tire pressure

kerry

I go by what's placarded on the plane itself: 30 in the mains, 49 in the nose. I can tell when the nosewheel needs air because the plane becomes significantly more difficult to pull out of the hangar. That's the one that's doing all the work.

Quote: kellym

IMHO, an old wives tale. You use the tire pressures specified in the maintenance manual. For B-E models that will be 30psi for all three tires. For F&G models the nose tire is upped to a 6 ply and uses 49 lbs.

If you are landing hard enough to have an effect on the tanks, you need some instruction. For you to do anything to the tank, you have to make the wing spar flex. Good luck with that.

Quote: Immelman

Regarding nose gear pressure: The older Mooneys came with 4-ply tires. The inflation spec is 30psi. Sometime in the M20F they changed over to a 6-ply nosewheel tire. The spec'd inflation went up with that change (to somewhere in the mid 40s).

So vintage mooney drivers, take a look at your nose tire: If you're running a 6 ply tire (which technically may not comply with the type certificate), you'll probably need a higher pressure to have the tire properly inflated.

Quote: kellym

IMHO, an old wives tale. You use the tire pressures specified in the maintenance manual. For B-E models that will be 30psi for all three tires. For F&G models the nose tire is upped to a 6 ply and uses 49 lbs.

If you are landing hard enough to have an effect on the tanks, you need some instruction. For you to do anything to the tank, you have to make the wing spar flex. Good luck with that.

• 5 years later...

With respect to 4-ply vs. 6-ply tires. Would the tire pressure increase just because most are now using a 6-ply tire? A 6-ply tire weighs more and the attitude should remain the same sitting on the ground, but I'd like a good reason for increasing the nose wheel pressure to 49 lbs. This is interesting, at least for me.

1 hour ago, outermarker said:

With respect to 4-ply vs. 6-ply tires. Would the tire pressure increase just because most are now using a 6-ply tire? A 6-ply tire weighs more and the attitude should remain the same sitting on the ground, but I'd like a good reason for increasing the nose wheel pressure to 49 lbs. This is interesting, at least for me.

The engine is heavier, and the location of the wheel changed when the fuselage was stretched to make the F model.

• Like 2

I run 30 as per the POH but curious cause I run what is recommend on the tire for everything else. Short story, old guy with an old Harley (1968) bitched that it handled bad, test ride confirmed it was like riding a slinky, bumped the psi up to what was stated on the tires and the issue went away. Personally I might switch to the tire manufacturers recommended psi and see if there is a difference

45 minutes ago, outermarker said:

Unless I'm blind can someone tell me what page the tire pressure is listed in the '65E POH? My 1938 Luscombe POH which is only 8 pages, lists the tire pressure.

The 65 manual it is on page 30.

After the C was finished...  You find the limitations(?) section of the POH has all the pertinent labels...

My C had Labels regarding air pressure for the tires....inside on the gear doors.

The Servicing section of the C’s most recent POH has a paragraph related to tire pressure... 30psi...

As far as ply(s) go... its a technical term used by tire manufacturers to indicate strength. It may not actually be a count of layers as one would expect.

When changing technical details when getting new tires... be sure to make sure they don't stick inside the airframe when retracted... Some dimensions may change when different specs change...

PP thoughts and stuff I read about on MS, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/6/2011 at 12:24 PM, Seth said:

My former 1967 M20F POH also says 30 in mains and 49 in nose.

I have to look up the 83 Missile.

-Seth

Can you share where you found this info - can't find it in the POH for my 67 M20F

On 11/26/2017 at 6:02 PM, RLCarter said:

I run what is recommend on the tire for everything else.

I know this is an old thread, but I had to comment on this as a guy who worked in the tire industry for 10 years.  The rating on the sidewall of a tire is NOT a recommended tire pressure.  It is the max pressure for which the tire is rated.  The recommended tire pressure is based primarily on the weight/surface contact area that the tire must support.  On vehicles, the recommended tire pressure can be found inside the driver's door either on the door itself or on the frame.  For motorcycles, the recommended tire pressure is very close to the max rated tire pressure.

• Like 2