Sun N Fun Camping Newbie

Bryanmooney

Hello crew, 

I sold my mooney about 5 years ago but my boys are getting bigger now and I am getting the bug again. I have been to Sun n Fun several times but always stayed at a hotel. Does anyone have any recommendations on camping? I am planning on driving down and roughing it and tent camping and we are only able to be there for the weekend. It is my understanding i may be far away if we just setup camp. Would it be advantageous to try and find someone who has a plane and we could camp under their wing? Would this put us closer to the fun? I would appreciate any recommendations.  

Well, I can’t comment on Sun n Fun, but I can say that I camped at OSH a few nights and did the dorms one night.  While you are definitely roughing it more in a tent, it is immensely more fun than the dorms.  BS-ing with other owners, trading hangar stories & lies, airplane wake up calls.  I think much of the same would apply at sun n fun. 

• Like 2

There are a lot of us that do camp there. I plan on flying in early in the week and volunteer with the flightline tours. Come the weekend my friends show up and I trade in my work shirt for a party shirt.

Watching the airshow from under the wing is my preferred way to go now. First few years driving in you want to get close to the fence to get in the action but it's all the same nowadays. I'll take shade, a cooler, and less crowding as well as the company of my plane to watch the show.

I can't wait for it to get here!

Bring as much stuff as you can...

• Food and beverage...
  • extra clothes
  • food
  • beverage

Expect to enjoy the show(s)

There are threads around here with what to bring...

Use the search function to find them all...

Find Bob’s video of flying into SnF(?) from years ago...

Best regards,

-a-