see almost no difference in GA traffic. My drome is pretty much business as usual other than folks keeping a 6 foot radius if they cross paths. Plenty of planes in the sky.

8 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I see almost no difference in GA traffic. My drome is pretty much business as usual other than folks keeping a 6 foot radius if they cross paths. Plenty of planes in the sky.

Right - I understand how and why GA would be still active.  I will fly my airplane today or tomorrow to keep er' humming.

But its the commercial traffic that I was expecting to see reduced, especially into places like JFK and generally the rest of the east coast much of which is on lock down.  So are these big commercial airplanes moving empty?  Or is it something else, like moving response personal and equipment?

My wife, daughter and two grandchildren came down from Appleton, WI to Orlando Sanford a week ago Wednesday.  The 160 passenger plane had 50 passengers on it.  There even looked to be “social distancing” being practiced.   My daughter and grandchildren were to fly out yesterday but the flight was canceled.  There were two flights Saturday morning about 1 1/2 hours apart with 6 seats booked on one and 30 on the other.  She took her best guess which one wouldn’t get canceled and rebooked.  As of this morning one was canceled and the one she picked is still scheduled, with 39 passengers.  Good thing as otherwise we would be filling the Lancair for the trip back.  

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Right - I understand how and why GA would be still active.  I will fly my airplane today or tomorrow to keep er' humming.

But its the commercial traffic that I was expecting to see reduced, especially into places like JFK and generally the rest of the east coast much of which is on lock down.  So are these big commercial airplanes moving empty?  Or is it something else, like moving response personal and equipment?

The airlines are certainly traveling light. I expect that even with a reduced schedule FA will look like the sky is full of airliners. I have friends that are still flying for professional reasons. Not many, but some.

23 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

The airlines are certainly traveling light. I expect that even with a reduced schedule FA will look like the sky is full of airliners. I have friends that are still flying for professional reasons. Not many, but some.

Clearly you are right but it is not what I had been guessing to see.  Especially into JFK for example that is in NYC that is in lock down.  So I don't understand what that means.  Are people, any people, still going to the airport, checking in, going to tsa, etc?

Or are maybe a lot of new flights moving emergency personal and equipment?

E