edm-900 on the right side?

12 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

You can change the orientation in settings.

Yes, but you can't change the laws of physics. Since the product is asymmetrical if you're like me(and apparently others) where you want the mounting portion on the bottom so the display extends over stuff above the hole instead of below AND the buttons on the right for the aesthetics or improved viewing angle they have to physically move the screen. And having them do it is way cheaper than cutting a new panel to move the hole if you're using an existing hole.

Edit, helpful diagram:

screenshot_17.png

Edited by Steve W

3 minutes ago, Steve W said:

Yes, but you can't change the laws of physics. Since the product is asymmetrical if you're like me(and apparently others) where you want the mounting portion on the bottom so the display extends over stuff above the hole instead of below AND the buttons on the right for the aesthetics or improved viewing angle they have to physically move the screen. And having them do it is way cheaper than cutting a new panel to move the hole if you're using an existing hole.

Ah ok gotcha . . . I thought for sure I could change the laws of physics, but once again, I'm wrong . . lol :D

1 hour ago, Steve W said:

Edit, helpful diagram:

screenshot_17.png

Or, buy the adapter to flush mount it, then you should be able to do it, I think. Can't find where you can buy it from AS but the one I have coming from @Jeev will have the flush mount adapter.

https://wolfaviationsales.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fjpi-edm-900

43 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Or, buy the adapter to flush mount it, then you should be able to do it, I think. Can't find where you can buy it from AS but the one I have coming from @Jeev will have the flush mount adapter.

https://wolfaviationsales.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fjpi-edm-900

https://www.chiefaircraft.com/jpi-700830.html

image.png.9968f47324f5db299719ddd6cc3d1730.png

I did the flush mount in order to make it work. I really prefer the left side. I have had both. I know the panel looks a little rough, but I am waiting to complete the panel depending on the certification of the AV30 units and the ability to drive the s-tec. Hoping to not have to go the Garmin route..... but that's a whole different topic :)

IMG_7508-1.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Or, buy the adapter to flush mount it, then you should be able to do it, I think

Don't you have to cut the panel to use the flush mount adapter, which is what we're trying to avoid (I am going through the process now as well)?

I've been convinced that I need to have it in the LHS panel, so out goes the ADF, aka the in-flight entertainment center, in goes the EDM.  If I put it RHS, yeah, no problem.

What I am not certain on is what actual info I loose in a portrait installation in a 6 cylinder plane.  Looks to me like it's all there, just laid out differently.

1 hour ago, tmo said:

What I am not certain on is what actual info I loose in a portrait installation in a 6 cylinder plane.  Looks to me like it's all there, just laid out differently.

In a 6 cylinder + turbo plane, you'll lose the little numbers at the top of the EGT bars. You still have the specific number scrolling through in scanning mode. But you don't have the number on the top of of each bar.

• Thanks 1

Thank you; this doesn't seem like a very significant downside.  Benefits of placing on LHS > downsides of portrait orientation.  Case closed.

OK, this one seems obvious, but I'll ask anyway - if/when I redo the panel and can move to landscape, the change is just a few button presses, right?  Unless I manage to put it in the "one bad angle" and have to send it back to JPI (another "WTF" moment, but I'm [slowly] learning to deal with those).

Edited by tmo

12 minutes ago, tmo said:

OK, this one seems obvious, but I'll ask anyway - if/when I redo the panel and can move to landscape, the change is just a few button presses, right?  Unless I manage to put it in the "one bad angle" and have to send it back to JPI (another "WTF" moment, but I'm [slowly] learning to deal with those).

Correct.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2020 at 7:16 AM, Dream to fly said:

I have my EDM 900 on the right side of my radio stack and I don't have issues. The text is small and they cram alot of info on the screen otherwise not a problem

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

How about mounting at a tilt angle. We have done this before. Please PM me if you want to know more

On 2/23/2020 at 10:35 AM, 0TreeLemur said:

I really like having it on the right side.   It is there when I need it, and not in my scan so I don't waste time looking at it too often.  

In a flying lawnmower with wings it is not a waste to spend an enormous amount of time looking at your oil pressure and temperature...also your monoxide sensor.... 

If you wait for alarms to go off it may be to late,,,you must track the trends in your mind....

everything else is just fluff.......

• Like 3