Now is a Great Time to Self Quarantine

GeeBee

27 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

The sun is shinning today here on the central coast of California.  I'm going to isolate myself in my Mooney cockpit for about an hour or so, observing the beautiful fresh earthly greenery sprouting from all of the :)wonderful recent rain...............happy day to all.

You go bwoy!  Remember we need pictures of it didn’t happen!

3 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

I have flown combat missions with the RAF.  What they lack in numbers or funding is more than made up for in the airmanship, cunning and bravery of their pilots.  The can-do attitude of many RAF pilots is something most air forces only dream of.

While their equipment is at times outdated or numbers are lacking, they generally find a way to get the job done.

Theres a quote from an RAF air to ground  pilot working his 4 ship deconfliction with a US large force mission commander that I’ll never forget:

Msn CC - “We have 3 4 ships of strikers and 2 bombers on these routes we need you to deconflict from.”

RAF Pilot - “what altitude are they at?”

Msn CC - “All will be down low at 500 feet”

RAF Pilot - “No problem, we’ll be well below that.”

You're paraphrasing...No self respecting RAF pilot would end a sentence with a preposition

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

I have flown combat missions with the RAF.  What they lack in numbers or funding is more than made up for in the airmanship, cunning and bravery of their pilots.  The can-do attitude of many RAF pilots is something most air forces only dream of.

While their equipment is at times outdated or numbers are lacking, they generally find a way to get the job done.

Theres a quote from an RAF air to ground  pilot working his 4 ship deconfliction with a US large force mission commander that I’ll never forget:

Msn CC - “We have 3 4 ships of strikers and 2 bombers on these routes we need you to deconflict from.”

RAF Pilot - “what altitude are they at?”

Msn CC - “All will be down low at 500 feet”

That is all very nice, but bravery and cunning of individual war fighters cannot overcome large strategic disadvantages of numbers, and range. It is why the Navy is pressing so hard on the UAT. 

6 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

And in my experience they usually ARE.

The Brits kick ass and punch well above their weight, and they show up regardless of the odds. There are no better friends, no worse enemies.

Back to quarantining in our Mooneys or hangars?  I may embark on a hangar elf party to "replace light bulbs" in my recognition lights

• Like 8

Enjoy your Mooney while you can. My airport (San Carlos, California) is closed to non-essential operations (I can do an Angel Flight, for instance). I don't see much logic behind it, but I also think this isn't the time to be arguing about it, and anyway in my case (I have no car), I can't get to my plane without doing something that does expose me to others or them to me, either Uber or Lyft drivers or CalTrain riders or people who are between me and wherever I'd walk to to pick up a ZipCar.

Stay safe, everyone, whether on the ground or in the air.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Flash said:

Enjoy your Mooney while you can. My airport (San Carlos, California) is closed to non-essential operations (I can do an Angel Flight, for instance). I don't see much logic behind it, but I also think this isn't the time to be arguing about it, and anyway in my case (I have no car), I can't get to my plane without doing something that does expose me to others or them to me, either Uber or Lyft drivers or CalTrain riders or people who are between me and wherever I'd walk to to pick up a ZipCar.

Stay safe, everyone, whether on the ground or in the air.

This makes no sense !  

• Like 1

More details, if you're curious:

DATE OF ORDER: MARCH 16, 2020

ORDER OF THE HEALTH OFFICER OF THE COUNTY OF SAN MATEO

DIRECTING ALL INDIVIDUALS LIVING IN THE COUNTY TO SHELTER AT THEIR PLACE OF RESIDENCE EXCEPT THAT THEY MAY LEAVE TO PROVIDE OR RECEIVE CERTAIN ESSENTIAL SERVICES OR ENGAGE IN CERTAIN ESSENTIAL ACTIVITIES AND WORK FOR ESSENTIAL BUSINESSES AND GOVERNMENTAL SERVICES; EXEMPTING INDIVIDUALS EXPERIENCING HOMELESSNESS FROM THE SHELTER IN PLACE ORDER BUT URGING THEM TO FIND SHELTER AND GOVERNMENT AGENCIES TO PROVIDE IT; DIRECTING ALL BUSINESSES AND GOVERNMENTAL AGENCIES TO CEASE NON-ESSENTIAL OPERATIONS AT PHYSICAL LOCATIONS IN THE COUNTY; PROHIBITING ALL NON-ESSENTIAL GATHERINGS OF ANY NUMBER OF INDIVIDUALS; AND ORDERING CESSATION OF ALL NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL

Please read this Order carefully.  Violation of or failure to comply with this Order is a misdemeanor punishable by fine, imprisonment, or both.  (California Health and Safety Code § 120295, et seq.)

... All travel, including, but not limited to, travel on foot, bicycle, scooter, motorcycle, automobile, or public transit, except Essential Travel and Essential Activities as defined below in Section 10, is prohibited.  People must use public transit only for purposes of performing Essential Activities or to travel to and from work to operate Essential Businesses or maintain Essential Governmental Functions.  People riding on public transit must comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in Section 10 below, to the greatest extent feasible.  This Order allows travel into or out of the County to perform Essential Activities, operate Essential Businesses, or maintain Essential Governmental Functions.

From the airport:

Airport users,

The County has published Frequently Asked Questions about the Shelter in Place Order: 
FAQs about the Shelter in Place Order

To help clarify the “essential” operations that may continue at County Airports during the Shelter in Place Order, please see the following definitions:

“Essential Travel” includes travel for any of the following purposes. Individuals engaged in essential travel must comply with all Social Distancing Requirements as defined below.

