Anyone see this AD proposal?

I just saw this on the COPA website, and thought I’d post here. Thankfully, the IO-360A1A isn’t listed. But the 0-360A1A is, which I believe is a C model engine. 
Any thoughts?

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/01/29/2020-01414/airworthiness-directives-superior-air-parts-inc-sap-engines-and-lycoming-engines-reciprocating

It only affects engines which have a Superior Airparts crankshaft manufactured during the time period. Our local flight school had one of the first ones to break in a 172.

Clarence

7 hours ago, GLJA said:

I just saw this on the COPA website, and thought I’d post here. Thankfully, the IO-360A1A isn’t listed. But the 0-360A1A is, which I believe is a C model engine. 
Any thoughts?

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/01/29/2020-01414/airworthiness-directives-superior-air-parts-inc-sap-engines-and-lycoming-engines-reciprocating

I think the O-360-A1A is only in early C models. My 1970 C has a -A1D.

Apparently it does apply to the -A1D so a check of the serial number will be in order. 

This is from the FAA AD:

(2) With SAP crankshaft assembly, P/N SL36500-A31, installed:

(i) SAP Model IO-360-series and O-360-series reciprocating engines.

(ii) Lycoming Model AEIO-360-H1A, IO-360-B1A, IO-360-B1B, IO-360-B1D, IO-360-B1E, IO-360-B1F, IO-360-M1A, O-360, O-360-A1A, O-360-A1C, O-360-A1D, O-360-A2A, O-360-C1A, O-360-C1G, O-360-C1C, O-360-C1E, and O-360-C1F reciprocating engines.

This looks like it only applies to a total of 253 crankshafts, produced by Superior Air Parts, as aftermarket parts for Lycoming engines and as original parts for Superior's own line of engines (only applicable for experimentals).

All anyone has to do is check your engine overhaul and see if you have a Superior crankshaft.  You probably don't.

IF you happen to have a Superior crankshaft, check it's serial number against the list supplied in the AD.  If a serial number isn't listed, contact your overhauler.

Again, this doesn't really apply to very many engines.  I arrived at 253 crankshafts by simply looking at the affected serial numbers and adding them up.

Someone can please check my math:

Superior Air Parts, Inc. (SAP) crankshaft assembly, part number (P/N) SL36500-A20 or P/N SL36500-A31, with serial numbers 82976-01; 82976-02; SP12-0003 through SP12-0089, inclusive; SP13-0034 through SP13-0150, inclusive; or SP14-0151 through SP14-0202, inclusive; installed.

Edited by Andy95W
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 59Moonster said:

Thanks. Luckily mine was overhauled prior to the effected years. 

Is there a timeline for affected cranks? Mine was overhauled by Signature a couple or three years before I bought her in '07. Sure would simplify digging through the logbook!

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Is there a timeline for affected cranks? Mine was overhauled by Signature a couple or three years before I bought her in '07. Sure would simplify digging through the logbook!

Yes, it is in the article, but you have to dig to find it.

"FAA determined that the crankshaft assembly failures resulted from the manufacturing process at SAP's crankshaft vendor during 2012 and 2014."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

This is going to be the end of a lot of airplanes...

Less damaging to the fleet than the AD covering Lycoming crankshafts.

Clarence

9 hours ago, 59Moonster said:

Yes, it is in the article, but you have to dig to find it.

"FAA determined that the crankshaft assembly failures resulted from the manufacturing process at SAP's crankshaft vendor during 2012 and 2014."

Oh thanks. My overhaul was prior to 2012.