First close looks at an M20J in the DC area

melvin

Hello to the community! I've been lurking for a little while around the forums, and it's great to see so many active mooney pilots.

I'll be making my first aircraft purchase and the M20J is on my short list. It checks a lot of boxes -- in my price range, good history, and of course, speed. My 90% mission will be ferrying my wife, myself, and our dog on 200-500nm trips up and down the east coast. From time to time, we might want to shove a friend or two in back and head out on an adventure.

However, I haven't had a chance to see an M20J up close and see how I fit in one. I'm 5'11, 215 and a bit wide in the shoulders.

Any owners in the DC area that would like to show off their ship, do a quick walk around, and listen to a few questions from a potential future owner? 

• Like 1

We've got a bunch of Mooney's at KGAI - Gaitherburg, MD.  PM me and I'll get you the contact info for those on the field.  

For now there is also a Mooney Service Center at W00 - Freeway Aviation.  Lot's of good information there.  Tommy and Chris are always a great resource at Freeway.  In a few years the airport will likely be a housing development, but for now in our backyard you have a FANTASTIC Mooney shop.

-Seth

Edited by Seth

My wife and I are in labor now. We're planning on removing the front co pilot's seat so she and the kid can sit comfortably in the back. She'll have boat loads of leg space back right seat and I'll have so much room upfront being a similar build as you.

Replace kid with dog in your case?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 3/12/2020 at 1:48 PM, melvin said:

Hello to the community! I've been lurking for a little while around the forums, and it's great to see so many active mooney pilots.

I'll be making my first aircraft purchase and the M20J is on my short list. It checks a lot of boxes -- in my price range, good history, and of course, speed. My 90% mission will be ferrying my wife, myself, and our dog on 200-500nm trips up and down the east coast. From time to time, we might want to shove a friend or two in back and head out on an adventure.

However, I haven't had a chance to see an M20J up close and see how I fit in one. I'm 5'11, 215 and a bit wide in the shoulders.

Any owners in the DC area that would like to show off their ship, do a quick walk around, and listen to a few questions from a potential future owner? 

I got one.  Come have a look.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2020 at 8:33 PM, larrynimmo said:

At 215 lbs with big shoulders you will always be tight in the mooney unless your mate is petite.

i am 160 lbs 6’ 0” and I am comfortable, but it’s a little less comfortable for me when someone over 200 lbs sits in the passenger seat.

On 3/12/2020 at 11:00 PM, carusoam said:

Fear not size...

There is always a way to make it comfortable...

Other four seat planes won’t make it better...

Good cushions in the seat upgrade may make it better... :)

Bets regards,

-a-

I fly commercial a lot so I'm pretty used to finding ways to make it comfortable. Fortunately my mate is rather petite. I'll go give it a try.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 11:49 PM, Seth said:

We've got a bunch of Mooney's at KGAI - Gaitherburg, MD.  PM me and I'll get you the contact info for those on the field.  

For now there is also a Mooney Service Center at W00 - Freeway Aviation.  Lot's of good information there.  Tommy and Chris are always a great resource at Freeway.  In a few years the airport will likely be a housing development, but for now in our backyard you have a FANTASTIC Mooney shop.

-Seth

I had heard the rumors about W00. As I'm in NE DC it's the closest outside the FRZ, so it certainly sad news.

Just stagger the front seats and you'll have plenty of room. There is nearly unlimited leg room in the front of a Mooney. So staggering the seats is easy. My mission is also the wife, our dog and I. With a later model J, the rear seats are removable which makes it really nice for the dog and increases the useful load by 26 lbs. Or half the weight of the dog in our case. :D

4 minutes ago, whiskytango said:

One thing I always tell passengers new to Mooneys is that there is no way to gracefully enter or exit a Mooney (especially if you are an Old Geezer like me), so don't worry about it.  But once in the plane there will be plenty of room. 

Somewhere around here there is a video of how to enter and exit a Mooney. When you need that level of instructions just to get through a door... :D

But @whiskytango is correct, it's comfortable inside. 

• Like 1