M20E Cowling Repair Question

Hello everyone,

Been lurking here for a while, but pulling the trigger on the purchase of a 1965 M20E. I believe the current owner is actually a Mooneyspacer too. So the previous owner accidentally ran up the engine with the cowling not being secure and it contacted the back of the spinner splitting the fairing close to the front mounts. I attached some photos here for reference. Wanted to know what would be the best way to repair the damage? He tried doing some fiberglass work to repair it but it has since started splitting and I am concerned about it getting worse and leading to a failure in flight.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_5425.jpg

IMG_5426.jpg

IMG_5427.jpg

IMG_5428.jpg

IMG_5429.jpg

IMG_5430.jpg

IMG_5431.jpg

Look up what the definition of a prop strike is for the engine...

To make sure you don’t accidentally pick up the responsibility of an engine tear down...

It is unlikely to be considered a requirement... but, there are some weirder things that cause this requirement...

Worthwhile looking into as more owner knowledge is better... good luck with the purchase...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

JB Weld for the win.   I would be looking at the spinner backing plate that can be expensive to replace.    Standard fiberglass repair is grind down to fresh glass Then build back up with layers of glass.  You want to know if the original was polyurethane or epoxy as the two don't mix

anyone who would JB weld something like that I would question the rest of the maintenance on the plane.   The mis matching of screws is also an indicator of less that stellar maintenance habits.   And why are screws missing?  That is just asking for more issues.

I know the owner personally and been flying the plane for the past couple months prior to this. I was there when it was apart for annual and know the mechanic too. He takes very good care of the airplane, this was just an oopsie and an attempt to see if he can repair it before we yanked off the cowling cause it is such a pain. Looks like we will be taking it off and having a professional glass it.

Find aviation mechanic working in/with a corvette shop... he can ‘oversee’ the proper repair... they can provide the talent...

It will look brand new when complete...

Find Jetdriven around here... he has written a few pages on proper Fiberglass cowling repair... for his M20J.  Their plane looks completely brand new... :)

Best regards,

-a-

They can be repaired from the backside, scarf it very thin and then put about 10 layers of 7781 structural fiberglass cloth on the back that with real aircraft structural epoxy like MGS or Aeropoxy. The fact that the right side upper and lower cowl don’t fit together properly behind the spinner puts a lot of stress on that in that area. So I would resolve that first..

Your regular A&P homebuilder, Corvette shop, or boat shop will likeIy use Bondo brand polyester resin with the cloth that comes underneath the lid of the kit you bought the auto parts store. I suggest using Pillsbury biscuit dough.  It’s lighter, stronger, and cheaper than that.  

• Like 3

On 3/11/2020 at 1:51 PM, MB65E said:

Just from the pictures I see you are at the SMO airport. I have a good friend in Santa Paula that could repair it for you correctly. He’d probably just make a new piece. 
Aerochia Aircraft. 
-Matt

Good eye, it is SMO. Going to do a pre-buy here and then assuming all checks out will get the repair going. Can't imagine it being too crazy expensive to fix, just the fun of removing the lower cowling......