Flaps up

My flap actuator developed a leak this winter. Once it was fixed, went through the flap rigging specs in the service manual. Turns out mine were coming up a few degrees too far (negative angle). There's a stop adjustment at the outboard end of each flap to set this travel. Mine are now on the chord line and even with the trailing edge of the ailerons.  It appears that I've picked up a couple knots of cruise speed from this exercise. Thought I'd report my experience. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Yetti said:

You can also get a couple knots with chrome parts.   Chrome always adds speed in any form.

In the motorcycle biz we use to say "Chrome won't get ya home, but you'll look good push'n"

46 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Hey a good wax job will get you 10 kts!!!!!!!     :-)

Where do your ailerons sit compared to your flaps when in flight ?

I use Aerocosmetics Wash n Wax forward of the wing spar regularly, and everywhere periodically. Even used it on the car last fall . . . .

My ailerons are both ~½" above the flaps during level flight.

My C [supposed to fly 165 mph = 143 knots] trues out 147-148 KTAS, despite the 3-blade Hartzell speed brake on the nose.  :P

Edited by Hank

Any idea where your CG sits on normal flights?  Mine is way fwd (not that I'm a light weight in the seat you realize) so I have a nose heavy condition all the time with the attendant trim drag so I'm slower than you (with a 3 blade also). 

On 3/10/2020 at 7:12 PM, cliffy said:

Any idea where your CG sits on normal flights?  Mine is way fwd (not that I'm a light weight in the seat you realize) so I have a nose heavy condition all the time with the attendant trim drag so I'm slower than you (with a 3 blade also). 

My D was so far forward that with full flaps and just me and low fuel I ran out of pitch trim on final.   I took care of that by relocating the battery behind the baggage compartment.  I think when they got rid of all of the heavy radio power supplies it made quite a difference on the cg.

Mark

12 hours ago, markgrue said:

My D was so far forward that with full flaps and just me and low fuel I ran out of pitch trim on final.   I took care of that by relocating the battery behind the baggage compartment.  I think when they got rid of all of the heavy radio power supplies it made quite a difference on the cg.

Mark

I just relocated my battery for the same reason. Just finishing the annual and want to fly it to see the difference in trim and possibly real life True Airspeed differences. 

On 3/10/2020 at 6:12 PM, cliffy said:

I resemble that remark :(