Main Gear door touched runway

Putting this out there so it may help someone. Flew from NJ to NC in my M20E yesterday. Weather was for 10-15mph gusts at destination.  As I was landing (20' above touchdown) I was surprised by a gust of 25+ that hit me and forced the plane down and to the left... wasnt too bad, never touched the runway.. added power, extended a bit down the runway ... was thinking about a go around if I would have felt another gust 20' over the runway but everything felt like it now would be a normal landing. 
As I was getting ready to touch down <5 feet from the runway I was hit again with a 25+ gust that tipped the left wing down right at touchdown. Landed ok (a bit harder that I would have liked) but the left main door touched the runway at touchdown. 
It sounded like I blew the tire when I landed and when I looked, I was shocked to see that the door actually touched the runway.
Plane was inspected by 3 mechanics at the shop in NC and there was nothing else wrong, just the door. - new door coming and will return next week to pick plane up.

Looking back, guess I am beating myself up for just not going around after the first gust when the thought crossed my mind but have been hit with gusts like that on landings and never had an issue.. just the exact moment of the second gust didnt leave any time to do really anything. Probably should have carried a little more speed than normal. A mechanic witnessed it happen and said "I can't believe you didnt crash, Jesus was with you" so I'm sure the view of what happened must have been something.

Point being, if you have thoughts of going around, it's probably the right thought, go around.

(Pic makes gear look bent-it is not)

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2226961823?view=permalink&id=10157083205321824

2 hours ago, Jmr324 said:

Tire pressure was good, didn't touch wing tip. It's such an angle that it doesnt even appear possible. I dont know how it could have hit without a wing touching the ground.

The tire may have deflected on a side load, plus the gear compression under load, changes the angle.   I'm still surprised it was sufficient to do that, though.   Or you may have hit something on the edge of the runway.    Either way, glad it wasn't worse and you're getting it handled.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting!  I always appreciate when people share these experiences.

It would be really interesting if you could figure out what the approximate bank angle was, in order to grab that gear door.  

Glad this turned out ok for you.  What was the cost of the replacement door?  I'm almost afraid to ask...

Edited by Aviationinfo

It almost doesnt appear the door can hit without the wing touching so I'm guessing with the plane being shoved sideways there had to be some give with the tire and the suspension (pucks) that allowed the door to touch. Visually, it doesnt appear possible.

I never felt that the wing was close to touching but the plane was tilted pretty good. 

I didnt bother trying to straighten the door, I bought good used doors (both so the match..lol) and with the cost of removing and replacing, leaving the plane at the airport for a week and swinging the gear to check operation and fitting. Around $700.  All in all, not bad.  Learned a $700 lesson about carrying a little more speed when gusting although wasnt expecting (or reported) +25 until after the fact.

Edited by Jmr324
  • Like 3