edm-900 on the right side?

55 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Unfortunately no, it would stick above the glareshield.  It's looking like if I want it on the left, I'll have to entirely redo that panel.

My only other thought is I could get the trutrack that fits in a 2" hole and replace the clock. I'll just have to look back there and see if there's room.

I'm really trying to avoid messing with the left side.  

What about the flat Trutrak? I don't know the dimensions, would it fit under the 900? 

44 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Yeah, I just had a picture in my head and it's not working out how I wanted.  :P

Maybe I'll just wait till I have it in my hands and can play around with it in different locations.

Anyone have any idea roughly how long it took to come once you ordered it? It looks like the longest wait will be for the cies senders, they're saying March 7th for shipping

No idea on the exact time frame. I ordered mine January 17th. The cies senders arrived last week, still waiting on the EDM900. 

The right side is within limit and "legal" for this orientation of installation.

From a cockpit flow perspective, I do scan this instrument, but it's not part of my primary scan.  Not to minimize its importance, but my 900 in this position is more than adequately readable and appropriate for my needs.  I agree that you shouldn't be messing with your left side to accommodate this.  A landscape installation on the right would look amazing in your panel, and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Steve

IMG_0018.JPG

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Skates97 said:

What about the flat Trutrak? I don't know the dimensions, would it fit under the 900? 

No idea on the exact time frame. I ordered mine January 17th. The cies senders arrived last week, still waiting on the EDM900. 

Damn.  I was hoping maybe a week lol.  

Did you order direct? 

29 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Damn.  I was hoping maybe a week lol.  

Did you order direct? 

Nope, went through @Jeev, but he put the order through right away. JPI did have their rebates going on so perhaps increased orders stemming from the rebates is increasing fulfillment times?

4 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Nope, went through @Jeev, but he put the order through right away. JPI did have their rebates going on so perhaps increased orders stemming from the rebates is increasing fulfillment times?

It sure seems like the rebates are in effect almost the entire year now...  however, I think the number of panel overhauls right now is plentiful and adding a primary gauge is smart thinking for many owners. 

On 2/24/2020 at 2:34 PM, MIm20c said:

It sure seems like the rebates are in effect almost the entire year now...  however, I think the number of panel overhauls right now is plentiful and adding a primary gauge is smart thinking for many owners. 

Yeah, I talked to JPI today.  4-6 weeks

For what it’s worth, mine is going in like this as we speak. The lease invasive way to install it.... right side, portrait (personally think it displays better with a 4 cyl this way), and up high. 
GPS and G5’s going in next year. Just can’t splurge for all of that at once. At least this keeps the left side free for imagination. 

B7F2F402-8B3B-4B08-B560-B03DB7B9C8BB.png

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I would get rid of the tach and the engine gauges above it.

Thanks. This was the beginning of the install, when he snapped a photo confirming the location. It’s all out now. Just haven’t seen it yet. 

If you do choose portrait, suggest rotating it 180-degrees from where you had it in your to put the buttons on the right rather than the left.  That way, your hands don't obstruct your view when manipulating buttons.  I know your 900 doesn't require it, but with the MCI SAM instrument (MD-302 standby attitude module), a portrait installation is done where it places the knob farthest away from the pilots "twisting" hand so as not to block the display when twisting the knob.  Many installers seem to forget that when they design and build out a panel.  Just a thought...

image.png.9326d449ee85baf83f3807c25fd8c863.png

7 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

So why not go landscape mode with the installation of the 900?  What else are you putting over there that would prohibit that orientation?  Just curious...

I prefer this orientation with a 4 cyl engine. Appears there’s a lot of empty space where the CHT/EGT bars are with a 4. 
just call it personal preference. 

1 minute ago, GLJA said:

I prefer this orientation with a 4 cyl engine. Appears there’s a lot of empty space where the CHT/EGT bars are with a 4. 

8E38CFB9-9CEF-43CF-89C5-71525A6061A2.jpeg

54CF21D2-B8A4-4099-8BDD-B45B4428AF74.png

7 hours ago, GLJA said:

54CF21D2-B8A4-4099-8BDD-B45B4428AF74.png

The only reason I couldn't live with a JPI900 in portrait mode is that the "EDM JPI TSO" silk screen "label" is sideways. I'd have to carefully use a Q-tip and a little acetone to remove that . . lol.

JPI's brochure on the 900 doesn't even show the label 

783655208_ScreenShot2020-03-04at3_24_48PM.thumb.png.19f2d1db87aa54fc646d6a8e7f6c7383.png

The folks at JPI still say that the landscape mode is the preferred mode but they put the option for panels that couldn't accommodate it.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

The folks at JPI still say that the landscape mode is the preferred mode but they put the option for panels that couldn't accommodate it.

... what do they know? LOL. 
In all reality, if I hate it, I'll change it. 
Thanks for the acetone idea. it was either that, or a small piece of vinyl wrap. 

3 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

If you do choose portrait, suggest rotating it 180-degrees from where you had it in your to put the buttons on the right rather than the left.  That way, your hands don't obstruct your view when manipulating buttons.  I know your 900 doesn't require it, but with the MCI SAM instrument (MD-302 standby attitude module), a portrait installation is done where it places the knob farthest away from the pilots "twisting" hand so as not to block the display when twisting the knob.  Many installers seem to forget that when they design and build out a panel.  Just a thought...

JPI actually recommends this change due to viewing angles(portrait with the buttons on the right). I sent mine back and they flipped the display for free.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GLJA said:

I will probably put my 900 in portrait as it matches the layout of my current 830 and the space on the right side seems to carry more information in portrait than landscape.

IMG_3556 (2).jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

The only reason I couldn't live with a JPI900 in portrait mode is that the "EDM JPI TSO" silk screen "label" is sideways. I'd have to carefully use a Q-tip and a little acetone to remove that . . lol.

Finally, a use for my laser 'cutter'... I could make a new logo to go there. 

• Like 2