What's your flight profile?

cliffy

What is everyone's flight profile breakdown?   Percentage of flights over 100 miles away from home compared to boring holes in the sky for fun around the home drome

I'm 98% long distance traveling. 2 to 7 hrs away for most all trips. 

Mostly for fun.   But it was kind of cool to:  Friday my brother sends me an email with you should go look at this boat.   Called the guy.  Hopped in the plane turned a 3 hour drive into a less than 1 hour flight.

Mostly all x-country, unless I just need to "heat up the oil".

The Mooney flies too much like the plane I fly for work and does not qualify as "just fun".  I think every Mooney pilot should have (access to) an open cockpit, tail dragin', fun-to-fly-go-nowhere second plane. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

The Mooney flies too much like the plane I fly for work and does not qualify as "just fun".  I think every Mooney pilot should have (access to) an open cockpit, tail dragin', fun-to-fly-go-nowhere second plane. 

As long as it's not a Hatz. I heard only weirdos fly those. :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mooneymite said:

Same profile, Mooney: 2 big +1000nm week trips/year, 10 weekend 200nm commutes/year, and barely 4h/year local fun, but when I do fun flying everybody in pattern & nearby strips has to know about it :lol: the rest of flying is fun-to-fly-go-nowhere or instruction in vintage, tail dragin, gliders...

• Like 1

Based on 3 of flights, I seem to be roughly 60% XC, 30% giving rides to friends, family, and strangers, and 10% training.  About 80% of my flights have at least 1 passenger, 50% at least 2, and 25% have all 4 seats full.

Now if you look at it on a per hour basis, it's closer to 85% XC, 5% rides, and 10% training.

6 hours ago, Hank said:

My own flight profile is a short ground run, then a steep climb, followed by a long, flat portion, then a high speed descent, another flat portion, then descent to ground level.  :D

That is indeed a flight profile

Edited by RLCarter

Mine is somewhat the same, but at the end, substitute: descent to near ground level and slamming repeatedly to the ground.

Seriously, now it is more short hamburger runs.  For the last 10 years before retirement, my average flight was 2.5 hours.  A couple times a week.

I would guess that ~ 30-40% of my hours each year are x-country trips >500nm. The rest are short, local flights: keeping my ifr current, meeting friends for lunch, taking people for rides etc. I wish more of my flights were x-country, but I end up needing to do the short flights to keep the airplane from sitting unused for too long at a time.