Fitting car tires in a j/K

milotron

There are cabin dimensions in POH for M20J, so surely doable via passenger door width*height is 29*35 whereas baggage door is barely 20*17 

Note car tires but I managed to fit big folding bike plus its wheels from passenger door (20 inch wheel Montague Paratrooper), just fold all pax seats but took a lot of effort, not ideal with a low wing aircraft, so bought a smaller folding bike :D

5 hours ago, milotron said:

Hey, maybe someone can save me the trouble; has anybody fit and carried car tires in the back of their Mooney, either baggage or back seat?  If so, in through the baggage door or passenger door?

thanks!

iain

I fit a staggered set in my F model.  Two 225/45/17 and two 255/40/17 both on wheels. I wrapped them in trash bags. They went through the front door with the rear seats folded down. It was tight but it worked. If I had removed the rear seats it would have been easier.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

It would be easy in a later model 201 or 252. Probably 1986 or later? The rear seats come out easily giving you a flat floor. I don't think any of the 231's have that option. Could be wrong though.

You are. My 231 has removable seat backs, leaving a flat floor.

• Like 2

Just now, DonMuncy said:

You are. My 231 has removable seat backs, leaving a flat floor.

Well it won't be the last time... today :-)

Don't you love those removable seats? I rarely have mine installed in the Mooney. They live most of their life sealed up in plastic and sitting on a shelf in the hangar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No.  But I pick up 50 sterile vegetarian weed eating carp that are placed in large boxes of water every spring.  They control the weeds in our waterski lake in California.  When I make my flight plan I usually tell the briefer I have 51 souls on board.  I always get a chuckle from the briefer when I explain 50 the souls are a species of fish.  I have to take out the back bench and the front passenger seat to make room for the fish.

IMG_0255 weed eating carp.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

The F is the same dimensions as the F....

1) I think MS could be in complete agreement with this statement...  :)

2) Thanks to Ross for giving a great example of tire dimensions... which are found printed on the sidewall of the tire... was that a Porsche example?

3) some math may be needed for planning...

275/40 ZR 17... ordinary rear Corvette tire from the 90s... for example.

275mm wide at the tread... they get really tall when stacked....

40 is the height of the side wall... it is 40% of the tread with...

17 is the diameter of the rim...

So... to get the diameter of the tire... two side walls + rim diameter....

4) other experience... putting four tires in a firebird takes up all the available space... a Firebird holds as much stuff as an M20C...

5) +1 for putting them in garbage bags to protect the Mooney interior from black rubber marks...

6) If not near the car... go to tirerack.com to get tire dimension details for the car...

7) Today would be a great day to be driving a Mini Cooper...   :)

PP thoughts only, not a tire guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Well it won't be the last time... today :-)

Don't you love those removable seats? I rarely have mine installed in the Mooney. They live most of their life sealed up in plastic and sitting on a shelf in the hangar.

My rear seats are also easily removed.  However with the folding seat backs folded forward and down there is rarely a need. In addition to the aforementioned tire load, My bird also delivered the prop of a neighbor's Comanche 250 to the prop shop.  That's 77.5" of Hartzell in the back with out any impediment on the front right seat position. 

seatback.thumb.jpg.eefd14d605c178468eae0f225adbb9e2.jpg

seatback1.jpeg.08937ad5356ce0edb0895ca92cb2cf7f.jpeg

Edited by Shadrach

I’ve transported a prop in the back seat of my E model before.  Even with the seat belt wrapped around it, it slid enough to that it made lowering the manual gear a real challenge.  It took two of us to move it far enough to lower the gear.

Clarence

I had a deal on some tires on the mainland and was looking for a constructive excuse to go flying. Shipping costs were about the same as fuel costs.

Finally just got it back from the shop now so can actually figure it out in person, but do appreciate all the advice and stories presented!

Edited by milotron
cuz eye kaant chpel
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

What's that have to do with anything?

Our job is not to ask why, but to work the problem.

Well, as I said... I am just curious.  That being said... if it isn't evidence that cant be altered, the rubber could be taken off the rim and then compressed with a strap, then put into a garbage bag making the entire thing smaller and easier to put into the aircraft and less likely to muss the interior.

Get a few ratchet straps and compress the tire in one direction making it oval shaped.  will fit in easier.

• Like 1