N82CG

blakealbers

Anyone know the owner of 82CG? Saw him “fly over” on flight radar 24...wondering what he uses for a mask 25k feet for 4 hours sounds like a feat to me

But I haven’t tried it so maybe I’m overthinking the comfort level. a54114ac81013921e7c1115d4088cc11.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ 25k’..... you really want to know your O2 system, and it’s back up...

Traveling for four hours allows more time for O2 inventory to run low...

It helps to have lots of monitors... and alarms...

Get practice with all the details before going really high and really far...

MS has seen a few different versions of O2 system failures... from tiny plastic parts not fitting each other properly, to pinched hoses, to valves not shutting off...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

@ 25k’..... you really want to know your O2 system, and it’s back up...
Traveling for four hours allows more time for O2 inventory to run low...
It helps to have lots of monitors... and alarms...

Get practice with all the details before going really high and really far...
MS has seen a few different versions of O2 system failures... from tiny plastic parts not fitting each other properly, to pinched hoses, to valves not shutting off...
Best regards,
-a-

Yah, have done a few 600 NM flights in the mid teens with cannulas and I feel like that’s
Probably ultimately where what I’m doing will land but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I wouldn’t want to try a high altitude flight like that at some point...but agree would have to check 02 obsessively.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I’m guessing it’s someone with the initials “CG”

Tom

Nope, his intitials are DL and he is on Mooneyspace. He is also a 777 captain who is intimately familiar with flying in the FL's and its unique dangers. He also holds the groundspeed record for Acclaims. I am not 100% positive but I believe he has a precise flight O mask, and backup O system, redundant O meters.

• Like 6

@Mooney_Allegro Hey "DL", they are talking about you!  If you want to see how an Acclaim pilot gets routine regular use out of his plane in the flight levels, track this plane on FlightAware. "DL" is a good friend of mine and he flies that thing all over.  And to update the world, he's no longer an FO on the 777 but is now a captain on the 737NG.

His MS call sign is because prior to the Acclaim he had a tricked-out Allegro, which still shows up here on MS as well.

• Like 5

I've been thinking of getting the precise flight mask with the built in microphone.  Whether you go with precise flight or mountain high they both seem to be pretty solid products:

https://www.preciseflight.com/general-aviation/shop/product/microphone-mask-use-x3-demand-conservers/

However, as @carusoam points out, I'm not totally bought into flying above 20K feet or so with our engines.  I know they are certified up to 25K and people do it regularly but I've never liked where my oil pressure and temp go as I get higher.  I've always thought the continental airflow design was much better than Lycoming in the way that the intake gets routed through the top rather than the bottom.  This is all probably ultra conservative but just giving my 2 cents.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 8:04 PM, blakealbers said:

Anyone know the owner of 82CG? Saw him “fly over” on flight radar 24...wondering what he uses for a mask 25k feet for 4 hours sounds like a feat to me

But I haven’t tried it so maybe I’m overthinking the comfort level. a54114ac81013921e7c1115d4088cc11.jpg

I

blakealbers,  

I use the Mountain High ALPS face mask 18,000' and above and the cannulas below 18,000'.  The masks are used with the Mountain High O2D2 Pulse-Demand Oxygen system that has an audible alarm and blinking red lights in the event of oxygen loss.  I regularly use a pulse oximeter to check blood oxygen levels and pulse.  As backup, I have a Precise Flight portable oxygen tank all set up with masks and ready to go IMMEDIATELY in the event there's an issue with the ship's oxygen.  There's been at least one Acclaim crash due to inadequate maintenance on the oxygen system while flying at FL250 and a second close call in an Acclaim just out of maintenance.  Luckily the second Acclaim pilot recognized hypoxia and took immediate action by descending.  

When I first took delivery of the O2D2 system, on a flight to Sun 'n Fun, the main oxygen supply line on the O2D2 blew off at FL250.  After a few seconds, I heard the alarm, and reattached the O2 line.  I had to hold it in place most of the flight.  After I got on the ground, I called Mountain High to complain.  They immediately sent me a different oxygen line that stayed in place.  Why they sent me a line that slid out so easily I do not know.  

On long flights, I try to take a second pilot with me to help prevent fatique.  Flying pilot, and pilot monitoring (works radios etc.)  After the fuel stop, we switch duties.  

I recommend having contingency plans for loss of O2, frequently checking your oxygen levels, know your hypoxia symptoms, and know how your oxygen system works.  It's always a great idea to check your oxygen connections in the tail if that's where your tank is to be sure maintenance hooked everything up properly after servicing.  Test it on the ground before you start.  Make sure everything works.  I also put the face mask on while on the ground.  It's too difficult to put it on in the air. (might miss radio call when taking off headset).  

