tire pressure

kerry

My book tells me 30 lbs for tire pressure.  I tend to keep my tires at 34 lbs because visually 30 lbs looks to low especially the nose wheel.  My tires are old but treads are in good shape.  I'm wondering if the age of the tire has anything to do with them looking low at 30 lbs.  Cessna owners tell me their suprised that mooney only take 30 lbs of tire pressure.  Any input out there.

I have a M-20B and just installed a new set of tires and tubes. I didn't notice any difference between the old and new tires inflated to the same pressure. My old tires still had tread left on them but one of the tires went flat. Then stem on one of the tubes cracked and broke off. Fortunately it happened while it was parked in the hanger and not when I was flying. So, I replace all the tires and tubes just to be on the safe side. My book says 24 to 30lbs. I keep mine at 30lbs, only because the airplane is easier to push in and out of the hanger inflated to 30lbs compared to 24lbs. Mooneys have a pretty stiff gear, and I have noticed when the tire pressure is on the low side, the ride is not as bumpy when taxing. That may be why you don't run as much air in the tires on a Mooney compared to a Cessna.

The most significant difference when you put more pressure on the tires is when you have to push the plane by hand, specially on dirt or grass. It makes it much easier. But too much pressure makes the plane prone to bounce on touch down. Also to skid when brakes are applied on the roll out.

José

• Like 1

I inflate both the mains and the nose to 30 lbs in my M20C, but it always seems that the nose wheel looks a little flatter than the mains.  Does anyone else notice this, or is my imagination playing tricks on me?

Has anyone seen a noticeable change in the way the tires look as the aircraft is loaded to forward vs aft C of G?  With full tanks and no passengers, my CG sits at 44.6 inches, which is near the middle of the limits.

Phil,

Your C looks much newer lately!

How's your instrument panel working?

Best regards,

-a-

Keeping in line with the thread....  My C always parked in the exact same space, so a low spot formed in the pavement under the front wheel, making it look even lower.

Quote: carusoam

Phil,

Your C looks much newer lately!

How's your instrument panel working?

Best regards,

-a-

Keeping in line with the thread....  My C always parked in the exact same space, so a low spot formed in the pavement under the front wheel, making it look even lower.

• 6 months later...

Quote: stevesm20b

I have a M-20B and just installed a new set of tires and tubes. I didn't notice any difference between the old and new tires inflated to the same pressure. My old tires still had tread left on them but one of the tires went flat. Then stem on one of the tubes cracked and broke off. Fortunately it happened while it was parked in the hanger and not when I was flying. So, I replace all the tires and tubes just to be on the safe side. My book says 24 to 30lbs. I keep mine at 30lbs, only because the airplane is easier to push in and out of the hanger inflated to 30lbs compared to 24lbs. Mooneys have a pretty stiff gear, and I have noticed when the tire pressure is on the low side, the ride is not as bumpy when taxing. That may be why you don't run as much air in the tires on a Mooney compared to a Cessna.

Regarding nose gear pressure: The older Mooneys came with 4-ply tires. The inflation spec is 30psi. Sometime in the M20F they changed over to a 6-ply nosewheel tire. The spec'd inflation went up with that change (to somewhere in the mid 40s).

So vintage mooney drivers, take a look at your nose tire: If you're running a 6 ply tire (which technically may not comply with the type certificate), you'll probably need a higher pressure to have the tire properly inflated.

• Like 1