Looking for A&P in Las Vegas

Hey fellas,

I'm looking for a good mechanic in Las Vegas (or willing to come to Las Vegas) to do the annual inspection for my '77 M20J. There's nothing wrong with the plane that I'm aware of but the local shop wants to charge me an excess of $3.5k just to look it over and change the oil. Having dealt with the shop before, I'm also quite sure they're going to "find" lots of things that needs to be "replaced" that they can charge me for. Post or DM me if anybody is interested or knows somebody. I'm looking to get it signed off in early May. Thanks in advance.

On 3/3/2020 at 1:33 PM, carusoam said:

while we wait for a response...   let’s discuss the myriad ways of looking around MS....

If I had a search engine... what key words would I use...?

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Mechanic Vegas&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

See how close that gets you...

:)

-a-

I'm trying to find a dude who's actively looking for work...like a part-time freelance dude. If I search, I could find some names but then I'd just end up soliciting guys who may or may not even be looking for something to do. Also most of the posts on the subject are from years ago. 

Seth,

Is the plane currently in annual?

Or it needs to get back into annual shape?

MS has a guy that knows the lay of the land out and around Vegas... he may know the person or people you are looking for...

Don’t laugh too hard...   ask @Jeev   :)

For the price you were quoted for a J in airworthy shape... it could be flown a long way and break even on costs...

Best regards,

-a-

On 3/5/2020 at 3:23 PM, carusoam said:

Seth,

Is the plane currently in annual?

Or it needs to get back into annual shape?

MS has a guy that knows the lay of the land out and around Vegas... he may know the person or people you are looking for...

Don’t laugh too hard...   ask @Jeev   :)

For the price you were quoted for a J in airworthy shape... it could be flown a long way and break even on costs...

Best regards,

-a-

The annual just expired at the end of February. Prior to that it was flown regularly so it's in pretty good shape. I'll ask that guy if he knows anybody. Thanks.

I bought my plane in Vegas and had the pre-buy done by Lone Mountain (maybe that's the shop that quoted you a high rate?).  Previously my plane was maintained by EGA.  I only had one experience with Lone Mountain and it was pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up going with EGA. The 3 shops at North Las Vegas are Apex, EGA, and Lone Mountain. Lone Mountain is the only one of the three that's "Mooney certified". However, I was less than impressed with the work they did for me previously and they were, in fact, the ones that quoted me at almost $3.8k for an annual. Apex was about $2.2k and EGA is $2.1k. I think I'll be going to Apex or EGA for all of my future needs, assuming this annual goes well. Thanks for the suggestions.