First annual gone fantastic!

Tim Jodice

It is typical to hear people say that there first annuals revealed suprises and was expensive and I wanted to share that that is not always the case.

The prebuy turned up the main gear shocks were bad and that was the most expensive single repair. Before the annual I had to replace the muffler. According to the logs it was original.

It  is likely was not maintained by a shop that was good with Mooneys because everything except for the elevators were out of rig including the gear. He also found that the nose gear truss was assembled wrong making it a little squirrelly on the ground. 

I started a thread awhile back when I had just bought it I complaining about its speed because my friends unmodified F went faster. Naturally rigging everything helped In speed quite a bit and a little in climb. 

I did quite a bit of elective work to hedge against unscheduled repair. I replaced the brakes, tires/tubes, massive to fine wire plugs and replaced the regular landing light with an LED even though the all were ok at the time of annual. 

I also replaced the baffles because the old ones were in ok shape I would say a 5-6 out of 10 it made a noticeable improvement in cooling. Only the summer will tell.

If it isn't obvious I am super excited about this airplane! I put 86 hours on it before annual. 

Moral of my story is having a prebuy done by a shop that regularly work on Mooneys should prevent expensive suprises on your first annual. It certainly did for me.

Like they say you get what you pay for. 

• Like 9

Definitely agree with the above...before buying the prebuy was done in conjunction with an annual (at the sellers expense).  No cost for me for the pre-buy as the plane JUST came out of annual at an MSC.  First annual (a year later...) no major expense except for an ELT that failed the AD and had to be replaced...still a manageable expense.  Only first year expense was an alternator for my Bravo..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, airtim said:

That's amazing! I spent almost $800 on landing gear discs alone 

Just prior to the annual.

$2000 to Brittain to fix the PC system  OH AI and TC

$3000 to redo the engine.  Field rehab of 2 cylinders, new seals, ream 2 exhaust valve guides  Other stuff.

$3000 to OH prop

$300 new tubes and tires

The week of annual:

I pulled all the panels, lubed everything   the IA inspected and replaced the front gasket on engine.    I replaced the prop and wire tied it.   IA  inspected and signed off on everything.

Probably a good 40 hours of my time for the annual.  

all the work paid off.

Year 2 annual was $500.00

Same I did all the work.   IA did all the inspecting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bravoman said:

That seems very reasonable.

I think so too.  But it does make you wonder if the signature is worth $500, how does the rest of the Annual get done for a few hundred more.

Clarence

On 3/5/2020 at 5:02 PM, M20Doc said:

I think so too.  But it does make you wonder if the signature is worth $500, how does the rest of the Annual get done for a few hundred more.

Clarence

Like he says "you did all the work"