Now is a Great Time to Self Quarantine

GeeBee

My hangar quarantine is going well. I’m in the middle of a GTX 335 install. It has snowballed into a number other upgrades. Moving instruments around, cleaning up spaghetti behind the panel, removing old antennas. The only person I see other than family is my IA and we keep a safe distance.

Ive even decided to reinstall the OEM curtains for my kids sake.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

London a city of 9million  or so souls (think Finland and Denmark combined), is SO quiet it is unreal.  No aeroplanes flying overhead.  All commercial flights just not happening, noone on the streets.  Interestingly though the boys in blue are still using their sirens disturbing the silence, people are complaining about that now.  No need for sirens when there is no traffic etc on the streets.  Took me 15 mins to get to AL yesterday as opposed to the normal 40 as thee was no traffic.  Needed to pick something up and take some photos of Thomas the Tug engine that we have just bought and need to modify so it moves baby properly, so self isolated in the car, then on the walk across the airfield, then back to the car and home again.  

Dry coughing stopped, now coughing up yellow and clear gunk from WAY deep.   (Correct me if im wrong but if it goes green is when i need to worry.)  Lack of energy and shortness of breath, otherwise ok.

Andrew

WHAT CAN YOU LEARN FROM YOUR MUCUS/PHLEGM COLOUR

Your immune system has a lot of work to do while fighting off a chest cold. One of your body’s best defenses is to produce mucus to flush the virus or infection out of your system. Phlegm is the name for mucus that is coughed up from your lungs when you have a wet cough.

Whether it’s clear, white, yellow or green – the colour and texture of your phlegm can vary when you get sick and even as you get better. Though some colours are more common for certain ailments, the colour of your phlegm is mostly determined by how thick and concentrated the discharge is.

Here’s a rundown on some of the more common colours of phlegm and what it might mean for your health:

• Clear mucus: your body produces this 24/7, usually over a litre a day even when you’re healthy
  • White mucus: your nose is congested which is causing your mucus to become thicker and cloudy a virus may be present
  • Yellow mucus: your cold or flu is progressing and white blood cells are rushing to the site of infection
  • Green mucus: your immune system is working hard and your mucus is thick with dead white blood cells

Prolonged production of thick yellow/green phlegm or any other colour (dark red or brown) are a signal to see a doctor to ensure it is nothing more serious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

London a city of 9million  or so souls (think Finland and Denmark combined), is SO quiet it is unreal.  No aeroplanes flying overhead.  All commercial flights just not happening, noone on the streets.  Interestingly though the boys in blue are still using their sirens disturbing the silence, people are complaining about that now.  No need for sirens when there is no traffic etc on the streets.  Took me 15 mins to get to AL yesterday as opposed to the normal 40 as thee was no traffic.  Needed to pick something up and take some photos of Thomas the Tug engine that we have just bought and need to modify so it moves baby properly, so self isolated in the car, then on the walk across the airfield, then back to the car and home again.  

Dry coughing stopped, now coughing up yellow and clear gunk from WAY deep.   (Correct me if im wrong but if it goes green is when i need to worry.)  Lack of energy and shortness of breath, otherwise ok.

Andrew

Glad to hear that you are improving.  Please continue to take care and improve.

• Like 2

I noticed there has been no talk of the elephant in the room for several hours but I found this presentation from Captain/Dr. Samuel Philbrick USAF 525 FS/medical element in Anchorage. The presentation is simple and easy to understand as to why we are going through this nightmare. Hope it is useful to some of you.

Edited by Eight8Victor
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

88V,

Great find!

Thanks for sharing it.

I stumbled across the logic the other day...

This presentation carries the necessary weight to understand the flattening of the curve... The why the curve needs to be flattened...

And how social distancing works...

Briefly...

1) the virus grows in the lungs... irritates them, and gets ejected quite easily...

2) The attack on the lungs can lead to needing a respirator to survive...

3) respirators are in short supply for this size of an outbreak...

4) Get in early, or get in late... but don’t get sick during the peak!

5) don’t cough openly, get cover...

6) wash your hands... often, especially before eating ...

