More insurance hikes on the way I'm sure...

3 hours ago, Mike A said:

John Tune Airport just to the northwest of Nashville

8DA73041-6498-472A-8C0E-274094ED2B30.jpeg

wow, this picture really says a lot.   Does it look like one of the fuel trucks in the bottom right caught on fire?

Edited by rbridges

25 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Wow, the power of mother nature.  Ive felt her wrath sailing enough times, but that is something else.  What causes these tornadoes, ie why dont we get them in Europe but the UsA seems to get quite a few?  

While there are several differences, here warm and humid air from the gulf often meets cold polar air moving south, which is the typical scenario for spawning tornado activity.  

In much of Europe, a similar polar air flow is common but the alps typically act to block much flow of any warm Mediterranean air.  I'm not sure this mechanism applies to UK weather.  I'm not even sure I can continue to refer to the UK as Europe.  ^_^

PS - the Germantown neighborhood of Nashville was hard hit, but I live in the Germantown just east of Memphis.  We're not near the major outbreak last night.

Anyone that even thinks about going to Cessna or Piper, take note of the strength of the Mooney wing. 

the airport looks apocalyptic. 3 hangars literally do not exist anymore. I thought I was standing on set of a movie. 

444045E5-3649-47C3-84BE-E5FFA153A599.jpeg

5EEFFB6F-CD2A-4447-BF11-49A6E994E084.jpeg

845461E5-E549-4D34-9B7C-53D00F189696.jpeg

C976E18C-79B0-42C9-B6EF-31C306581E33.jpeg

C30258BB-42D4-44E6-8F9A-426F8A360699.jpeg

65832E49-7D68-4912-9796-AFBACCD86C7F.jpeg

• Sad 6

4 hours ago, Ron McBride said:

Parker, what percent of these owners do you think will purchase another plane?  

That's a really good question and I really I don't know.  At any airport there are always some overinsured ramp/hangar queens whose owners will gladly accept the check and go on.  Some may wait until hangar space is rebuilt

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

That's a really good question and I really I don't know.  At any airport there are always some overinsured ramp/hangar queens whose owners will gladly accept the check and go on.  Some may wait until hangar space is rebuilt

There are those that may not buy another plane but utilize funds to finish commercial rating and cfi to ensure more people get checked out in Mooney’s and possibly make a run at flying for the airlines. That way more people learn about Mooney’s from the CFI that loved flying Mooney’s and gets to attend college fairs and tell the students at them to go buy Mooney’s :)

or that person gets another Mooney !

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I wonder if there were cameras anywhere on the airport property - that would make a couple minutes of interesting footage.

I have asked if they could send me footage if they have any. I have a feeling the power might have gone out before the interesting stuff really started. 

Tornados have that much precision.... scalpel like for a few minutes over the area...

Compared to hurricanes... Sledge hammer like for hours over the area...

It is amazing that the complete row of empty trucks doesn’t show any damage compared to the airport...

Another thing that helps the destructive force of the tornado with large buildings... the intense low pressure they can create helps blow doors open... with the pressure differential... over such a short period of time...

PP thoughts only... let’s invite our weather guy to this thread... @Scott Dennstaedt  (tornado discussion)

Best regards,

-a-