Using a "SchleppMaxxe" - does it damage the front gear?

NicoN

Since many years we  are using a so called "SchleppMaxxe" electrical towing device to move our M20K.

It grabs into that pipe in the front gear where also the the normal towing bar is fixed.

My concern is the limited turn angle of the front gear.

To move our aircraft we have to lift up the "SchleppMaxxe" and move it from one side to the other

Recently I read about the danger of damaging something on the front gear.

It is the model TF1 from https://towflexx.de/flugzeugschlepper/, but there should lots of other models from different brands around

What is the best practice in moving the aircraft?

With that model you do need to be careful not to exceed the turn radius or it will definitely damage your nose gear strut. If you are the person moving the aircraft the risk is low as long as you play close attention to the turn limit indicators. The risk is considerably higher if others are doing this for you. There are pictures of the damaged (dents in the strut tubes) here in MS. Search for them so you know where to look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, NicoN said:

Since many years we  are using a so called "SchleppMaxxe" electrical towing device to move our M20K.

It grabs into that pipe in the front gear where also the the normal towing bar is fixed.

To move our aircraft we have to lift up the "SchleppMaxxe" and move it from one side to the other

It is the model TF1 from https://towflexx.de/flugzeugschlepper/, but there should lots of other models from different brands around

After watching a short video (in German of course) I do not see much risk in using the TF1 and TF2 models.  As I see it, this is just an electric hand hug.  You are making all the turns by hand from the handle of the device.  Obviously you do not want to "force" it to the stops and yank on it hard, but for normal use you should be fine.  I use something sort of similar.  I am still controlling the steering by hand but have an electric motor to assist with the push/pull of the aircraft.  If it was one of the bigger models that actually lift the front gear and then mechanically forces it to turn then you could be in for problems.

Here is a link to the one I use.  https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/robotow-heavy-duty-cordless-towbar-mooney.html

I've been using a very similar tug with my Mooney for several years as well. I would say that when you are moving the plane forward, towards you, there is no danger of damage to the gear at all. You can't put enough force in the turn to damage the gear.  On the other hand, while move the plane in reverse, you should be careful. Because of the geometry of the nose wheel, the turning force is magnified and there is a possibility to damage the gear. So just be carful when pushing the plane backward that you don't let it go into an ever tightening radius turn.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, NicoN said:

Isn't "flugzeugschlepper" just one of the best words in any language, EVER???  :lol:

• Like 2

Things that make towing dangerous for the nose gear...

1) Heavy powerful towing devices...

2) Ability to turn the plane at sharp angles...

3) Operators eyes several feet away from the nose gear...

4) The TF1 is small and light enough that it will be a challenge to cause damage... everyone towing the plane needs to be trained on the limits. Because it is significantly possible for somebody to ignore the warnings and push back on an angle and bend tubes....

If the plane doesn’t have a towing limit pointer and matching decal for limits... they can be purchased through Mooney or manufactured by a handy hangar elf...:)

Some modern towing devices put the nosewheel on a rotary turntable...  this way the powerful mule, turns under the plane’s wheel and doesn’t rip the legs off...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

thank you for all of your answers.

Indeed, I see no problem by pulling the Mooney forward.

Pushing backward or manouvering the aircraft into the hangar seems to be problematic: You always have to lift up the SchleppMaxxe, move it to the side ( of course maximum possible angle).

I will look for a another model

If acquiring a different towing device...

The Redline Sidewinder seems to be a popular portable device around here...

same tow limits apply...

But, the small electric motor is easy to control to stay within the turning limits...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Redline Sidewinder seems to be a popular portable device around here.

Since last year we are using the Sidewinder.
It does well even moving the 2,000 kilogram PA46.
No concerns pulling.  
There is however concern when pushing a Mooney as the Sidewinder lever arm is long enough to dimple a nose gear truss tube.  

• Like 1