Pipe Dream

Bob - S50

This is probably already on here someplace so it probably belongs in an FAQ section but...

If I had the money and were to buy Mooney, I'd start making new 201's and 252's with the following changes:

1.  Use the 2900 lb. gross weight frame.

2.  Make the one piece belly pan standard with as many antennas as possible buried inside.

3.  Include light weight starters and alternators.

4.  Electronic Ignition standard.

5.  Include the Powerflow exhaust as standard.

6.  No vacuum system.

7.  Cies floats standard connected to owner choice of either JPI or EI primary engine monitors.

8.  Owner choice of displays/avionics/AP with options from Avidyne, Dynon, Garmin, Trig, and TruTrak.

9.  AV-20S as a clock.

10.  AV-30 to replace the TC.

Time for me to wake up now.

• Like 2

Id work in the second door and make the frame a little lighter. Probably put VG's on stock so that the plane has a lower stall speed and you can certify the gross weights of the rockets and missiles. Also oleo struts instead of the donuts.

14 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Do we get engine options with this exercise....

1) O360

2) IO360 

3) IO550

4) Turbo editions

5)Turbine  (viable diesel option, where the other diesels have been less than viable...)

I’m stuck in the middle somewhere... :)

Best regards,

-a-

I kinda like this approach but would expand on it some.  How about the crazy idea of build to order with engine choices and airframe choices.  You could also pick your paint scheme etc. etc. 

Realistically I think the only way Mooney can compete with our excellent used fleet is to have a kit build to get the price point waaaay down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

1) O360

2) IO360 

3) IO550

4) Turbo editions

5)Turbine  (viable diesel option, where the other diesels have been less than viable...)

Best regards,

-a-

I’d take one if an IO720 was an option!

Clarence

I like the idea.  Get away form the full glass as integrated with engine monitoring and other gauges. 

Us e JPI or something like that for guages

Avydyne IFD 550 for the NAV/COM

And best yet make the mid body as an experimental kit plane maybe have a full composite fuselage for cleaner airflow and faster speeds

310HP IO540

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

By the way, I want mine with fully retractable amphibious floats.  And FIKI. 

I’m guessing you’ll want to keep the manual Johnson bar gear connected to the floats?

Clarence

If I bought mooney, I’d have to have a diesel power plant lined up and possibly look at novel ways to pressurize the cabin.     Making the same ole plane isn’t going to cut it.   It has to do things a cirrus can’t do.  Make an add on option parachute system.  

I'd buy the Type Certificate for the Mooney Cadet and start making them for the training market as soon as humanly possible.  Those are the planes selling now.  I think I would slowly turn the Ultra into a composite airframe.  They started with the doors, a couple years later I'd do the front cowling, a couple years after that the tail.  Eventually the wings.  A composite Mooney with retractable gear would be the fastest thing in the sky by a fair margin.  Might get the build time down too.

If I could do all that I'd think about an aircraft built around the I0360.  A modern J, all composite.  The Ultra's little brother.

4 hours ago, INA201 said:

All I know is this one is not a Mooney IMOP.  Throw a retract on and the M10 might be a good start towards modern composites for Mooney. 

It also needs a pivoting tail instead of embarrassing trim tabs . . . .

17 minutes ago, Kelpro999 said:

Steel and aluminum Mooney’s will not compete in today’s market.

Not so certain about that.  I flew an SR22 yesterday, great ride.  But I also flew my Ovation yesterday, an even better ride.  Mooney could make more use of composites, but what is the benefit of an all composite airframe versus a steel & aluminum airframe?  The only thing I see is that the composite aircraft absorb turbulence better.  Repairing a composite airframe is a real challenge.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, INA201 said:

All I know is this one is not a Mooney IMOP.  Throw a retract on and the M10 might be a good start towards modern composites for Mooney. 

That thing is damn ugly. id prefer if it wasn't part of the mooney heritage.

On 2/24/2020 at 12:20 PM, carusoam said:

1) O360

2) IO360 

3) IO550

4) Turbo editions

Best regards,

-a-

Don’t forget the IO-390!

• Like 1