Sun n Fun in the time of Coronavirus

That was my thought, too . . . . One of my German machine suppliers has canceled the annual shindig at their Black Forest factory, showing off all of their new products to customers from all over the world . . . . Woulda been week after next.

49 minutes ago, TGreen said:

Only 22 days till the start of Sun n Fun. Anyone have any intel on whether it is likely to go forward? Seems like al kinds of large gatherings are getting cancelled.

I spoke with one of the organizers and they emphatically said “we are not canceled.” Well, that kind of response leaves no wiggle room.  

• Like 2

Yet another time where I cannot decide on an emoticon.

Alas, our local aero expo at Friedrichshafen has been postponed.  Similar to many conferences, non-essential business travel, etc, etc.  So yes, paranoid much.  Then again, just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they are not after you... ;)

• Like 1

What incentive would Sun-N-Fun have to cancel?

Attendees who decide not to come and display their airplanes, suppliers and vendors who pull out will all have an impact on the event. The organizers can say “the show will go on” however; the organizers are NOT the show. The participants, the manufacturers, the vendors are the “show” and whether or not they will show up remains to be seen.

Edited by BKlott

Since it appears that we have only tested about 11,000 people (per NBC News tonight) in the U.S., it is understandable why we have so few confirmed cases of the virus. If we had tested nobody, then I guess we would have zero confirmed cases and nothing to worry about. Clearly, once the test kits become available and the testing becomes widespread, I think we’ll begin to see the true impact of this virus. I do not believe that it will be resolved in a few short weeks.

• Like 1

Did they cancel Sun n Fun?

The Florida governor DeSantis said

“We need to increase social-distancing measures,” he said, citing a recent order to stop visitation at state prisons and on Thursday a 30-day suspension of travel for state employees and a ramping up of teleworking within the Florida bureaucracy. “I am recommending to local municipalities and private entities to strongly consider limiting or postponing mass gatherings in the state of Florida.”
  • Like 1

So far they are still planning to run the event.  The way I am reading it, unless Florida places a ban on large gatherings they are still a go.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wfla.com/news/polk-county/plans-for-sun-n-fun-expo-move-forward-as-organizers-monitor-coronavirus/amp/

1 hour ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

Of course, right around college graduation time.  Ugh!  Just pushing it by a few weeks isn't going to make much of a difference.