Need New Parts From Factory

Mooney217RN

Out of curiosity what model airplane is this secret part being sourced for? :)

Need a list of used resources?

No, I have never heard that parts need to be new...

want to, desire to, hope to.... have new... sure. But not need to...

Best regards,

-a-

On 3/2/2020 at 11:44 AM, Mooney217RN said:

So I found out today that I need some parts from the factory IAW my annual inspection. 

Any clue if that will come together considering the situation with the factory being somewhat shuttered?  The shop was uncertain.

Any Mooney Service Center should still be able to order parts from what I hear.

Update - heard from the shop, there's a minimum 2 month lead time on the parts order from Mooney factory.

Why does it need to be new?  It wears from use.  So if you don't use new, you're going to have to replace it sooner next go around as it will already be worn down and the play in the linkage will be greater than if it were new.

2 hours ago, Mooney217RN said:

Update - heard from the shop, there's a minimum 2 month lead time on the parts order from Mooney factory.

Why does it need to be new?  It wears from use.  So if you don't use new, you're going to have to replace it sooner next go around as it will already be worn down and the play in the linkage will be greater than if it were new.

Mooney is shipping parts they have on the shelf, but anything they have to make is questionable as to when. I don't think you can put a timeline on it when they don't have staff presently available to make anything yet.

Who's to say you can't find find a serviceable link in good condition till you check with salvage yards? IF you can find one, it could well last longer than your ownership years. There are some salvage Ovations out there and its likely that the part is in common with any longbody. 

Edited by kortopates

2 hours ago, Mooney217RN said:

Check the details on what ‘linkage’ you are discussing...

Most parts don’t have wear... they may have bearings at each end that can be swapped out...

Some parts of the nose steering get OH’d...  When wear is a concern...

Got a pic of the part? Or you are good with the two month wait?

i get the feeling you may be discussing... when you lift the tail... it moved more than... 1/4” or so...?

That is a fancy bolt that has selective wear characteristics... it gets replaced every few decades or so...

There is a Bill Wheat story that goes with that bolt... they tested wear, by replacing the bolt with the next size smaller...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic....

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Mooney is shipping parts, some have a lead time and some are in stock.  Sometimes replacing the aft bolt AN5H32 reduces the free play.

Clarence

F1A5E5CB-BA28-4337-873B-B001C78CA7C3.jpeg

Doc you’re gonna have to start charging.

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

Where else do you get expert advice, from a leading Mooney maintenance guy, for such a great price...?

Go MS! Go Clarence!

Best regards,

-a-

No doubt.  I’d take my airplane to him in a heartbeat if he wasn’t on the other side of the continent.

• Like 1

I called up Lasar on Friday the 28th and ordered the bolt, bushing, and, link where the trim attaches to the tail. During annual a couple months ago my IA said he wanted to just have it on the list of things to do in the next year sometime. Lasar placed the order Friday the 28th and the parts were delivered on Wednesday the 4th, pretty quick turn around.

• Like 2

“There is a Bill Wheat story that goes with that bolt... they tested wear, by replacing the bolt with the next size smaller...“

The story is included in the “Boots” movie”. Without watching the movie for the specifics, bolt sizes were incrementally reduced with each test flight to discover just how much tail movement, both horizontally and vertically, would affect flight. 

Several inches of travel in either direction were shown to have no consequences. 

With that said, Bill found out when they reached that movement maximum, as all he’ll broke loose!  Watching and listening to Bill tell that story for the camera was priceless!!!! 

• Like 1

I don't quite get the "measure movement of the empennage assembly with tailcone at the tail skid"

On my E, if I apply up and down pressure to the tailcone, I would guesstimate I have 1/8" , possibly a little more vertical movement.  More than the .08" allowable in the diagram in any case.

Flight safety issue? Just flew her from Fresno to Wichita, tail stayed with me for the whole trip...........

Do you have a copy of the diagram with the 0.08” called out?

That doesn’t seem to be loose enough for a brand new plane...

Then again to match the spec... measure at the one spot... it is much closer to the hinge than where I grab the tail to lift...

My really old C moved a lot compared to my much newer O.

Just wondering...

Best regards,

-a-

12 hours ago, oldguyscanfly said:

I don't quite get the "measure movement of the empennage assembly with tailcone at the tail skid"

On my E, if I apply up and down pressure to the tailcone, I would guesstimate I have 1/8" , possibly a little more vertical movement.  More than the .08" allowable in the diagram in any case.

Flight safety issue? Just flew her from Fresno to Wichita, tail stayed with me for the whole trip...........

To get accurate measurements, set the trim to the takeoff setting, support the tail tie down to keep the fuselage from bouncing, then lift up on the tailcone with a measuring device held beside the tail navigation light.  There is a rivet which holds the light to the tailcone, it makes a nice indicator for measuring.

Clarence