edm-900 on the right side?

Playing with panel set up.  If I put it vertical on the left side, it blocks the bottom panel hole where I intend eventually to put the tru-track.  If I put it in the bottom hole, it runs into the controls for carb heat, cabin vent, etc.  

So, it looks like the right side is the only option and I can just squeeze it into the 21" limitation. 

Thoughts on readability, etc, on the right horizontal vs vertical closer to the instrument T?

M20C panel drawing-01.jpg

Playing with panel set up.  If I put it vertical on the left side, it blocks the bottom panel hole where I intend eventually to put the tru-track.  If I put it in the bottom hole, it runs into the controls for carb heat, cabin vent, etc.  
So, it looks like the right side is the only option and I can just squeeze it into the 21" limitation. 
Thoughts on readability, etc, on the right horizontal vs vertical closer to the instrument T?
1598456230_M20Cpaneldrawing-01.thumb.jpg.e9f89fa1afa4b0847ee5eef99462ae57.jpg
I have my EDM 900 on the right side of my radio stack and I don't have issues. The text is small and they cram alot of info on the screen otherwise not a problem

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I really like having it on the right side.   It is not in my primary scan so I don't waste time looking at it too often.   It is still easy to read on the right hand side of the radio stack though, and I look at it just the perfect amount.  After we put it in, the CFII who gave me Mooney transition training and later my IR said "don't fixate on it".   Good advice.  It is a heck of a lot more legible & useful than the Garwin cluster it replaced that used to be installed where the Accutrak II now is.

panel_Feb2020.jpg

4 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

I really like having mine on the right side.   It is there when I need it, and not in my scan so I don't waste time looking at it too often.   After I put it in, the CFII who gave me Mooney transition training and later my IR said "don't fixate on it".   Good advice.  It is a heck of a lot more legible & useful than the Garwin cluster it replaced that used to be installed where the Accutrak II now is.

panel_Feb2020.jpg

How did you get that orientation approved?

The STC says it has to be in "portrait" if more than 10" from the T.

Are the squares in the pictures g5's you are installing or have installed. Because the g5's can take 2 sources in, so you could techinically get rid of both CDI's. Youd still have a backup "CDI" since the AI has loc and glidepath on it the same way the hsi does, so that would be your back up navigation indicator.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

Are the squares in the pictures g5's you are installing or have installed. Because the g5's can take 2 sources in, so you could techinically get rid of both CDI's. Youd still have a backup "CDI" since the AI has loc and glidepath on it the same way the hsi does, so that would be your back up navigation indicator.

Only if his #2 NAV-COM has a digital output.

Edited by Steve W

1 hour ago, ragedracer1977 said:

How did you get that orientation approved?

The STC says it has to be in "portrait" if more than 10" from the T.

It says within +- 10 inches of the horizontal centerline, which to me implies above or below, not left or right. Admittedly it would have been better if they included a picture.

49 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

This is basically what my left side looks like now, but the extra CDI is gone. I have 2 empty 3" holes.  But if I put the EDM in the top one it blocks the bottom one, and it won't fit in the bottom one

Screenshot_20190122-195935_Photos.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steve W said:

It says within +- 10 inches of the horizontal centerline, which to me implies above or below, not left or right. Admittedly it would have been better if they included a picture.

It does! You're right.  I missed the "horizontal" verbiage

Is there room to move your lights to the left? Would that allow you to mount it portrait there but flip the other way from what you showed in your initial post, so it doesn't cover the bottom hole? That's how I'm planning to locate mine, but my warning lights are over above my AI. I don't think you have room above your G5, but maybe above your Altimeter? 

• Like 2

If you put the red light in the centerline or further left you are legal.

The gear switch is below the card compass and the engine light is just to the right of the gear switch.  I can see the JPI just fine from the left seat.

2C5B1D45-7581-4DDA-B034-D877E0774356.jpeg

Edited by MBDiagMan

Why use the important scanning location for the AP?

I often scan engine details in flight...    and touch the AP a couple of time during the flight when needed.

I don’t think I ever look at the AP to see what has changed?.?

If it needs to go on the right... the RAD covers the issue by putting the small alarm/MP/RPM display in from of the pilot.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Is there room to move your lights to the left? Would that allow you to mount it portrait there but flip the other way from what you showed in your initial post, so it doesn't cover the bottom hole? That's how I'm planning to locate mine, but my warning lights are over above my AI. I don't think you have room above your G5, but maybe above your Altimeter? 

Unfortunately no, it would stick above the glareshield.  It's looking like if I want it on the left, I'll have to entirely redo that panel.

My only other thought is I could get the trutrack that fits in a 2" hole and replace the clock. I'll just have to look back there and see if there's room.

I'm really trying to avoid messing with the left side.  

6 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I have 2 empty 3" holes.  But if I put the EDM in the top one it blocks the bottom one.

I don't see any issue with this. I'd put the EDM in the top hole, coming down and partially blocking the bottom empty hole. Put a blank in the hole and allow the EDM to cover part of it. You wouldn't need a new panel cut or anything.

4 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I don't see any issue with this. I'd put the EDM in the top hole, coming down and partially blocking the bottom empty hole. Put a blank in the hole and allow the EDM to cover part of it. You wouldn't need a new panel cut or anything.

Yeah, I just had a picture in my head and it's not working out how I wanted.  :P

Maybe I'll just wait till I have it in my hands and can play around with it in different locations.

Anyone have any idea roughly how long it took to come once you ordered it? It looks like the longest wait will be for the cies senders, they're saying March 7th for shipping

March 7 is almost here...

We can always reach out to the @fuellevel Cies guy for a tighter delivery... :)

Now the JPI is field adjustable... so if your JPI comes in before the fuel gauges are available...

Set-up on one type, then swap to the other when able...

No more sending back to the factory for float type change...  frequency vs. resistance...

Check the details, older models may still be sitting on the shelf.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1