M20C panel details

Hi everybody, I have a big doubt with my '62 C. 

Actually my under panel (don't know the proper name) is ugly with some plastic cover and getting cracked. 

I've seen that most of the panels have just a straight metal bar and the fuses, switches and levers are directly over it. 

Is it a simple mod? Don't want to break anything besides the plastic cover.

Thanks!!!

Ariel 

Screenshot_20200307-091520_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200307-085738_YouTube.jpg

welcome aboard Ariel.

Looks like somebody added a plastic layer of labeling...

That would not be original to a 60s Mooney.

:)
As far as simple and mods go... swapping out anything with wires and mechanical things going through it is less simple...

There are threads around here with lots of pics of panels refurbs... usually based on some important displays or radios being added.

There are shops that specialize in instrument panels and screen printing...

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, Mooncharlie said:

Great, so under that non original plastic should be straight metal panel? 

Is there a specific name, because searched for it and haven't found it

The large decorative thermoformed ABS plastic pieces held in place with acorn nuts are original...

the plastic film printed labels that look sun damaged have been added afterwards...

Yes... there is aluminum sheet metal under there holding it all together...

The acorn nuts will reveal the whole story...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.

There are many threads around here where people have designed or purchased and painted new panels...

The economics are more challenging, but could be worth it...

There is also a company the makes replacement parts for the thermoformed parts..

Best regards,

-a-

The same thing was happening on my 63 C model.  So when I redid my panel, they removed all that labelling and plastic coating off the metal pieces, and painted it to match the rest of the new panels.  Then I used a company that makes placards for airplanes and placed new placards to label everything properly.  You can get an idea with these photos as to how it came out.

There are the preop and post op photos.  If I remember correctly, when they removed that fading and cracking sticker that was on that panel, it was metal panel underneath, not plastic.  And they were able to sand it down and paint it.  The only panels that are new are the left and right instrument panels and they came from LASAR.

C - Panel Pre-op.jpg

D - Panel Post-op.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Greg   THAT is a nice looking panel!

I'm saving a copy of the picture for future reference

Thanks.  It will soon have a second G5.  I have no clue what I was thinking when I just didn’t put a second one in for the attitude indicator and remove the vacuum system.  Live and learn I suppose.

• Like 1