7) stay 6’ away from other people to avoid being breathed and coughed on

8) the presentation gives great details of cough, breathe, talk.... how the virus can be ejected, and how much comes with that...

9) makes we want to wear gloves... :)

It is worth viewing the video and maybe sharing with the people that live in your house... or work close to you...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I believe the WHO new term is "physical distance" in lieu of social distance.  The 6 foot thing.  They are suggesting PD so that we don't become disconnected with each other socially.  We can, and are doing that through current technology, such as MS, texting, email, etc......  Best to all ! :)

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

88V,

Great find!

Thanks for sharing it.

I stumbled across the logic the other day...

This presentation carries the necessary weight to understand the flattening of the curve... The why the curve needs to be flattened...

And how social distancing works...

Briefly...

1) the virus grows in the lungs... irritates them, and gets ejected quite easily...

2) The attack on the lungs can lead to needing a respirator to survive...

3) respirators are in short supply for this size of an outbreak...

4) Get in early, or get in late... but don’t get sick during the peak!

5) don’t cough openly, get cover...

6) wash your hands... often, especially before eating ...

7) stay 6’ away from other people to avoid being breathed and coughed on

8) the presentation gives great details of cough, breathe, talk.... how the virus can be ejected, and how much comes with that...

9) makes we want to wear gloves... :)

It is worth viewing the video and maybe sharing with the people that live in your house... or work close to you...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

And, all of this is perfectly applicable to the "normal" flu which, EVERY year, kills 20,000 to 40,000 people in the US alone. They are just as dead as the 200 who have succumbed to COVID-19.

Yet, society doesn't bat an eye, nor impose the draconian sanctions we are now experiencing.  As more data is coming in, the R0 number is dropping from the crazy high original estimates...it may well end up close to "normal" flu's 1.3...I've read recent estimates of COVID-19 may end up between 1.5 and 2.5; still a pretty wide range.  Other data is showing the fatality rate may be in the few tenths of a percent range for ideal age groups.  Again, not that different from typical flu.  Older folks don't fare well with flu, or many others, illnesses that younger people tend to weather.

Is the new normal going to be lockdowns anytime a new strain shows up, simply because we don't yet understand it?  There MUST be a risk/cost analysis done.  Clearly that didn't happen this time.

Mike,

What is making this different... is its rate of spread. Exacerbated by people that seem healthy, have the virus for days without knowing it...

with the added lethality, it has the potential to overload the current hospital system...

So ‘flattening the curve’ spreads things out to match the hospital systems...

Getting testing systems up and running would at least help people know if they need to quarantine strictly... or they may just have a different flu...

getting vaccinations developed takes a really long time... and for the ever changing flu... that is mathematically challenging... as well...

So...

Its not the new normal.

unless new viruses come along that exist in the same fashion.... for that the new normal... we will include more hospital equipment and pharmaceutical companies can stop always looking like pariahs...

For some reason, the overloading the hospitals isn’t coming out in the news conversation... (ask your friends that work in the industry...)

Apparently There aren’t that many respirators to go around... and all the support materials that help operate them are not exactly abundant either...

When it comes to triage... old and sick are going to be left on the sidelines to fend for themselves...

Stay healthy... as long as possible...

As far as the financial disaster goes...  it is going to be hard to explain...   the curve gets flattened... more people live... because hospitals didn’t get overloaded... but how bad it would have been won’t be readily noticeable... it will look very similar to somebody that made up a story...

The economy tanking is a separate challenge... overall that will rebound...

The unemployment, closed businesses and other things are going to be a tough challenge starting very quickly...

I’m Not on the young end or pure of health part of the curve....

I will be following the logic... the best I can.

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

On 3/20/2020 at 1:54 PM, Shadrach said:

My hangar quarantine is going well. I’m in the middle of a GTX 335 install. It has snowballed into a number other upgrades. Moving instruments around, cleaning up spaghetti behind the panel, removing old antennas. The only person I see other than family is my IA and we keep a safe distance.

Ive even decided to reinstall the OEM curtains for my kids sake.

Ross,

That is really typical, one upgrade leads to another. I've done my GTX335 install and replaced the RHS panel, added number of CBs and such. Good luck.

Having '67F as well, I'm curious about the the curtains. Were those options or standard equipment? Do you have a picture of parts holding them?

