Can I polish my Shaw Fuel caps?

NicoN

We have Shaw 431 fuel caps.

And they are painted. Over the years and especially as my co-owner were using pliers to open and close them, they now look awful.

Is it possible to strip off the paint and polish them? Just an idea. I like those  polished fuel caps

[mention=6924]KSMooniac[/mention] has stripped and polished caps. They look great!!
I wish I did! You're close...I took the caps from my salvage plane and had them professionally polished, then I carefully masked and painted the wells for the tabs to finish the makeover... and then went to my plane and discovered they didn't fit!

Someday I'll do it again with my current caps.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/24/2020 at 6:26 AM, NicoN said:

We have Shaw 431 fuel caps.

And they are painted. Over the years and especially as my co-owner were using pliers to open and close them, they now look awful.

Is it possible to strip off the paint and polish them? Just an idea. I like those  polished fuel caps

Yes it is. I polished them and then sent to these guys: https://www.engravers.net/fuel-caps.html

image.thumb.png.03497c16cbf178d8030e1d1b740aa52f.png

• Like 1

I wish I did! You're close...I took the caps from my salvage plane and had them professionally polished, then I carefully masked and painted the wells for the tabs to finish the makeover... and then went to my plane and discovered they didn't fit!

Someday I'll do it again with my current caps.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

That’s right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, OR75 said:

The fuel caps should not need pliers to be removed

tHe castle nut need to be adjusted properly

the cap need to be aligned properly before looking ... I tell refuelers that I will remove and reinstall the caps myself 

Can be a variety of reasons. I have one where the lever on the plunger itself is very very stiff. Only thing I can think is to drill the pin out that holds it and find another pin to replace it. 
-Robert 

7 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Why do you have to fill both wings evenly?

-Robert 

when you follow all the procedures... all the stall characteristics will match book values...

Or... it is a best practice to follow...

The note will advise the lineman to not put all 50 gallons on one side...

An un-even fuel load will lead to using additional rudder input to level the wings...

Small reasons to help get closer to an ideal T/O situation... or avoid surprises..

Check the POH... a similar guidance is probably found under refueling...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic... or cfi...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

In an M20C...

The plane can be kept on the magenta line by balancing fuel...

Combined with the pilot shifting weight...

Weight shifts to the left are more challenging... somebody put a window there that doesn’t open... :)

In an M20R... the AP will keep the plane flying on the magenta line with a very large imbalance of fuel...

So...

The Mooney factory is right...

And there is a best practice for those that want to follow along...

The factory also promotes very conservative operation so small differences in WnB2 don’t cause big problems... (balance in two directions)

PPs don’t usually take the cross direction balance into account... usually by keeping the wings equally loaded... :)

Like initial conditions in a mathematical equation... 0 imbalance, ignore the math... :)

The worst case is an empty tank and a full tank on a Long Body... 65gs on one side, 390LBs, out past the fuel cap... (to add some visualization to where I’m going)

One of us is going to get the new line man... right after a really long flight...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

when you follow all the procedures... all the stall characteristics will match book values...

Or... it is a best practice to follow...

The note will advise the lineman to not put all 50 gallons on one side...

I’ve never heard of an fbo accepting a total fuel order. I’ve always given the fuel order per tank. 

-Robert 

3 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

I’ve never heard of an fbo accepting a total fuel order. I’ve always given the fuel order per tank. 

-Robert 

They always remember "fill both tanks." When I've tried to specify hiw many gallons in which tank, confusion frequently reigns.

5 hours ago, redcatcher27 said:

But I heard somewhere that in the middle of the summer, in full sun, that they were "hotter than a June bride".

I can believe that. I used to keep a pair of gloves in the back when I lived in WV; now it's down to a few tools and a pair of mechanics gloves. That would be a good time to wear them. Would also keep your hands clean when handling the nasty black fuel hose . . . .

• Like 1