1. Any travel related to the provision of or access to Essential Activities[ii], Essential Governmental Functions, Essential Businesses[iii], or Minimum Basic Operations[iv].
Travel to care for elderly, minors, dependent persons with disabilities, or other vulnerable persons. Travel to and from educational institutions for purposes of receiving materials for distance learning, for receiving meals, and any other related services. Travel to return to a place of residence from outside the jurisdiction. Travel required by law enforcement or court order. Travel required for non-residents to return to their place of residence outside the County. Individuals are strongly encouraged to verify that their transportation out of the County remains available and functional prior to commencing such travel.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Flash said:

More details, if you're curious:

DATE OF ORDER: MARCH 16, 2020

ORDER OF THE HEALTH OFFICER OF THE COUNTY OF SAN MATEO

DIRECTING ALL INDIVIDUALS LIVING IN THE COUNTY TO SHELTER AT THEIR PLACE OF RESIDENCE EXCEPT THAT THEY MAY LEAVE TO PROVIDE OR RECEIVE CERTAIN ESSENTIAL SERVICES OR ENGAGE IN CERTAIN ESSENTIAL ACTIVITIES AND WORK FOR ESSENTIAL BUSINESSES AND GOVERNMENTAL SERVICES; EXEMPTING INDIVIDUALS EXPERIENCING HOMELESSNESS FROM THE SHELTER IN PLACE ORDER BUT URGING THEM TO FIND SHELTER AND GOVERNMENT AGENCIES TO PROVIDE IT; DIRECTING ALL BUSINESSES AND GOVERNMENTAL AGENCIES TO CEASE NON-ESSENTIAL OPERATIONS AT PHYSICAL LOCATIONS IN THE COUNTY; PROHIBITING ALL NON-ESSENTIAL GATHERINGS OF ANY NUMBER OF INDIVIDUALS; AND ORDERING CESSATION OF ALL NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL

Please read this Order carefully.  Violation of or failure to comply with this Order is a misdemeanor punishable by fine, imprisonment, or both.  (California Health and Safety Code § 120295, et seq.)

... All travel, including, but not limited to, travel on foot, bicycle, scooter, motorcycle, automobile, or public transit, except Essential Travel and Essential Activities as defined below in Section 10, is prohibited.  People must use public transit only for purposes of performing Essential Activities or to travel to and from work to operate Essential Businesses or maintain Essential Governmental Functions.  People riding on public transit must comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in Section 10 below, to the greatest extent feasible.  This Order allows travel into or out of the County to perform Essential Activities, operate Essential Businesses, or maintain Essential Governmental Functions.

From the airport:

Airport users,

The County has published Frequently Asked Questions about the Shelter in Place Order: 
FAQs about the Shelter in Place Order

To help clarify the “essential” operations that may continue at County Airports during the Shelter in Place Order, please see the following definitions:

“Essential Travel” includes travel for any of the following purposes. Individuals engaged in essential travel must comply with all Social Distancing Requirements as defined below.

1. Any travel related to the provision of or access to Essential Activities[ii], Essential Governmental Functions, Essential Businesses[iii], or Minimum Basic Operations[iv].

Travel to care for elderly, minors, dependent persons with disabilities, or other vulnerable persons. Travel to and from educational institutions for purposes of receiving materials for distance learning, for receiving meals, and any other related services. Travel to return to a place of residence from outside the jurisdiction. Travel required by law enforcement or court order. Travel required for non-residents to return to their place of residence outside the County. Individuals are strongly encouraged to verify that their transportation out of the County remains available and functional prior to commencing such travel.

Thank you for the information.  I'm so sorry.  Certainly not looking forward to this either.  This too shall pass.  :)

On 3/15/2020 at 2:46 AM, mooneygirl said:

A week ago I was running the LA Marathon, today I am sequestered studying for my upcoming commercial check ride.  We are so lucky to fly the best airplanes in the world.IMG_2410.thumb.jpg.fe5da09695be57d864f2b91079266c21.jpg

IMG_4603.jpg

Does that mean you have to buy a paper sectional ... the though of it gives me shivers 

• Like 1

There are two pneumonia vaccines. One is for bacterial the other for viral. You need both to be protected. The viral vaccine is not for covid 19 but evidence is mounting that those who have had the vaccine have a very low incidence of covid 19 developing into pneumonia.

Take care of yourself!

My family socially distanced ourselves over central Washington today on a trip to 3W7.  If you’ve never been there, it’s an awesome small airport in a canyon with camping and lake access.

6EE50696-2158-402A-86B6-E8C203B9B8F9.jpeg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Take care of yourself!

My family socially distanced ourselves over central Washington today on a trip to 3W7.  If you’ve never been there, it’s an awesome small airport in a canyon with camping and lake access.

Nice; Grand Coulee Dam airport has great approach over lake, decent pilot lounge and such. We visited couple of summers ago but staid in motel. Crew car was available but perhaps now is not such a good idea. Enjoy.

Just now, Igor_U said:

Nice; Grand Coulee Dam airport has great approach over lake, decent pilot lounge and such. We visited couple of summers ago but staid in motel. Crew car was available but perhaps now is not such a good idea. Enjoy.

Yep, it’s still beautiful!  Crew car is there, but we’re just letting the kids play in the lake at the campground.  Sometimes happiness is an airport you land at, park midfield, and then walk across the runway to the beach...

• Like 3