For a couple of years I've been advocating a FAQ section because there is a wealth of information on this site.  This wealth is obscured by the odd search engine that places primacy of information on how recently it was posted, not in optimally matching the search string content.  Most folks don't know to use outside search engines to search MS.  That should be the first article in a MS FAQ: Searching Mooneyspace

What I observe is n00bs join MS, get excited about all things Mooney, ask questions that are frequently answered by other n00bs, poorly.  That is unless @carusoam gets to it first.   The problem lies in the fact that most likely there is a thread that answers their question expertly.   Thinking to the future, I still think having a place where threads that contain mostly complete re-hashes of commonly asked questions with a chain of good answers should be collated in a FAQ section.  

In the absence of a FAQ, would it be possible to nominate threads to that level?   Would it be possible to change the thread name somehow to indicate that it is worthy of reading by nOObs?  Maybe we could have a "spring clean" where good, informative, threads are nominated, and those deemed by old-timers (not me) to be worthy are put in a FAQ section of MS.  Just an idea.  I'd be happy to help.  I'm sure others would too.

After 2-1/2 years of actively monitoring this site, it is tough to see the same questions being asked repeatedly and the quality of the answer depends on who is answering.  What folks get now ranges from good, to bad, to potentially dangerous, and occasionally excellent.  Well, we have some threads with excellent answers on this site.   They have become needles in the MS haystack.    I think it is time for a FAQ section.

Another benefit: it will free up more time for us to resolve important issues like ROP/LOP operations, cloth vs. leather, two-vs-three blades, the fate of the Mooney factory, and the effectiveness of @Marauder's loading strategy on CG during boarding.:P

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Yetti said:

I tried once.  It went south fast.   I gave up

A select group of known users with editorial authority can identify threads or pieces thereof, edit for clarity, focus, and content, and move them into the FAQ.  They should not be controversial, nor should they be editable by normal users.  This work should be done offline and just posted when ready.  Did you try that?

Properly done it will be frictionless and controllable.  I publish a lot.  If your past experience went sideways it was not correctly designed and/or implemented.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davidv said:

Some ideas on FAQs that are sure to spur no debate:

1) Should I be running LOP or ROP?

2) Why did Mooney go out of business?

3) What could have Mooney done differently to sell more airplanes?

I would leave out subjects that are purely subjective like #2 and #3 above.  IF there was such a section, answers should be fairly objective such as:

1.  Advantages of running LOP.

2.  Advantages of running ROP.

3.  How to operate LOP.

4.  Techniques for a cold start on a fuel injected engine.

5.  Techniques for a cold start on a carbureted engine.

6.  Hot starts with fuel injection.

7.  Hot starts with a  carburetor.

8.  Airspeeds for landing.

9.  Typical cruise speeds for a C, E, F, J, K, ...

• Like 4

For those in a different humor zone.... always add a :) to go with that...

Depending on many things... some really good humor doesn’t get picked up... by everybody...

It’s not anyone’s fault... just the way people are over vast Numbers of miles, years of age, and differences in favorite sports teams...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

See what i mean?  :)

• Like 1

In terms of  FAQs I think of Qs like these: 

0.  What constitutes a pre-purchase inspection?

1.  I'm considering buying a pre-J model Mooney.  What are the gotcha's?

2.  I'm considering buying a J or newer Mooney.  What should I watch out for?

3. I just bought an pre-J Mooney, what should I consider doing first?

4.  My tanks are leaking, what can I do?

5. What maintenance can I do as an owner on my Mooney?

6. Is Mooney transition training important?

7. I'm a new Mooney pilot and I'm having trouble slowing down.  How?

8. Is the PC system worth keeping?

9. What is SB208?  Why is it important?

4 hours ago, jlunseth said:

I would just like to know how to turn photos right way around.

if using an iPad....

use the photo editor to rotate the pics...

Older version of the photo editor... don’t know the pics are misaligned... rotate them completely, save, repost...

Newer iPads you can see the photos are misaligned... rotate them as required... 90° ?

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, jlunseth said:

I would just like to know how to turn photos right way around.

If on a Mac...

Dragging the photo directly from the Photos app to your post, might or might not display correctly. 

If it's sideways or upside down, delete the photo from your post and try again.

Export the photo from the photo's app to your desktop. Open the photo in Preview and rotate as needed. 

Import the now correct photo to your post here on MooneySpace.

54 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

If on a Mac...

Dragging the photo directly from the Photos app to your post, might or might not display correctly. 

If it's sideways or upside down, delete the photo from your post and try again.

Export the photo from the photo's app to your desktop. Open the photo in Preview and rotate as needed. 

Import the now correct photo to your post here on MooneySpace.

Thanks, yes, I have done it that way.  Its a pain.  The site appears to display any photo in landscape, so the photo has to be edited to display right side up in landscape view, then there is a 50-50 chance it won’t be upside down.  There must be an easier way?

FAQ:  WHERE CAN I FLY TO LUNCH?

Change the airport (KTCL) to your home drome (e.g. KWTF), then change the search radius if you want (200) NM?, and whether or not it must be on the airport (1) or not (0)

Search here: http://www.fly2lunch.com/results.php?apt=KTCL&radius=200&onApt=1

Thanks to @flight2000 for the reminder.

15 hours ago, jlunseth said:

Thanks, yes, I have done it that way.  Its a pain.  The site appears to display any photo in landscape, so the photo has to be edited to display right side up in landscape view, then there is a 50-50 chance it won’t be upside down.  There must be an easier way?

I'm guessing it's an issue with the forum software.  WAY too many people post sideways pics for it to be user error.....and I say that knowing some of the users...….

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

46 minutes ago,  0TreeLemur said: 

If only MS had a moderated FAQ section.   It seems that the first post in this thread would be a fantastic entry, locked, with no commentary after it.  Anybody agree?

I agree.

I think there should probably be 3 sections: FAQ- Maintenance, FAQ- Ownership, and FAQ- Flight Instruction.

Gatekeepers would receive input from members and then post it to their section by submitting it to @mooniac58.  They would be automatically paid up as a “Supporter” and would be the gatekeeper(s) for their section.  If they were to use the section simply to build up their own business, instead of for the general good, they would be replaced as gatekeeper.

For FAQ- Maintenance I nominate @M20Doc, @cliffy, and @jetdriven.

For FAQ- Flight Instruction, I nominate @donkaye and @kortopates for a start.

For FAQ- Ownership, I nominate @gsxrpilot, @KLRDMD, and probably @carusoam.

• Thanks 2

Having a FAQ section implies that some things are settled facts. As a community, we don’t generally agree on anything. Having a gatekeeper for a section will impart that gatekeeper’s own biases in that section.

Instead of the FAQ answering questions, how about just showing a list of links to previous threads about those subjects? 

I realize this just becomes a glorified search function, but it is obvious the new comers struggle with searching. And to that point, if they can’t find the search function, what makes you think they will find the FAQ function? 

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1