M20K 231 Looking to Purchase

Kramali,

you have so much Mooney experience... (amongst a whole bunch of other birds)

Are you sure you will be happy with an ordinary (work with me here for a second) M20K?

Since the M20K has developed over decades... it went from a 231 to a 252 then Encore...and spawned things like the 262 and Rocket...

Might you want to search the whole list of Ks before starting at the beginning?

Economically, it may make sense to buy one fully updated than to start on the first step and climb each rung... over time...

I’d love to buy a new plane from the factory... just for the experience!  :)

PP thoughts only, not a plane sales guy yet...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 2:21 PM, Oldguy said:

And I believe Jimmy has said several times on here, a text is usually more likely to get answered than a voicemail or email. FWIW.

My cell is 210-872-1110. Best way to contact me is email. jimmy@allamericanaircraft.com or jimmy@gmaxamericanaircraft.com

• Like 2

I looked at the ad and saw a bunch of issues.  The panel is mostly old equipment. I would verify that it all works.  The 430 helps a little, but it is not a WAAS unit, which would be a 430W.  The WAAS upgrade is pricey.  The transponder is an old Mode C, so it is unlikely the aircraft complies with the new ADSB requirements.  Probably you are looking at a new transponder.  I did not see an ELT that I recognized.  Possible I just don’t recognize it and it is there somewhere, but I don’t see it. The yoke shaft looks really rusty, that thing does not appear to have flown in awhile.

I agree with Paul K. on the “SMOH.”. The Time Before Overhaul for the GB is 1800 hours.  That engine has not been overhauled ever that I can tell.

• 2 weeks later...

What did you decide? I see the planes still listed. I’m on a similar mission. Last year I fell for an Encore but after a lot of sole searching, realized I didn’t have the financial fortitude to spend $200k+ and all the maintenance and operating expense.

Now I find myself looking at 231’s.............I’m not sure the expenses will be much different though. Pretty confused. 

2 hours ago, Hugemiester said:

What did you decide? I see the planes still listed. I’m on a similar mission. Last year I fell for an Encore but after a lot of sole searching, realized I didn’t have the financial fortitude to spend $200k+ and all the maintenance and operating expense.

Now I find myself looking at 231’s.............I’m not sure the expenses will be much different though. Pretty confused. 

I believe the running costs, including maintenance, etc. will actually be the same to a little lower with the Encore compared to the 231. And I'd put the 252 in the middle. This mainly comes from where the Encore is a late 90's vintage and the 231 will likely be an early to mid 80's vintage. All things being equal, the older plane will require more maintenance than the same plane, 20 years newer. The one cost running the other way is insurance. Just because of the difference in hull value.

Now the acquisition cost is completely different. A 231 can be found for as low as $80K or $90K and Encores really start at $200K. And $100K will cover a few years of maintenance.

But if you can afford the upfront capitol expense to acquire the Encore, it will probably cost less year on year to maintain and fly, than the 231. Plus insurance.

On 4/5/2020 at 7:13 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I believe the running costs, including maintenance, etc. will actually be the same to a little lower with the Encore compared to the 231. And I'd put the 252 in the middle. This mainly comes from where the Encore is a late 90's vintage and the 231 will likely be an early to mid 80's vintage. All things being equal, the older plane will require more maintenance than the same plane, 20 years newer. The one cost running the other way is insurance. Just because of the difference in hull value.

Now the acquisition cost is completely different. A 231 can be found for as low as $80K or $90K and Encores really start at $200K. And $100K will cover a few years of maintenance.

But if you can afford the upfront capitol expense to acquire the Encore, it will probably cost less year on year to maintain and fly, than the 231. Plus insurance.

I’m not sure I buy that cost difference based on age of those three examples. I would be willing to bet if you took an average 231, 252, and Encore in the fleet today and looked at the airframe only you wouldn’t be able to tell them apart based on condition alone.  I really doubt the maintenance costs are that much more based on calendar years since the production year spread is so small compared to the overall age of airframes in the K family. 

Side note:  I have a pretty much stock 231 with an -LB engine and love every second of flying it. You will not regret getting anything in the K lineup.  

Edited by Mike A
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...