Fuel leak under wing but I have bladders.

I did a little more inspecting today.  I've flown once and done steep turns, and I've left the tanks full (1/4" from top) for a week.  I can't reproduce any leaks or smells.  Anyway, I removed a top inspection plate and saw this staining.  To me, it looks like it may have leaked from the edge of the plate.  At least the leak is up pretty high in the bladder.  The only other think I could think would be the filler neck leaking on the far side near the vent.  BTW, is the white powdery reside below it from dried 100LL or is it dried adhesive from the duct tape.

oghMBUJz0qfEdmHWMeKKDHth2fGLXEJMyxhBkN4HigmbZuSI774uYpE8SztaJsuYYeggSBDmisXvQ1HuwocObAPuSvONiyS4upqp1ct2v7RiTdvQxzLUBafG32KhEecf0JHdEdTh7F4z5tLkPLp4DytpVVR17nM0quQ-vWWKSqIZ59EQX1aXs3eoBBUqJT9ApGkxhN3hw0EU3wfAcg6yxy3joUY0S8c7cNas7qIHg2C9juZ5AckQC2ZjVPb1tQ_wLJH06_U7qYhoIqNALX9ESXkfqBgN5dQ2vXKnJ19oFnw8ik3Its-Vk6t-glfhAjueT1AH9xu-2pUVZYAvs76T7dhGokckVeaBRox7sDI6rfQNO65pTO_9mJxqZYDkDFW-BLr3giQhMrmgbn1oKPYwl7cvoWmMYeqJ8b9bsth1f11SrPWAq0kde1Czz-pIaKTZjkzdHtCdeQaNU1yAvsGg8Is9c5Vh_iAMsZFX-lJ2b9MwqLARmWxJI0BO6ePAg2RjLLlPKMjeZEXanStKDAu225eGZCfsmugIwLJG-JF4EbyovOzukoAP07U6f9B9e9n54uFxd95AFcyjnuaDVUVYoocUjgc6TE-mrv5K-3mZ46HUCOh6DesXt0lnkNNaxgBbpjJd5PnKsbXVjF5yPJ_mVZLUMq0wIsq0ae0fu2eEfIUZsPwJFWiDHeqmh4-GSQ=w834-h625-no

Edited by rbridges

38 minutes ago, carusoam said:

RB,

Did you post the video in YouTube?

Then copy the link here?

I am only seeing a do not enter sign... on my iPad.

100LL... light blue, dark blue, brown, tar....   opposite of white powder... :)

Best regards,

-a-

No, just copy and paste an image. I'll try uploading to MS. 

IMG_20200322_123923.jpg

Edited by rbridges
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

What’s the duct tape doing there? I thought it was a frowned upon because it can absorb moisture?

It's actually in the bladder install manual IIRC. I think it prevents damage to bladders from sharp edges. 

The image shows tape on side walls.   So.e kind of styrofoam is present on bottom. 

Duct tape was used by Mooney to seal the cabin near the wings... it didn’t last very long in 1960s materials...

PVC makes a nice, soft, slippery, surface... if that keeps bladders from hanging up...

Duct tape uses a thread mesh for tensile strength... looks like old adhesive and a mesh pattern may have been left behind...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

best regards,

-a-