Regards,

24 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

The province of Ontario is ordering all non essential businesses closed as of tomorrow for 2 weeks.

Clarence

Clarence,  same in Quebec.

I think your business is falling under federal jurisdiction right? So provincial ruling does not apply. Are you staying open?

Yves

25 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

The province of Ontario is ordering all non essential businesses closed as of tomorrow for 2 weeks.

Clarence

Growing pretty common place in the last few days unfortunately. But hope you're not saying it applies to your business. Be sure to check what your province government defines as Essential businesses. We have the same order in California as of last Friday, but the entire aviation sector is listed under Essential including maintenance operations, fight training and even recreational aircraft and drones. I'd be really shocked if your essential business don't include maintenance operations.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2020 at 10:34 PM, MikeOH said:

And, all of this is perfectly applicable to the "normal" flu which, EVERY year, kills 20,000 to 40,000 people in the US alone. They are just as dead as the 200 who have succumbed to COVID-19.

Yet, society doesn't bat an eye, nor impose the draconian sanctions we are now experiencing.  As more data is coming in, the R0 number is dropping from the crazy high original estimates...it may well end up close to "normal" flu's 1.3...I've read recent estimates of COVID-19 may end up between 1.5 and 2.5; still a pretty wide range.  Other data is showing the fatality rate may be in the few tenths of a percent range for ideal age groups.  Again, not that different from typical flu.  Older folks don't fare well with flu, or many others, illnesses that younger people tend to weather.

Is the new normal going to be lockdowns anytime a new strain shows up, simply because we don't yet understand it?  There MUST be a risk/cost analysis done.  Clearly that didn't happen this time.

I believe we just have to look at Italy to see this is not at all the same as the our annual flu season.  For starters we have flu vaccines such that most of us don't get the flu every year. We won't have similar protection for COVID-19 for possibly up to another 18 months. This morning on the news they were reporting the number of deaths from COVID-19 in Italy has far surpassed their ability to dispose of the bodies. Far beyond what they see for a normal year from flu deaths. Check this page out for some quick chilling statistics: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/   

Edited by kortopates

38 minutes ago, yvesg said:

Clarence,  same in Quebec.

I think your business is falling under federal jurisdiction right? So provincial ruling does not apply. Are you staying open?

Yves

While we are federally regulated, we intend to close at the end of tomorrow.  I don’t think this virus knows the difference between federal and provincial regulation.

Clarence

On 3/22/2020 at 1:34 AM, MikeOH said:

Your arithmetic is dangerously faulty.  Dangerous because many are acting like it’s no big deal using the same faulty arithmetic to not behaved in a way commensurate with the storm of grave danger beating down upon the public.  Don’t go out to eat if your state still allows it telling yourself it’s just the flu.

arithmetic.  2% mortality x 70% infected rate times 327,000,000 = 4.5 million dead. Worse than the usual flu.  Oh you like to say it’s only .5% morbidity rate?  Great - let’s go with “only” 1.1 million dead.

but wait it can be worse than that and worse than Italy. 0.5 % is the gold standard South Korea controlled rate given best care is available. Uncontrolled then when there are no ventilators left available and they are sending critically ill home untreated then I have read numbers estimated upward of 5%. 8% and other ugly numbers - you can multiply that out yourself.

and well that’s just Americans. The world human population is 7.5 billion souls.  Arithmetic it’s easy to find numbers of hundred million fatality ... or more with the worst scenarios / a lot.

saying it’s anything less is just another version of the it’s a hoax concept.

No big deal - see you at the movie theater and the beach.  Maybe we can share an Uber on the Way back from the bar after a few beers.

• Like 1

Washington’s governor just announced statewide “stay at home” order, except for “essential services”. Under transportation Recreational aviation seems to be exempted 

Aviation includes aircraft, air traffic control systems, and airports, heliports, and landing strips. Commercial aviation services at civil and joint-use military airports, heliports, and sea plane bases. In addition, the aviation mode includes commercial and recreational aircraft (manned and unmanned) and a wide-variety of support services, such as aircraft repair stations, fueling facilities, navigation aids, and flight schools.

• Like 1