Help with Garmin 530W and programming

On 3/11/2020 at 8:53 AM, jcovington said:

To enter the Frankston VOR (FZT) 334 radial 11 DME into Garmin Pilot it is FZT334011. I believe it is the same in the GNS530/430.

I get a similar clearance when I fly from El Paso to Tucson. It took some head scratching to remember the first time since it is a fairly uncommon clearance. I asked Albuquerque center the reason for the VOR/radial/dme clearance and they said it was a requirement from Tucson approach.

Jim

Just for kicks I played with this today on the way to Boise.  In a G1000, you can’t directly enter a vor/radial/dme.  I seriously doubt it will work in a 430/530 either, but I’ll try it tomorrow and report back.  

You can definitely do the user waypoint method mentioned in earlier posts.  A few pictures of the process are below.

Although it wasn’t difficult on autopilot at 23,000’, I think I’d still be hesitant to hand fly the airplane in busy airspace while typing in all the info.  “Unable” or “request a heading” might still be better.

B51C4C16-7FBF-4D95-9027-3AA2FCC0FC4E.jpeg

8537C5E8-DF40-4922-A84B-5CF129A47011.jpeg

96F37057-8CE5-4763-96B2-BBDA45FD473F.jpeg

• Like 1

430W works the same way as the G1000 above.  You can’t just input a VOR/RADIAL/DME.  You have to create a new user waypoint and can assign the location off a VOR radial/dme.

It was enough knob twisting that I definitely wouldn’t do it while hand flying ifr.

• Like 1