Mooney M20F Cold Start

Htmlkid

Gents...

pumping the throttle of the carbed plane actuates the ‘accelerator’ pump...

This pump squirts fuel into the intake in a similar way as the electric pump does during priming...

Many carbed planes use a manual fuel pump for this... that would be nicer, but a bit more than needed... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Gents...
pumping the throttle of the carbed plane actuates the ‘accelerator’ pump...

All that’s good information, but of course the F engine uses fuel injection making Caseys technique useless for the OP.
Similarly for any Continental owners, who have their own technique, especially with hot starts.

The start technique that always worked well for me was...

- Mixture full rich

- Throttle off (full out)

- Boost pump on

- Throttle full in, count 4 - 6 seconds, retard throttle approximately to 1000 rpm position

- Crank engine

Never had a problem starting up this way.

Hot starts on the I0-360A1A became a non event once I learned to shut down with mixture only (master and mags off of course) and leaving throttle in the idle position.

For start up, mixture remains off and don't touch the throttle. Start cranking, when engine starts firing, advance mixture to full rich. I always taxied absolute maximum lean, requiring a little richening for enough power to taxi and never had fouled plugs. Hope my suggestions helps someone out. Cheers!

Edited by Canadian M20E
clarification
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

All that’s good information, but of course the F engine uses fuel injection making Caseys technique useless for the OP.
Similarly for any Continental owners, who have their own technique, especially with hot starts.

See how nicely a said the same thing...?  :)

Comparisons with other engines have more meaning when some of the details of what makes them different are better understood...

Somebody else brought it up, I tried to fill in the gaps... with a touch of conversation.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

When threads get this long...

It becomes a real challenge to remember what the title was...

By each answer the thread drifts... a few degrees...

Depending on the screen size... lots of details are hard to see....

Expect some errors in the discussion...

Helps to be extra forgiving sometimes...

Not everyone can be perfect every day...

Best regards,

-a-

• 5 months later...

I have an 65' E

On cold starts, or the first start of the day, this is what I do.

1. master switch ON

2. throttle IN to "full open"

3. mixture IN to "full rich"

4. fuel boost pump ON until fuel flow pressure needle stabilizes for one second 

5. boost pump OFF

6. throttle back to idle stop then forward 1/4 inch open

7. mixture back to idle cut off

8. engage starter

9. when engine starts smoothly increase mixture to Rich

10. adjust engine rpm for warm up

11 lean mixture a little during warm up to prevent fouling spark plugs before take-off

12 finish check list items before taxi

Ok, I'm open for comments...

5 hours ago, outermarker said:

I have an 65' E

On cold starts, or the first start of the day, this is what I do.

1. master switch ON

2. throttle IN to "full open"

3. mixture IN to "full rich"

4. fuel boost pump ON until fuel flow pressure needle stabilizes for one second 

5. boost pump OFF

6. throttle back to idle stop then forward 1/4 inch open

7. mixture back to idle cut off

8. engage starter

9. when engine starts smoothly increase mixture to Rich

10. adjust engine rpm for warm up

11 lean mixture a little during warm up to prevent fouling spark plugs before take-off

12 finish check list items before taxi

Ok, I'm open for comments...

Sounds pretty good.  Works well in my F.

I would recommend leaning more than “a little” after start.  It should be aggressively leaned.  Like it should stutter when you try to add power for taxi.  Full rich or close for runup.  Then, Lean aggressively after runup too.  No fouling, engine temps are just fine at low/idle power and, If somehow you forget mixture full rich for takeoff, the engine will remind you by dying.

I have a slick start on my M20F. It works great. I suppose the surefly mags work as well or better and I would upgrade to that if I needed to. 

You should not be struggling with cold starts. Something is wrong. Shower of sparks or something else is not working correctly. 

Edited by FloridaMan

59 minutes ago, FloridaMan said:

I have a slick start on my M20F. It works great. I suppose the surefly mags work as well or better and I would upgrade to that if I needed to. 

You should not be struggling with cold starts. Something is wrong. Shower of sparks or something else is not working correctly. 

You live in Florida...where there is no such thing as a "cold start". Only "somewhat less than a hot start".

Sounds pretty good.  Works well in my F.
 I would recommend leaning more than “a little” after start.  It should be aggressively leaned.  Like it should stutter when you try to add power for taxi.  Full rich or close for runup.  Then, Lean aggressively after runup too.  No fouling, engine temps are just fine at low/idle power and, If somehow you forget mixture full rich for takeoff, the engine will remind you by dying.

Agreed. It may take a few minutes till you can fully lean it, target FF should be 1.5gph or less.
  • Like 1