Flying at high altitude allows you to get above most of the weather into smoother air, allows you to operate above the icing (in my experiences), and your true airspeed is much higher.  It's also nice to take advantage of a nice tailwind.  I had a groundspeed of 355 knots over two years ago from Las Vegas to Atlanta.  The Mooney is an amazing machine!  

P.S. As far as comfort, the key is to not strap the mask on too tightly.  I keep mine just a tad loose, otherwise I'll get a headache on a long flight.  The other issue is to wear earplugs along with your noise cancelling headset.  Why? Because using the mask creates a slight gap between your headset with the headstrap, along with your sunglasses, so the earplugs compensate for this and allows you to quiet things down like normal.  You just have to turn your radio volume up so you can hear ATC and your co-pilot.  I don't use earplugs with the cannula or below oxygen levels.   

IMG_0827 (3).JPG

Edited by Mooney_Allegro
added content
  • Like 5

All good advice. One of the many things I love about flying a turbo Mooney. If your physiology allows, your airplane is capable, and you take all the appropriate precautions, flight in the FlightLevels can be fun, efficient, and arguably safer. 

• No traffic
  • Engine out glide ring is huge
  • Above most weather/better visibility
  • Above most icing
  • Shorter trip
  • Less fuel/more reserve
  • No terrain
  • Always IFR
  • All other traffic also IFR/typically pro pilots
  • Speed/Range

BTW... QT Halo headsets are much easier/more comfortable to use with masks. It also makes taking the mask on/off in flight, quick and easy. :-)

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 8:45 AM, exM20K said:

@Mooney_Allegro how do you have the tubes routed for the O2D2, and have you found a good place to mount it?  I haven't found a really great place for the unit, so it usually sits in PAX lap with usual tangle of tubes from the ceiling to the box and thence to the people.

-dan

Dan, I don't mount the O2D2, but just lay it on the backseat if I have two people up front.  If I'm by myself, I lay it next to me on the co-pilot seat.  I have the same issues with the tubing.  It sometimes gets tangled up especially with the headsets, iPad charging cord etc.  

-Dave

On 3/11/2020 at 11:45 AM, exM20K said:

@Mooney_Allegro how do you have the tubes routed for the O2D2, and have you found a good place to mount it?  I haven't found a really great place for the unit, so it usually sits in PAX lap with usual tangle of tubes from the ceiling to the box and thence to the people.

-dan

I have my o2d2 unit "mounted" (soft mounted - its strapped in place) to the screw at the to of the cockpit between the pilot and copilot just behind the front seats and in front of the back seats.

Having unit at the ceiling makes the tubes go up from the floor behind and then down from the ceiling to the pilot.  This minimizes any tube tangling or crushing and it makes for easy access and nice unconstrained movement of the pilot in the cockpit.  Plus I can find it to quickly take a look to see if the breath light is beeping meaning O2 is being delivered.  Or being near my ear, then even through my headset I can hear the alarm if it is not delivering o2.  BTW another nice thing about pulse delivery generally is that every breath you take you can feel and hear.  Which is nice versus a continuous delivery (old school) system where you are always a little unsure if the o2 is working form moment to moment which is a bit disconcerting.

Here is a picture - not having much to do with anything other than you can see the o2d2 in the background - why this picture?  It was handy as it used it for something else last week.

IMG_0458.jpg

Edited by aviatoreb

@aviatoreb thanks.  So just to be clear... your drove the screws through the Velcro strap that mountain higho2 provided? Had not  considered that, and it would work very well with the long body ports being right there.

now... where did I leave that Velcro strap???

-dan

Edited by exM20K

9 minutes ago, exM20K said:

@aviatoreb thanks.  So just to be clear... your drove the screws through the Velcro strap that mountain higho2 provided? Had not  considered that, and it would work very well with the long body ports being right there.

now... where did I leave that Velcro strap???

-dan

Exactly - there are a couple of screws right there holding the plastic interior pieces in place.  I put a flat washer to make the load distribute a bit better on cloth.  Then I got a pair of velcro straps, ones with some elastic in them so they stretch also, so I could make an x.  Also I put a sticker-type velcro stuck onto the o2d2 on both sides so it wouldn't slide around.  Then I just wrap it around the o2d2 as you see.  It holds nice and firm and its not a heavy unit of any kind.  And it is easily removable to service, like changing batteries or something.  I have had it setup that way for years and I feel the convenience of it is almost perfect.  It is always there, always out of the way, always viewable.  Also it is behind and between and behind the heads so even in heavy turbulence it would be pretty tough to hit your head on it.

• Thanks 1