Incognito

BDPetersen

Under the category of “Things I Should Know” comes the question, if one is cruising along in the 30 mile veil not talking to atc, squawking 1200 (as one does) but with one’s ads-b set to be incognito, is one compliant with the ads-b requirement for flight in rule airspace? Is the box still putting out whatever is needed even though anonymous?

Yes, if your UAT is operating in anonymous mode and you are receiving no ATC services and have squawk code 1200 set in your Mode A/C transponder, and you are outside of rule airspace (whew) — you’re compliant with 91.225. 
As soon as you enter a discreet transponder code issued by ATC the UAT is required to switch out of anonymous mode.   

• Like 1

But, to be clear, inside the 30 mile veil squawking 1200, you should NOT have your ads-b programmed for incognito. Lots of VFR, not talking to atc in the veil beneath Class B. If you thought being anonymous was cool and then make the excursion into the veil airspace, you could be in trouble? I know I can program my uAvionix on the ground, but I’ve never tried in-flight should I find the need to reconfigure to accommodate my whimsical flight path.

2 minutes ago, BDPetersen said:

But, to be clear, inside the 30 mile veil squawking 1200, you should NOT have your ads-b programmed for incognito. Lots of VFR, not talking to atc in the veil beneath Class B. If you thought being anonymous was cool and then make the excursion into the veil airspace, you could be in trouble? I know I can program my uAvionix on the ground, but I’ve never tried in-flight should I find the need to reconfigure to accommodate my whimsical flight path.

Can't be done in flight. Must be done on the ground. If you start incog. and squawk something it will take it out. But you have to land to re-enable incognito mode. 

I'm not aware of any regulation that prohibits incognito mode in rule airspace(including the veil) if you're not receiving services. *Unless you're on a VFR flight plan, which, I guess, technically counts as 'services'.

"An indication of the aircraft assigned ICAO 24-bit address, except when the pilot has not filed a flight plan, has not requested ATC services, and is using a TSO-C154c self-assigned temporary 24-bit address;"