Annual turned into engine overhaul. Jewell Aviation

MATTS875

Well, I sent my Mooney to Jewell for my annual and now having the engine overhauled. I was running higher oil temps and had it sent to 3 different shops which could not find out the issue. All compressions were 78/80 and 79/80. Found small amounts of aluminum in the oil filter. We pulled off all 4 cylinders and found the issue with the 4 cylinder. The case had shifted and fretted. The piston was touching the connecting rod. So rather than going into it any deeper I have opted to overhaul the engine. It has 1367 hours on it and was overhauled in 2003. David and Sam are great to work with. If the case can’t be overhauled, I told them to order a new one. Might be 2 months out without flying. Ugh. Ready to get in the sky I absolutely know nothing about the mechanics of a Lycoming engine , but learning more every day. This was one reason I flew my plane from Alabama to Kennett Mo because I have read great reviews about Jewell and felt comfortable about their reputation. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

28 minutes ago, MATTS875 said:

Well, I sent my Mooney to Jewell for my annual and now having the engine overhauled. I was running higher oil temps and had it sent to 3 different shops which could not find out the issue. All compressions were 78/80 and 79/80. Found small amounts of aluminum in the oil filter. We pulled off all 4 cylinders and found the issue with the 4 cylinder. The case had shifted and fretted. The piston was touching the connecting rod. So rather than going into it any deeper I have opted to overhaul the engine. It has 1367 hours on it and was overhauled in 2003. David and Sam are great to work with. If the case can’t be overhauled, I told them to order a new one. Might be 2 months out without flying. Ugh. Ready to get in the sky I absolutely know nothing about the mechanics of a Lycoming engine , but learning more every day. This was one reason I flew my plane from Alabama to Kennett Mo because I have read great reviews about Jewell and felt comfortable about their reputation. 

I may have a serviceable case for you if needed 

At OH...

You may want to review how old things are... log book research...

things like the charging system, starter, vac system...  going vac free?

Some things will be getting OH’d and others are up to the owner...

How much of the baffles will be replaced...

Your total costs can go way up...

But, if it is a forever-plane... having everything in pristine condition may be worth it to you... :)

If squeezing out the last hours on a device... it may make sense to replace it now because the install will cost more later...

How about an electronic mag to go with that?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

49 minutes ago, carusoam said:

At OH...

You may want to review how old things are... log book research...

things like the charging system, starter, vac system...  going vac free?

Some things will be getting OH’d and others are up to the owner...

How much of the baffles will be replaced...

Your total costs can go way up...

But, if it is a forever-plane... having everything in pristine condition may be worth it to you... :)

If squeezing out the last hours on a device... it may make sense to replace it now because the install will cost more later...

How about an electronic mag to go with that?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I am debating on replacing the starter with a sky tec. I have not thought about the electronic mag. Which electronic mags are the best choice?  I have had the plane in 3 different shops for the last 6 months trying to diagnose the issue. At this point the cost is what it is. I’ve talked to David and let him know that if he sees anything that needs attention to let me know and I will replace it. I feel that the plane is in good hands and I’m just ready to get the plane back and use it for its intended purpose of making memories with the wife. I appreciate all the advice and knowledge. Thanks. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

You might want to look at having the main bosses doweled and pegged. Keeps the case halves from shifting.

Thanks. That’s kinda what I read on Don Maxwells site. I know very little about the mechanics side of the engine but have learned a lot off Mooneyspace and reading. Thanks for bringing that up. I’m waiting to hear back from David this week. I’m debating spending the extra money and buying a new case. When I mentioned this to David he said hold off on that thought til we hear back from CSI. He said they do outstanding work   Any other advice is always appreciated 

There may be about a dozen users of Surefly on various Mooneys using the IO360...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Surefly&quick=1

And many more looking to get approval... including turbo’d Mooneys... and IO550s...

PP thoughts only, confirm any details with your mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

7 minutes ago, carusoam said:

There may be about a dozen users of Surefly on various Mooneys using the IO360...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Surefly&quick=1

And many more looking to get approval... including turbo’d Mooneys... and IO550s...

PP thoughts only, confirm any details with your mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks. I will research. 

3 hours ago, MATTS875 said:

Would this be a good time to put on a sky tec starter?  I’m not having any issues with the one I have, but I’ve heard great things about sky tec and hot starts being easier

Normally, one would overhaul or replace all the accessories when overhauling the engine. Good time to IRAN the prop, also. Don’t forget the oil cooler. Hoses are probably due for replacement, too.

Skip

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Normally, one would overhaul or replace all the accessories when overhauling the engine. Good time to IRAN the prop, also. Don’t forget the oil cooler. Hoses are probably due for replacement, too.

Skip

Yes. The prop will be done and the oil cooler was sent off 5 flight hours ago and completely overhauled. I’m replacing all the hoses as well. 

If you have the IO-360-A3B6 the Surefly electronic ignition would be a great addition, but if, like many J's, you have the -A3B6then the single mag does not yet have an electronic option.

I have the Sky-Tec starter, and while I cannot say it improved my starts, it spins the engine fast enough I can almost taxi if it doesn't start!

While it is down, you may want to check the motor mount and mounting shocks.

Don't know if you were doing it previously, but oil analysis after a rebuild/new engine is a great to document what is happening inside the engine before it becomes painfully obvious. Both Blackstone and AVLAB have good reviews from folks I know.

Do you have a battery tender for them to use to keep you rt battery up to snuff? Worst thing I can imagine is putting everything back together and having the battery crap out when you go to start it.

9 hours ago, Oldguy said:

If you have the IO-360-A3B6 the Surefly electronic ignition would be a great addition, but if, like many J's, you have the -A3B6then the single mag does not yet have an electronic option.

I have the Sky-Tec starter, and while I cannot say it improved my starts, it spins the engine fast enough I can almost taxi if it doesn't start!

While it is down, you may want to check the motor mount and mounting shocks.

Don't know if you were doing it previously, but oil analysis after a rebuild/new engine is a great to document what is happening inside the engine before it becomes painfully obvious. Both Blackstone and AVLAB have good reviews from folks I know.

Do you have a battery tender for them to use to keep you rt battery up to snuff? Worst thing I can imagine is putting everything back together and having the battery crap out when you go to start it.

Thanks. I have the A3B6 engine so definitely considering the Surefly ignition.  I am repacking also the engine mounts. I will always do the oil analysis an pd have used Blackstone in the past with good results. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pete M said:

What are the functional and cost differences between an engine iran and overhaul? Given the lowish time on the engine does it make sense? 

It would have only saved me around $7000 I believe. With the almost 1400 hours and being it was done 17 years ago, I felt better to go ahead and have it done so I can enjoy the plane.I think my confidence level will be better in the plane once Jewell overhauls it. 

• Like 1