Almost....

21 hours ago, GLJA said:

Was doing a X-Country with a partner in the plane, who was taught to drop the gear ASAP. CFI gave him kaka for dropping the gear when over the airport, flipped the gear switch back up, and then proceeded to yap about every reason why, and probably 100 other items

Got the same story on PT heat, instructor no need to switch PT heat ON on the ground, we are not yet in clouds :D we both failed to switch it ON, too bumpy after takeoff to remember anything, the erratic ASI did not help neither :lol:

I think few items like Landing lights for night flying, PT heat ON for clouds, Gear DN for landing are better sorted early IMO, they really cost nothing in the big scheme of things and hard to remember in the heat of the moment

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 1

I asked if we could get a video of the gear warning system from aircraft incorporated that uses the transducer.  I was sent this, pretty neat, not sure if the transducer would ever have any trouble under certain types of terrain but overall seems to be a pretty interesting system.  Other option I could see would be a GPS AGL warning from foreflight or something similar as carusoam mentioned

• Like 1

I look at five different things but just do them once.
1) The gear  switch is down.
2) The gear light is green.
3) The mirror on the right wing tip shows the right main and nose gear down. 
4) The mirror on the left wing tip shows the left main and nose gear down.
5) The floor indicator indicates the gear is down.
After these mirrors available for the M20J ? STC ? What planes come with them?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Just now, epsalant said:

After these mirrors available for the M20J ? STC ? What planes come with them?

I don't know. Mine's an S35 Bonanza.  If you enlarge the photos you should be able to see the mirror on the wing tip.

IMG_0523.jpeg

IMG_0527.jpeg

3 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

I don't know. Mine's an S35 Bonanza.  If you enlarge the photos you should be able to see the mirror on the wing tip.

IMG_0523.jpeg

Your Bo needs multiple lights and mirrors, because it is quite capable of lowering one or two wheels insfeqd of all three. Something has to be seriously wrong and either bent or broken for a Mooney to not drop all three wheels. That's what the mechanical indicator on the floor is for--if it moved, all three wheels are down.

• Like 2

If the mechanical indicator indicator down, it means the main gear truss (floor indicator ) and the right main gear pushrod (light) moved far enough the trip the switch. That does not guarantee that the wheels are down nor the preload is proper, but the annual should check out this, so, effectively yes, All three gear are down. But it’s not like a piper arrow, where there is a switch for each of the three That shows this..

I wouldn’t say the Bonanza is slow but I know the mirrors won’t work on my Mooney because of Doppler shift of flying at Mooney speeds.

But the Bonanza doesn’t have the same physical gear position indicator we have with the floor board indicator. We don’t need mirrors to see what our floor board indicator already shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, epsalant said:

And maybe it's that mirror that slows Bonanzas down, maybe that's why they're slower than Mooney's!

Maybe they did not go far with the design of the Bo G36-RG-RM? They would have beaten the Mooneys to death with 3 retractable gears and 3 retractable mirrors? :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

A GoPro mounted under the wing. 

The IFDs have an input for a video camera that can be viewed on the main display.   Put a little cam underneath the tail and you can see all three gear.   Low-light and IR cams work, too.

I'm trying to figure out a way to do that.

On 3/15/2020 at 9:24 AM, epsalant said:

The Bonanza has mirrors with which you can see the gear down. Does anyone know if there is such a thing for the Mooney?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The floor indicator is mounted to one of the tubes that moves the gear.   If the floor indicator is indicating down, pretty much all the gear is down.   If the floor indicator is down and all the gear is not down, there has been some serious things wrong with your gear.

• Like 1

They are all up or all down...

unless one is broken...

It would be nice to know that the one in a million landings is about to happen...

But to plan on that level of oddity using a system to warn the pilot...

99% chance he won’t look in the mirrors... because it never failed like that in 20 years of operation...:)

+1 on camera use... and vision system to recognize the gear being down properly...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 7:34 PM, larrynimmo said:

..then I decided to do a night practice under vfr a gps/autopilot approach..

i feel great, yet I am devastated...I need to re-examine my procedures and discipline to checklists GUMPS!

thank goodness for mooneyspace as I learn from everyone else’s experiences

Since this was an approach, approach procedures should apply, and I suggest that is what needs to get fixed.  You should use the same procedure at the FAF regardless of type of approach.  Reaching the FAF, its Time Gear Power Tower Lights Lights Lights. Which means (1) start the timer, (2) lower the gear, (3) reduce power to final approach setting, (4) call the Tower or announce to traffic if no tower, (5) Landing Light On, (6)check Gear Light -gear is down, (7) runway lights on (if necessary). If the approach is a GPS then you don’t need to start the timer, but you should use the same checklist anyway so that you don’t make changes between a GPS and an ILS, in other words, the checklist should start with Time regardless of what type of approach you happen to be flying.

You can certainly run GUMPS, it is a good double check on the way down the glideslope but it is not the best procedure at the FAF.  At the FAF you want to drop your gear and put in your downslope power setting. If you don’t do those two things, then for approaches with a time, you will not make the airspeed in the charts (90 for most of us). 

Drill it and do it the same way every time.

7 hours ago, jlunseth said:

Since this was an approach, approach procedures should apply, and I suggest that is what needs to get fixed.  You should use the same procedure at the FAF regardless of type of approach.  Reaching the FAF, its Time Gear Power Tower Lights Lights Lights. Which means (1) start the timer, (2) lower the gear, (3) reduce power to final approach setting, (4) call the Tower or announce to traffic if no tower, (5) Landing Light On, (6)check Gear Light -gear is down, (7) runway lights on (if necessary). If the approach is a GPS then you don’t need to start the timer, but you should use the same checklist anyway so that you don’t make changes between a GPS and an ILS, in other words, the checklist should start with Time regardless of what type of approach you happen to be flying.

You can certainly run GUMPS, it is a good double check on the way down the glideslope but it is not the best procedure at the FAF.  At the FAF you want to drop your gear and put in your downslope power setting. If you don’t do those two things, then for approaches with a time, you will not make the airspeed in the charts (90 for most of us). 

Drill it and do it the same way every time.

All very good points...this has made me become more disciplined...the night I was doing my currency landings...I made a half hearted attempt for a gps/autopilot approach under vfr and I was just to complacent...

4 hours ago, brndiar said:

TRIM???????

Should be constantly adjusted for hands-off flight, so no reminder needed. It's on the Pre-Takeoff Checklist, where there are ni aerodynamic forces acting to remind you.

• Like 2