Garmin Pilot: Android won't have iOS features any time soon

toto

So GP came out with a new major release this week, with emails and a bunch of PR.  None of the articles I read said anything about the new features being iOS-only, but the new version (v7.4) that was released the same day for Android didn't include anything other than support for the GI 275.

Anyway, I contacted Garmin to find out when the new features would be released for Android.  Their response:

>>>> "We are always trying to make Garmin pilot better for Android but unfortunately the features currently available for iOS will not be available in the near future for Android."

I know that iOS:Android feature parity is a pipe dream for aviation apps, despite the fact that Android has commanding global market share.  But when I asked them about fltplan.com integration for the Android platform after their October 2018 announcement, they told me to watch for the next release.  It's now been 16 months with no progress.

I have a strong preference for Android, and I'm a paying GP customer, but I'm definitely getting the sense that the Android platform has minimal attention from Garmin.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, PTK said:

iOS is preferred over android. iOS has vastly superior hardware and software integration. 

My personal preference is for the Android platform, but I definitely don't want to start an iOS vs Android thread here ---- I just wanted to share info with MS users about the current state of GP features.

My personal preference is for the Android platform, but I definitely don't want to start an iOS vs Android thread here ---- I just wanted to share info with MS users about the current state of GP features.

Understand, but this has always been the case with GP. I personally wouldn't have a need for my mini-ipad if it wasn't for flying. My wife, also a pilot has been using an older mini that won't support IOS 13, so now we're looking at buying a new mini for her just to fly with running GP with the new version to match mine. I consider it just another cost of flying like charts.
The new version has a lot of updates, some are pretty cool. I like those that make my pre-flight planning more accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I have always had Android phones and since I started using GP 5+ years ago, it was clear iOS was the focus. Likely to compete with ForeFlight, which is iOS only. I had a Samsung tablet, but GP would frequently crash.

In the interest of sanity and safety I bought an iPad mini used and dedicated it to the aircraft. I just bought my 2nd and still think it was the right decision, even for an Android person. It just works and I'm on the latest stuff. I do keep my phone up to date as a backup and it's fine for that.

• Like 1

Quick summary...

What we have learned over the years...

1) Hardware is what makes things capable...

2) Operating systems require lots of updates to enable the all’s the hardware details that are available...

3) App writers put all this capability in the hands of pilots...

4) Pilots then have to learn all the functions...

Wow! It takes a lot to make this a successful finished / usable device...

Change is a challenge to get used to...

One positive change that has come over the years... I devices have become much lower in cost, then when the iPad 1 first rolled out...

PP thoughts only, bought my first I device to run WingX a decade ago...

Best regards,

-a-

I am a strong android and pc guy. But i just bought an ipad mini strictly for flying. I dont use it for anything other than flying so i dont care about the softwhere. 85% of the time, im using the foreflight software anyway. I also think foreflight is more user friendly than GP.

30 minutes ago, carusoam said:

How many devices are you guys sharing your favorite app on?

I am using WingX on a phone and a tablet... both in the plane and at home... same two devices, they travel in a pair... 

Best regards,

-a-

I use GP on an Android tablet and an iPhone. The iPhone is just a cockpit backup AI driven by a panel AHRS. 

For planning/filing purposes, I always use fltplan.com.

• Like 1

Another +1 on Avare.   I fly with a small tab on the yoke, a bigger one on my knee, an old phone (with Avare) in my bag, and if I have a passenger they get my old small tab with Avare to follow along the map and help spot traffic.

Tabs are cheap and easy backup.   Since Avare is free, it's easy to just have a bunch of them.  My big tab (with enough memory) also has Fltpln Go on it since it is also free, and then I have some software diversity as well in case Avare suffers some kind of bug or failure.

Free redundancy is a nice thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

How many devices are you guys sharing your favorite app on?

I am using WingX on a phone and a tablet... both in the plane and at home... same two devices, they travel in a pair... 

Best regards,

-a-

Garmin pilot on : samsung s10+, stays in my pocket.

Samsung s6 on yoke  : plates, nav, etc..

IPad Mini 5 attached to glareshield : traffic, weather

• Like 1